Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have just received my preliminary marks for my IB2 year, and as expected, my incompetent biology teacher have caused me great distress. He has given me only a 5 in BioHL, despite me getting 6s and 7s on the tests in both IB1 and IB2. When I asked him why he said it was because of my IA grade. What about it then? Well, since I got very low marks on three out of the five labs we have done (way below average grade), he gave me low IA grade. However, I have 2 very good labs which I've gotten almost full marks on.

Now, isn't the teacher supposed to send in the 2 BEST labs for moderation, and that would determine my IA grade??? (These two labs are for the Data collection/analysis and Conc & Eval parts. We have yet to do design labs)

I swear I'll kick hiss little ass back to whichever midget island he comes from if he screws up my biology grade. :mad: :mad:

ReputationRep:
    it is 2 best but that means: 2 from Design, 2 from DCP, and 2 from CE.

That's a total of 6 you need to send off and given the information you said, it looks like you're 1 short? Thus he'd have to send the 3 bad ones as well anyways which brings your mark down and thus IA down.

IAs are out of 6, so times 6 is 36. Then you add up to 6 for group 4 project, and add up to another 6 for manipulative skills, making the total out of 48).

If you assume you got 5 for DCP and 5 for CE, and then the 3 others are 3 that is 19. If you get a 5 in your 6th you're up to 24/36, add on group 4 and manipulative skills, you should get at least 3 in each therefore you should be at 30-36/48. I heard somewhere that 30 or 32/48 is a 6 and 38 or 40 is 7. Not 100%, but still thats not too bad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G O D I V A)
    it is 2 best but that means: 2 from Design, 2 from DCP, and 2 from CE.

That's a total of 6 you need to send off and given the information you said, it looks like you're 1 short? Thus he'd have to send the 3 bad ones as well anyways which brings your mark down and thus IA down.

IAs are out of 6, so times 6 is 36. Then you add up to 6 for group 4 project, and add up to another 6 for manipulative skills, making the total out of 48).

If you assume you got 5 for DCP and 5 for CE, and then the 3 others are 3 that is 19. If you get a 5 in your 6th you're up to 24/36, add on group 4 and manipulative skills, you should get at least 3 in each therefore you should be at 30-36/48. I heard somewhere that 30 or 32/48 is a 6 and 38 or 40 is 7. Not 100%, but still thats not too bad
    Thats not correct. You send at least 2 to 6 IAs in. You send 2 in if you get you best marks for the 3 criterias in one go . You send 6 in if your best marks are scattered around 6 diff. IAs.

Answering your question: if you get 2 good ones (how good actually, give specific scores), then you should be getting 6s and 7s, despite the bad ones you did (only your best 2 for each criteria are counted). But yeah, i think you should do more IAs (increase chance of getting higher marks, and to meet the IB criteria to do 40 hours of IAs for SL, 60 hours for HL.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jc_bach)
    Thats not correct. You send at least 2 to 6 IAs in. You send 2 in if you get you best marks for the 3 criterias in one go . You send 6 in if your best marks are scattered around 6 diff. IAs.
    That is what I said. Sending 2 in because you got the highest in all 3 would be sending 6 in. Those 6 would be the 2 best in each criteria, hence when i said

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G O D I V A)
    manipulative skills
    I really shouldn't be asking this, but what are 'manipulative skills'?

ReputationRep:

Answering your question: if you get 2 good ones (how good actually, give specific scores), then you should be getting 6s and 7s, despite the bad ones you did (only your best 2 for each criteria are counted). But yeah, i think you should do more IAs (increase chance of getting higher marks, and to meet the IB criteria to do 40 hours of IAs for SL, 60 hours for HL.)
    Thanks for the quick reply. : )

I got 9/12 on both of my two best labs. They both were on the DCP and Conc & Evalutation. So for those two sections, DCP and conc&eva, I'm basically set, meaning I don't have to worry about my bad ones (on the same things) right?

ReputationRep:
    It should be noted that you must have at least done 2 practicals have criterias for D, DCP and CE. And i think you should be getting 6s for each criteria (if you have done alot of IAs, you would know the format)

Manipulative skills are you skills to do practicals (judge by your teacher) it is out of 6 points. You will be judged how well you are using apparatus and obtaining your data.

ReputationRep:
    Manipulative skills are you skills to do practicals (judge by your teacher) it is out of 6 points. You will be judged how well you are using apparatus and obtaining your data.
    no it's only based on group 4project (from 2009)

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Applying to university
Uni match

Your perfect course is here

Let our match making tool match you up with your ideal uni

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.