The Student Room Group

Exercise

Hi can’t anyone help or recommend anything? I’m a full time nursing student second year and a single parent and have a part time job so nearly every hour of my life everyday is taken up. I really want to lose weight but can’t find the time for the gym, can anyone recommend anything I could buy for the home I was looking at a portable treadmill? Or any other suggestions?
Original post by Whatsit
Hi can’t anyone help or recommend anything? I’m a full time nursing student second year and a single parent and have a part time job so nearly every hour of my life everyday is taken up. I really want to lose weight but can’t find the time for the gym, can anyone recommend anything I could buy for the home I was looking at a portable treadmill? Or any other suggestions?

Cardio is important, but I don't think a treadmill is worth the investment.

Have you looked into any specifc exercise programs as opposed to just doing random exercises? If you haven't, it's a good place to start because you would need to account for your diet as well as your exercise regiment.

If you're just looking to lose weight, often a few dumbells, a bench, and pull up rack are enough. If you want recommendations on specific programs, let me know.
Reply 2
I have a set of dumbbells
Cheapest option is getting a half decent pair of running shoes and doing the couch to 5k programme. there's a free app that helps you do it

for losing weight, it's more to do with what you eat than what you burn. Eating a bit less/ eating more filling foods/ drinking less alcohol (whichever applies best for you) is the way to go
Original post by Whatsit

If your main goal is losing weight then that'll primarily be achieved via diet. However, exercise does have numerous health benefits, so is worth doing in addition to an appropriate diet. A portable treadmill would probably be good for cardio. To get some resistance training, you could do things like pressups, and maybe pullups if you can get a bar. Additionally, you could buy some adjustable dumbbells (i.e. ones that you can add and removal weight from) to do various other resistance exercises (shoulder press, lunges, curls, rows, etc.).
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Whatsit

As a nursing student I am assure you're aware you need to be in a calorie deficit to lose weight, so be mindful of diet too. If youre struggling to find time for the Gym, maybe getting some dumbbells and using them ever couple of days when you wake up in the morning.

Also any spare time you do have (even just 5 mins, maybe do some 10 push-ups, and just do more as you get better?

Quick Reply

Latest