Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Really interesting to hear about people's ideas. I have a few up my sleeves but have only been thinking about them the last few days, so W.I.P really.
    Anyone else attempting something? Has anyone made any money from their endeavours?
    If I wanted to create a website would I need to learn all about HTML and stuff?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cj-Tj)
    Do you have ANY idea about how little money that is to lauch a website. We do these kinds of studies at uni, and the ammount that other companies have thrown at auction websites and not succeeded is huge. EBay is struggling to break the Asian market, and they have allocated $10s of millions of dollars.

The brand reconition and loyalty is so strong I think you'll be lucky to get 0.001% of Ebay's business. Anyway, good luck.

You're being quite negative, that's not very considerate for someone's first entrepreneurial venture! I know it's good to be honest in business, but it's a bit hard to judge it when we knowl ittle about it except that it's an 'auction site'

Anyway, I personally would like to be an entrepreneur, I'd like to set up a chain of art galleries. And then, I'd like to open a night club.
    To me, I think I'd make quite a good businesswoman, especially if it was a project I was really interested in. I know it may sound strange, but I wouldn't want to just make money for the sake of it- I'd actually want to make a difference- especially as I'm passionate about culture.

ReputationRep:
    Seems an intresting model.

So you buy the items then list them as new?

Have you run this past any marketing/management agencies, or done any market research? Without trying to sound harsh (part of my degree is pulling appart business plans and looking for opportunities in the market) I think its an expensive and high risk stratergy. There are plenty of systems on ebay which can help buyers know they are getting a genuine product, and probally at a cheaper cost than you can retail/auction them off at....

If you think you've got a good chance then I wish you all the best, but I think your taking a huge risk and hope you havent borrowed too much to finance it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fillette)
    You're being quite negative, that's not very considerate for someone's first entrepreneurial venture! I know it's good to be honest in business, but it's a bit hard to judge it when we knowl ittle about it except that it's an 'auction site'
    I did a case on Ebay, competition, and new markets about 2 weeks ago. So while I am maybe being harsh, its because I know the facts involved, and I know how many other online marketplaces there are out there all competeting for business. So, sorry if it seems that way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ben_lines)
    Really interesting to hear about people's ideas. I have a few up my sleeves but have only been thinking about them the last few days, so W.I.P really.
    Anyone else attempting something? Has anyone made any money from their endeavours?
    If I wanted to create a website would I need to learn all about HTML and stuff?
    Same here, I've got an idea, but not sure how I'd go about setting up a website etc...

ReputationRep:
    This thread has just sparked something in my head. I want to do clothing design. Thanks a lot (I am being serious)

ReputationRep:
    Does it cost a lot to set up a website then? How are people getting enough money to pursue their endeavours?
    If anyone has any ideas or tips about how to set up a website pm me.

ReputationRep:
    Most of the ideas have been thought of/created
    i joke sometimes that had I been born 20 year earlier, im i would have come up with google or youtube lol

In reality now..you probably need a good amount of capital to invest and a lot of luck!

ReputationRep:
    A good website with some advanced features and functional database, including logo design etc will cost you around £10,000 - remember you will also need updates, maintenance and things like that, which can also cost around £10,000 p/a - There is probably someone more qualified to tell you this than me, but just for a basic idea.

ReputationRep:
    I've always loved the idea of becoming an entrepreneur - seeing Dragons' Den: Outside The Den makes it seem such an amazing lifestyle.

ReputationRep:
    Does it cost a lot to set up a website then? How are people getting enough money to pursue their endeavours?
    If anyone has any ideas or tips about how to set up a website pm me.
    Depends what you're site involves. If it's just installing a free piece of software like a forum or w/e then you only have to pay for hosting (cheap), domain (also cheap) and then advertising if you want/need ... which can get expensive depending on how you advertise.

If you need a site coded and designed from scratch then it will get expensive depending on how big the project is unless you can do it yourself.

Anyway, I run a forum but it's not even remotely profitable atm. Hoping it will be eventually but we'll see.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student2806)
    I've always loved the idea of becoming an entrepreneur - seeing Dragons' Den: Outside The Den makes it seem such an amazing lifestyle.
    You just reminded me that that's on tonight, thanks

ReputationRep:
    Ok, so how much would I be looking at to set up a "youtube style video hosting site" (not trying to give away to much)?

