Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Is there always a serious reason to worry if your kidneys hurt?

I've had kidney problems when I was a child.

I have been drinking a lot for the past year or so but not really recently.

I woke up yesterday with back pain (from carrying heavy boxes at work), which then turned into kidney pain (left side). It eventually stopped after some sleep and Nurofen. And today, the right one hurts.

I'm not asking for specific medicine advice because only the doctors can do that, blah blah, I would just like to know whether this is something I should worry about or should I just stick it out? A friend said kidneys can hurt from something like exposing your lower back to draft.

ReputationRep:
    The fact that you've had kidney problems as a child means I wouldn't suggest sticking it out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alenax)
    Is there always a serious reason to worry if your kidneys hurt?
    It could be as simple as you not going to the toilet enough and/or not drinking enough water, equally it could be a sign of damage.

I've had kidney problems when I was a child.

I have been drinking a lot for the past year or so but not really recently.
    So if you have a history of problems what is the point in drinking heavily?:confused:

At the very least cut out the alcohol if you haven't done so already, make sure you're drinking plenty of water (ie; until your urine is a pale yellow colour), go to the toilet when you need to, eat healthily and GO TO THE DOCTOR.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ch0c0h01ic)
    It could be as simple as you not going to the toilet enough and/or not drinking enough water, equally it could be a sign of damage.

So if you have a history of problems what is the point in drinking heavily?:confused:

At the very least cut out the alcohol if you haven't done so already, make sure you're drinking plenty of water (ie; until your urine is a pale yellow colour), go to the toilet when you need to, eat healthily and GO TO THE DOCTOR.
    To be honest, I don't remember the history very well, I think it was just one stint at the hospital (no ops or anything) and then some scans to follow up on, when I was about 8. Other than that, I've always been really healthy.

But sounds like something I didn't want to hear, I'll have to go to the doctor lol... In between handing in essays, going to lectures and working

ReputationRep:
    How can you tell its Kidney pain? It could be various other things...

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, I don't remember the history very well, I think it was just one stint at the hospital (no ops or anything) and then some scans to follow up on, when I was about 8. Other than that, I've always been really healthy.

But sounds like something I didn't want to hear, I'll have to go to the doctor lol... In between handing in essays, going to lectures and working

nothing wrong with the old pee check- it's all in the pee, can tell a lot from colour etc

ReputationRep:
    Sounds to me like musculo-skeletal pain - hx, bilateral, relived by NSAID, etc.

The two causes of kidney pain are infection (where you'd usually have UTI symptoms) and calculi (where it would be unilateral and there'd be no debate about the pain).

Drink whatever you like, so long as you're not acutely dehydrating yourself, you'll be fine (alcohol in itself has very little effect on the kidneys).

See your GP or go to a walk-in-centre if the pain continues or if you develop pain on passing urine, smelly urine, decreased output, urgency or fever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    Sounds to me like musculo-skeletal pain - hx, bilateral, relived by NSAID, etc.

The two causes of kidney pain are infection (where you'd usually have UTI symptoms) and calculi (where it would be unilateral and there'd be no debate about the pain).

Drink whatever you like, so long as you're not acutely dehydrating yourself, you'll be fine (alcohol in itself has very little effect on the kidneys).

See your GP or go to a walk-in-centre if the pain continues or if you develop pain on passing urine, smelly urine, decreased output, urgency or fever.
    Hmm there has been some pain on passing urine, that started a few days before though, I'm guessing that's probably related?

Ah, doctor's it is...

ReputationRep:
    Hmm there has been some pain on passing urine, that started a few days before though, I'm guessing that's probably related?

Ah, doctor's it is...
    'Fraid so.

It could be unrelated, I stand by musculoskeletal but there is a risk of pylonephritis, which is a UTI in your kidney, because that can have long-term consequences it's probably best to get a urine dip and an MSU sent off to be sure.

ReputationRep:
    Alright, that's all I needed to know, thanks guys!

ReputationRep:
    Oh, and just to let all you future doctors know :p: it turned out to be an infection

ReputationRep:
    A friend said kidneys can hurt from something like exposing your lower back to draft.
    My Grandma used to tell me this if my t-shirt was too skimpy. I'm fairly sure it's an old wives' tale.

Glad it's all sorted now, anyway.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 17, 2008
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.