The Student Room Group

GCSE physics Grade 8/9 help

Hi, so I’m fine with all my subjects except Physics, I use the spec and the revision guides to learn the content, and would say I’m pretty good at it, but the exam questions really put me off, for my mocks in year 10 just about got a 6, for instance I have just finished all the content now and just looked at a past paper and am honestly so lost and how to apply the knowledge the wording is just too hard.

I get that should practise by doing loads of Exam Questions over and over again but when I do them off websites like Physics and Maths tutor, I realise that I’m mostly unable to answer the questions and find that I’m looking at the Mark Scheme and learning off that but having essentially “revised” the mark scheme with all the topics, none of the questions on my Year 10 mock were similar so ended up with a low grade

Any tips on what I should do will really help, btw thanks if you’re still reading, I’m just so confused on Physics :smile:
Reply 1
I'd suggest taking a notebook specifically for physics and making memorable notes on EVERY question you get wrong, as well as on the things you learn in class. Do another paper/more exam Qs, referring to your notes. Any time something is not in your notes, add it. When it comes to the exam, most of the content should be in those notes but if it isn't at least try and guess something. I can guarantee that for every question you don't know, there is at least 1 bit of information that should help you make an educated guess.
hope this helps, and good luck :smile:

also, email your physics teacher, they will understand!
Reply 2
Original post by Lily__S
I'd suggest taking a notebook specifically for physics and making memorable notes on EVERY question you get wrong, as well as on the things you learn in class. Do another paper/more exam Qs, referring to your notes. Any time something is not in your notes, add it. When it comes to the exam, most of the content should be in those notes but if it isn't at least try and guess something. I can guarantee that for every question you don't know, there is at least 1 bit of information that should help you make an educated guess.
hope this helps, and good luck :smile:

also, email your physics teacher, they will understand!

Thank you so much, I really appreciate it, I’ll make a notebook on it
Hi, so a little bit of background: In Year 9 I was on a 4 all year in physics. About halfway through Year 10 I improved to a 5 and in our summer mocks, I got a 6. In our November mocks in Year 11, I got a 6 again and then throughout Year 11 I kept improving with every class assessment, going from a 7 to an 8 right before I took my exams. I got an 8 overall and honestly, if you'd told me in Year 9/10 I was going to get an 8, I wouldn't have believed you as physics was always my worst subject. My favourite method for revising physics (and all my subjects) was through the website Seneca Learning. We were mostly practising exam questions in class so I didn't bother doing any at home and focused instead on Seneca Learning! Would highly recommend you check it out! :biggrin:
Reply 4
Hi,
I would also suggest reading the textbook for your board. The way I revise physics is going through my class notes, the textbook and then on physics and maths tutor, there are past paper questions for each topic which are very useful, especially before the end of topic test. You should practice all these before going on to look at full past papers and don't give up after one paper, practice makes perfect!
I hope this helps and good luck!! :smile:
(edited 1 year ago)
hi. I'm good at physics, maths and programming I would like to help you out with your tasks you can reach me out if you have a question. thanks
Original post by og-iconx
Hi, so I’m fine with all my subjects except Physics, I use the spec and the revision guides to learn the content, and would say I’m pretty good at it, but the exam questions really put me off, for my mocks in year 10 just about got a 6, for instance I have just finished all the content now and just looked at a past paper and am honestly so lost and how to apply the knowledge the wording is just too hard.

I get that should practise by doing loads of Exam Questions over and over again but when I do them off websites like Physics and Maths tutor, I realise that I’m mostly unable to answer the questions and find that I’m looking at the Mark Scheme and learning off that but having essentially “revised” the mark scheme with all the topics, none of the questions on my Year 10 mock were similar so ended up with a low grade

Any tips on what I should do will really help, btw thanks if you’re still reading, I’m just so confused on Physics :smile:

Heya!
I would recommend going through your past mocks and seeing WHY you lost the marks. Is it because you didn't use specific terminology etc? See if there is a trend or a specific topic you need to go over again :h: Identify the root of your mistakes and work up from there.

You need to be doing the questions without looking at the mark scheme. Attempt them without looking at the mark scheme and see how well you do. How do you typically revise? Do you use flashcards and notes?

Also if it helps, Study Mind has extra free physics resources like past papers, revision notes etc all done by topic!

I hope this helps!
Milena G.
UCL PFE
Study Mind
Reply 7
Original post by StudyMind
Heya!
I would recommend going through your past mocks and seeing WHY you lost the marks. Is it because you didn't use specific terminology etc? See if there is a trend or a specific topic you need to go over again :h: Identify the root of your mistakes and work up from there.

You need to be doing the questions without looking at the mark scheme. Attempt them without looking at the mark scheme and see how well you do. How do you typically revise? Do you use flashcards and notes?

Also if it helps, Study Mind has extra free physics resources like past papers, revision notes etc all done by topic!

I hope this helps!
Milena G.
UCL PFE
Study Mind

Hi thanks, I use flash cards and notes off using the spec and revision guides, I’ll use study mind hopefully it helps, I just need to start applying the knowledge
Reply 8
Original post by stillcrying
Hi, so a little bit of background: In Year 9 I was on a 4 all year in physics. About halfway through Year 10 I improved to a 5 and in our summer mocks, I got a 6. In our November mocks in Year 11, I got a 6 again and then throughout Year 11 I kept improving with every class assessment, going from a 7 to an 8 right before I took my exams. I got an 8 overall and honestly, if you'd told me in Year 9/10 I was going to get an 8, I wouldn't have believed you as physics was always my worst subject. My favourite method for revising physics (and all my subjects) was through the website Seneca Learning. We were mostly practising exam questions in class so I didn't bother doing any at home and focused instead on Seneca Learning! Would highly recommend you check it out! :biggrin:

Thanks for the motivation, I’ll use Seneca, did you just use Seneca and Past papers questions?
Original post by og-iconx
Thanks for the motivation, I’ll use Seneca, did you just use Seneca and Past papers questions?

Yep, I tried revision cards in Year 10 but they never worked for me. They work for a lot of people though!

Quick Reply

Latest