Laptop needs reformatting but can't Watch

thatwhichiam
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
My laptop seriously needs reformatting. I have never reformatted it and I've been using it since Aug 06. It now takes about fifteen minutes to turn on properly and if I use it for a while it starts getting reeeeeaalllly slow.
The obvious solution is to reformat it, however, I'm kind of in Russia. I don't leave until Christmas and I don't have the resources to reformat it here, so what I'm asking is there any way to extend its usefulness because I'm getting extremely fed up with it. Like, Dad made the swap file (?) huge so it could do things faster.

Anything like that I can do while here so it doesn't run quite as slow?
Magnum Opus
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Delete some stuff and defragement it
James
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Get someone to send you all your software CDs from home and borrow an external hard drive from a friend. Then you can reformat wherever you are.
Magnum Opus
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
How much RAM do you have?
thatwhichiam
Rep:
?
(Original post by arisk01)
How much RAM do you have?
504 MB
thatwhichiam
Rep:
?
(Original post by James)
Get someone to send you all your software CDs from home and borrow an external hard drive from a friend. Then you can reformat wherever you are.
This sounds really simple, but the Russian postal system is so utterly ***** that it could take more than three weeks to get here, and is likely to have been nicked as it is software stuff, and there is no way my parents would DHL it over here.

Good solution, but in practice wouldn't work
gumbald
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Firstly:
Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Defragmenter

As that may take a while, report back after it's done.
i_hate_examz
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Why not just buy an external Hard Drive from Russia, put all the data you need onto that, and download vista/xp, and reinstall it from that ?

If your only needing to back up a relatively small amount of data (say up to 15gb) they it'll be cheaper just to burn your data on to several DVDs (although, if you do this, make sure your using good quality media)

You laptop may come with a utility to restore it to the day it was brought, so check for that.

Alternatively, delete anything you dont need, uninstall any programs your not using. Download and run CCleaner (http://www.ccleaner.com/) It'll get rid of any junk files etc.

Then run an indepth antivirus scan (prehaps download the 30-day trial of bit-defender)

After you've done all of this, then run a Disk Defragment (no point doing it first, as you'll just be defraggind data your later going to delete.)
gumbald
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by i_hate_examz)
...and download vista/xp, and reinstall it from that ?
That would be "illegal".
AsimSr2704
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
If you're using Windows XP then disable all visual effects and increase virtual memory.
AsimSr2704
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
You could also try removing memory resident programs that aren't useful and disable unneccessary startup services by using msconfig.

p.s. use msconfig only if you know how to, or you may accidentally change some vital settings which may mess up your laptop
Defcon
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by gumbald)
That would be "illegal".
It wouldn't be if she used her own key

Boot into safe mode and disable all start-up programs you don't need via msconfig.
Also run a scan whilst you're in there
gumbald
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Defcon)
It wouldn't be if she used her own key
Very grey area.
Jonny0204
Report 10 years ago
Living in russia though, i doubt microsoft can touch you. Or they wouldn't want to try. Look at allofmp3.com, i don't what exactly happened in the end, but at the beginning it looked like they were gonna just get away with it cos nobody wanted to infringe on russia's way of doing things.

anyways, the chances of u getting caught, times the chances of getting caught using another cd key again, equals very small chances of anything happening IMO lol

Now for the actual problem, defragment is the only way unfortunately without buying other things. Also, try AVG free virus scanner, should find some nasty stuff and remove it off your computer.
Keith_Dave
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Go into Start, "msconfig". Once that loads up, go into startup and uncheck programs that you do not require to be loaded from the start...

That should make it load up a lot faster.
thatwhichiam
Rep:
?
(Original post by arisk01)
Delete some stuff and defragement it
Firstly:
Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Defragmenter

As that may take a while, report back after it's done.
(Original post by Jonny0204)
Now for the actual problem, defragment is the only way unfortunately without buying other things. Also, try AVG free virus scanner, should find some nasty stuff and remove it off your computer.
Ok, I've defragged. Three times. I was told to report back...?

(Original post by AsimSr2704)
If you're using Windows XP then disable all visual effects and increase virtual memory.
Where/how?

(Original post by Keith_Dave)
Go into Start, "msconfig". Once that loads up, go into startup and uncheck programs that you do not require to be loaded from the start...
(Original post by Defcon)
Boot into safe mode and disable all start-up programs you don't need via msconfig
(Original post by AsimSr2704)
You could also try removing memory resident programs that aren't useful and disable unneccessary startup services by using msconfig.

p.s. use msconfig only if you know how to, or you may accidentally change some vital settings which may mess up your laptop
You all seem awfully keen on this msconfig thing but I don't know what it is and the last guy I quoted advised caution if I don't know how to use it...
gumbald
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Uninstall any programs you don't use first, then we can do msconfig.
spikeymike
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...2#post15319462
thatwhichiam
Rep:
?
Uninstall any programs you don't use first, then we can do msconfig.
That took a weeee bit longer than I thought it would, apologies, real life got in the way...

Msconfig?
thatwhichiam
Rep:
?
Thank you! I'll get one of them when I finish this msconfig business...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (108)
19.78%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (222)
40.66%
Nope, not that interesting (216)
39.56%

Watched Threads