Turn on thread page Beta
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by jjkkll)
    i was being sarcastic to the idiot who said bus, to get from heathrow to oxford.
    I'm sorry, but I still don't quite understand the point you're trying to make... The Airline bus is by far the easiest and quickest way of getting from Heathrow to Oxford. That's why several people have suggested it. What's so idiotic about that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hobnob)
    I'm sorry, but I still don't quite understand the point you're trying to make... The Airline bus is by far the easiest and quickest way of getting from Heathrow to Oxford. That's why several people have suggested it. What's so idiotic about that?
    :ditto:

ReputationRep:

No that is a Coach. if I'm not mistaken a coach and a but is not the same thing.

ReputationRep:
    No that is a Coach. if I'm not mistaken a coach and a but is not the same thing.
    B.A. in pedantry awarded, but only a 2:2 as marks lost due to pore speling.

DtS

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amar09)
    whats the nicest (most comfortable/straight forward) way of getting to Oxford? Also, is Heathrow the nearest airport?
    The cheapest one is the one I suggested(tube into London and Oxford tube to Oxford).
    The most straightforward way seems to be hobnob's suggestion(airline bus). The most comfortable must be the train, but it's quite expensive. (check National Rail website, Heathrow -> Oxford, day, time, etc)

Heathrow is not the nearest airport. There are other airports in London: Stanstead, Gatwick and Luton. They each have train stations nearby and buses and coaches that take you into London, Victoria station, where you can get the Oxford tube or another coach to Oxford.
    Birmingham International is also at a similar distance. But it might be more expensive to fly there.

jjkkl> assuming we grant you that, you still have quite a few problems with punctuation and I'm afraid you could hardly be called articulate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Derek_the_Sheep)
    B.A. in pedantry awarded, but only a 2:2 as marks lost due to pore speling.

DtS

no my spelling was perfect, yours on the other hand is far from it.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    no my spelling was perfect, yours on the other hand is far from it.
    Oh dear...

ReputationRep:
    Since I hate busses I always catch the train when travelling Heathrow-Oxford. As long as money is not a big issue, the nicest way to get there is to first take the Heathrow Express (15 mins) to Paddington and then to change there for a direct train to Oxford.

Simple as that. Can't remember the exact fares but you could easily find them online if you have a look. And don't worry, getting there shouldn't be a problem, getting in is another story...

ReputationRep:
    Oh dear...
    Rapidly moving from the B.A. in pedantry to an MSc. in balls-aching literal-mindedness from the Offshore University of Auchenshoogle.

DtS

ReputationRep:
    My birthday's on the 7th!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Azzrahelle)
    The cheapest one is the one I suggested(tube into London and Oxford tube to Oxford).
    The most straightforward way seems to be hobnob's suggestion(airline bus). The most comfortable must be the train, but it's quite expensive. (check National Rail website, Heathrow -> Oxford, day, time, etc)

Heathrow is not the nearest airport. There are other airports in London: Stanstead, Gatwick and Luton. They each have train stations nearby and buses and coaches that take you into London, Victoria station, where you can get the Oxford tube or another coach to Oxford.
    Birmingham International is also at a similar distance. But it might be more expensive to fly there.

jjkkl> assuming we grant you that, you still have quite a few problems with punctuation and I'm afraid you could hardly be called articulate.
    Only Luton is closer, but I imagine it would take longer to get to Oxford from there.

ReputationRep:
    Depends. I don't see why it would on the train. Unless there are fewer connections.

ReputationRep:
    Depends. I don't see why it would on the train. Unless there are fewer connections.
    You have to go through London from Luton.

ReputationRep:
    Are you sure there aren't direct trains?
    I don't have time to check. Sorry, I never tried it myself.
    If you do need to, then it takes 75 min to get into London by coach, from Luton. Another 5-25 to get on the Oxford tube/train. And then 1 h and 30 or 40 min. Works out to 4 hours max.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amar09)
    whats the nicest (most comfortable/straight forward) way of getting to Oxford? Also, is Heathrow the nearest airport?

Well I've made the trip a few times. Usually I take the Heathrow Connect to Paddington Station (cost £12 return) and then take a First Great Western train from Paddington to Oxford (cost £8 return if booked in advance). Total travel time is about 1 1/2 hours and I find it's much more comfortable and reliable than taking the bus because if you get stuck in traffic you're screwed.

Total cost is £20 so it's similar to a return with the bus.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meeper)
    Since I hate busses I always catch the train when travelling Heathrow-Oxford. As long as money is not a big issue, the nicest way to get there is to first take the Heathrow Express (15 mins) to Paddington and then to change there for a direct train to Oxford.

Simple as that. Can't remember the exact fares but you could easily find them online if you have a look. And don't worry, getting there shouldn't be a problem, getting in is another story...

Total will be for (Heathrow to Oxford) -

Heathrow Connect + First Great Western = £20

Heathrow Express + First Great Western = £38

Therefore, in my mind, Heathrow Express is not worth the cost considering the time savings over using the Heathrow connect is only about 15 min.

ReputationRep:
    Alternatively, you could get on a London tube(underground/metro) straight from Heathrow, on the Piccadilly line(towards North, either destination), and then change at Hammersmith and get on the District Line towards Upminster. Get off at Victoria station and ask a station LT employee how to get to the Oxford tube coach station. It's fairly regular, you don't even have to check times. It will get you to Oxford in about 1 h and 40 min. It's about 15 pounds return journey, if I remember correctly.
    I'm sorry, I'm sure you are being well-intentioned, but the journey you advise is sheer madness! OP - don't do it!!

In short, you'd be utterly insane when travelling between Oxford and Heathrow by public transport to use any method other than 'the Airline' coach. The website is here - http://www.oxfordbus.co.uk/main.php?page_id=23

It's half-hourly, takes just over an hour, and it'd be impossible to find a better value or more convenient alternative. So, thread closed.

(Apologies for the slightly unmeasured tone of this post, but there's some really bad advice being given here so I just thought I'd better make absolutely sure I get my point across so that the OP doesn't get lost/delayed or spend more money than necessary.)

ReputationRep:
    :ditto: Completely agree. What the OP needs is something that is a no-brainer when in a foreign country, tired, carrying luggage.

That is what the airline coach is. I find it a real godsend when I've returned to the UK exhausted at some ungodly hour after a long flight and just want to be taken to Oxford with minimal hassles.

DtS

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bochis)
    First Great Western train ... reliable
    Haha, good one!

The simplest method by far for Heathrow to Oxford is the Airline bus service. It's not expensive, it's fairly quick, it's incredibly easy and it goes right into the city centre where there's an adjacent taxi rank. Even someone who makes this journey on a regular basis probably wouldn't search out alternative complicated train connections. For someone making the journey for only the first time it is absolutely the only sensible option.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexander)
    I'm sorry, I'm sure you are being well-intentioned, but the journey you advise is sheer madness! OP - don't do it!!
    Ow! I was being well intentioned. Of course, I just explained what I'd do.
    There is no question of getting lost; I suggested the tube, for G's sake. A trained monkey would figure it out in 10 min.

But in terms of time/value/comfort, the Airline bus does sound like the best suggestion on the thread.
    I apologise, thank you for not letting my good intentions mislead anyone and concede the point.

University open days

1. University of Oxford
    All undergraduate colleges and departments Undergraduate
    Fri, 14 Sep '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.