Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

Just thought i'd post another question as still not got energy to get out of bed with laptop

At the mo I tend to alternate days between cardio and weights so I can spend more time doing my weights and then also have restish days just doing cardio.

But I find treadmills/ x trainers and all them a bit monotonous(sp) and boring and so if I keep doing them i can see my motivation decreasing.

SO..I tend to just do Spinn classes and also go into the studio to do boxing and some like shuttle runs etc.

I just wanted to know how good spin classes generally are for your cardio and if I'm getting the majority of benefits still despite missing out running etc. (I do have to run each week playing for uni though).

Also, I think boxing is great way for training as its very tiring but does anyone know any good exercises with just a punch bag, or a good website. MH said something about 20 jabs then change but would like some variety if anyone knows any?

ReputationRep:
    can i ask why your doing so much cardio in the first place? what are your goals?

ReputationRep:
    Shadow boxing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mattw89)
    Also, I think boxing is great way for training as its very tiring but does anyone know any good exercises with just a punch bag, or a good website. MH said something about 20 jabs then change but would like some variety if anyone knows any?
    Rosstraining, check out the free articles, investing in Infinite Intensity and/or Never Gymless would be a very wise decision. It has been mentioned numerous times before, it is even linked in the fitness sticky.

MH is crap for training advice, honestly, don't bother reading it for training advice or routines, there is far better advice out there. If you want to learn about some of the truths concerning fitness mags, supplements, steroid, use, etc watch Bigger Faster Stronger.

ReputationRep:
    Lol I have alot of goals tbh, I need to lose quite a good bit of weight, probably around 4 stone. I want muscle, and I need to get better stamina to boss the central midfield :P

I've got programmes and that but the main reason I'm probably doing so much cardio is just enjoyment really, find it relaxing after uni to put some music on. I'm not doing that much though, do get the odd full rest day!

But just wondering about the benefits of spin and boxing compared to the others.

Its working so far since end of september I've lost 1st 3lbs and started feeling muscles i never knew i had :P

ReputationRep:
    hes a footballer everyone. quick get him!!

ReputationRep:
    There will be a carry over between spinning and running.

Things like weighted sprints, tire drags, parachute sprints will all be better for sports though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lara C.)
    hes a footballer everyone. quick get him!!
    Rugby at heart!! Although this season I've packed it in for a bit.

Tell you what guys, your advice has all made me lose that weight though.

I just cant stop squat squat squatting

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bebbs)
    There will be a carry over between spinning and running.

Things like weighted sprints, tire drags, parachute sprints will all be better for sports though.
    is there anyway to replicate them things in a gym?? done parachute sprints for rugby training and they are really good.

find it more interesting doin stuff like that then bouncing up and down on a treadmill listening to maniac by flashdance

ReputationRep:
    Well unless your gym is unusually large, parachute sprints would be a pretty bad idea.

Much better to do them outside, your club might have some, ask to borrow them for a couple of days.

If not you can buy them online I found one in the sparq online store for about £40 inc p+p. I'm sure someone else has a better website.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 16, 2008
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.