Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Like many other people, I'm stuck with my A-Level choices.

Psychology or Geography?

So erm yess... any advice would be much appriciated

ReputationRep:
    In terms of being respected, choose Geography. But you seem to have an interest in both. Have you had any taster sessions on any of the subjects?

ReputationRep:
    Geography is probably a lot more useful in practice. Psychology is an intresting subject, but I doubt it would help you with your other subjects much and some Universities consider it a 'Mickey Mouse' subject.

I would say go for the one you have the most genuine passion for though, as you will be studying for two years so you may as well do something you actually enjoy.

ReputationRep:
    I probably more interested in Psychology but we haven't had a taster lesson yet so I can't really say.

I know that Geography is more widely liked which is why I'm considering it. Hmm I'm just wondering whether it really matters, as I'm probably going to go into Biology or Chemistry anyway.. =\

ReputationRep:
    Well, you can always drop one at the end of the year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alfonzo123)
    Like many other people, I'm stuck with my A-Level choices.

Psychology or Geography?

So erm yess... any advice would be much appriciated
    Well I am in my A2 Years of both Geography and Psychology.

You will be following the new specs which are way easier than the ones I am doing (Only AS) so both will be easy but A2 on both are very hard. TBH I like both but would always stick with Geography. Anyone who says Psycho is for losers don't know what they are taking about. Its my hardest A Level. SO Much to remember! geog is nice and relates to real life. Less work load and you will know a lot of the stuff already. Did you do GCSE in Geog? If so you will know most of the content already.

ReputationRep:
    geography by far, much easier to understand and to do well in. and you get field trips aswell.

ReputationRep:
    I did both for AS (and achieved A grades) but dropped geography because I just didn't enjoy it. Obviously I am not one to make academic decisions!

My advice is take Geography if you want a subject that looks good on your uni application or whatever. You gain more skills and the content is more varied. I can tell you it is pretty hard though. Don't think you're getting away from those case studies 'cause there are even more now than there were for GCSE!
    Take psychology if you want a subject with considerably less work involved =)

ReputationRep:
    Geography. :yeah:

Then again, I am biased.

ReputationRep:
    Psychology, but then again I hated Geography GCSE.
    Why don't you try out Psychology for a few weeks and if you aren't really enjoying it move to Geography? (Although obviously find out if your sixth form/college are easy-going about letting people change subjects first)

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.