Guess we are talking £10XXX's

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cortez)
    You just reminded me that that's on tonight, thanks
    Peter Jones tonight. Should be a good one!
    Deborah Meaden's was quite boring last week.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student2806)
    Peter Jones tonight. Should be a good one!
    Deborah Meaden's was quite boring last week.
    Yeah it was a bit.

Theo's and James' were good ones.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cortez)
    Yeah it was a bit.

Theo's and James' were good ones.
    I really liked James' episode.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, so how much would I be looking at to set up a "youtube style video hosting site" (not trying to give away to much)?

Guess we are talking £10XXX's
    Tens of thousands, if it's big, which it'd need to be. Plus bandwidth costs etc.

But I wouldn't bother with that one, market saturation again - I could do one Google and reel off a long, long, long list of websites that are probably exactly what you're thinking of doing...

Today's entrepreneurs are going to have to start thinking outside the box - originality is very difficult these days but those who achieve it will reap the rewards. I would say to anyone that is under 18 to not really even consider starting a business until they get to university, where they will give you everything you need to develop your idea. If you start it prematurely from excitement, it usually ends up rushed and impossible to make a profit from - if you have agenuinely good idea, ask your parents and patent it for the future when you can really do something with it.

Just my opinion, of course

ReputationRep:
    The majority of web designers charge ridiculous amounts of money to businesses and budding entrepreneurs who don't really know any better than to pay that much. It is the man-hours behind maintenance, repairs and updates that is where the huge costs lie (or rather, where they should lie if anywhere). The fact is that a lot of websites made for businesses (smaller businesses in particular) can be built incredibly cheaply from available templates and freeware CMSs, and even designers with multiple clients often reuse their custom-made software and/or templates for no further costs other than the hours spent working and possibly hosting. I personally dislike using available software and templates and prefer to write my own.

I've had several entrepreneurial ideas in the past which have all gotten to a point where I've lost the motivation to go further. I still have them all, and with very little funding could get the majority of them off the ground, but I don't have the motivation to do so. If someone has any decent and original ideas, I'd love to hear them, PM me if you wish. I love programming and building websites, I just have little incentive to finish up any ideas of my own. But if anyone had any fresh ideas, and no deadlines as such, I have some free time to try and make websites for people. I just take ages to get anywhere as I can be an annoying perfectionist at times.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eklipz89)
    Most of the ideas have been thought of/created
    i joke sometimes that had I been born 20 year earlier, im i would have come up with google or youtube lol

In reality now..you probably need a good amount of capital to invest and a lot of luck!
    If you think there's no ideas left to get into now, then you probably would have thought exactly the same 20 years ago.

To the people that asked about website costs, it really does vary tremendously. If you have a knowledge of HTML and are making a basic website, you can run a website for £3 per month hosting and about £5 a year for a domain. So what, £40 a year? Then you have the massive websites, running on tens of servers, etc.. Paying hundreds of thousands a year to just run the thing.

If you want a complex website developed, you'll usually be talking way into the thousands to get it developed and designed, etc. We spend 4 figures a month on development these days and that's not starting from scratch, but maintenance of what we have and adding new features.

Basically what I'm trying to say is there's no minimum/maximum cost.. You can go into it with a fiver or a million. If you've got lots of software development experience you could develop the site for no cost, run it for a few quid a month and make an awful lot of money if you can bring it to market.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brook Taylor)
    The majority of web designers charge ridiculous amounts of money to businesses and budding entrepreneurs who don't really know any better than to pay that much. It is the man-hours behind maintenance, repairs and updates that is where the huge costs lie (or rather, where they should lie if anywhere). The fact is that a lot of websites made for businesses (smaller businesses in particular) can be built incredibly cheaply from available templates and freeware CMSs, and even designers with multiple clients often reuse their custom-made software and/or templates for no further costs other than the hours spent working and possibly hosting. I personally dislike using available software and templates and prefer to write my own.

I've had several entrepreneurial ideas in the past which have all gotten to a point where I've lost the motivation to go further. I still have them all, and with very little funding could get the majority of them off the ground, but I don't have the motivation to do so. If someone has any decent and original ideas, I'd love to hear them, PM me if you wish. I love programming and building websites, I just have little incentive to finish up any ideas of my own. But if anyone had any fresh ideas, and no deadlines as such, I have some free time to try and make websites for people. I just take ages to get anywhere as I can be an annoying perfectionist at times.
    If you're good at it, charge for it. That's a form of entrepreneurship in itself!

Remember, your time is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it - if you know most places charge like a rhino for web development, come in at a lower price and take their business, but don't give it away for free..

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.