The Student Room Group

Council houses

Hey I’m asking for a friend, about council houses in the UK. So they have a few Qs.1) do you have to pay for bills in council house?2) is there free wifi?
Original post by Alevelhelp.1
Hey I’m asking for a friend, about council houses in the UK. So they have a few Qs.1) do you have to pay for bills in council house?2) is there free wifi?

1) yes
2) no
Yes, you have to pay all the bills.

No they do not provide free Wifi

They lease you the house cheap, that's it. You are a tenant like anyone else who has to pay their own bills.

(If you were unemployed/part time employed you would be able to apply for Universal Credit which would pay money towards rent, bills and wifi, but these things do not come with the council house itself)
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Alevelhelp.1

Your friend needs to be aware that there are long waiting lists for council housing and even if you get on the list, you're not guaranteed a home. Try reading the following:

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/housing/social-housing/applying-for-social-housing/getting-a-council-home/

Quick Reply

Latest