The Student Room Group

Marbles and Medicine - hopefully *not* a tragedy

Hi :smile: and welcome to my blog!

I'm in year 13, I take bio, chem art and I'm applying for medicine (2023 entry).

This blog is my attempt at trying to feel in control so I don't completely lose my marbles due to stress, and I'm hoping I can meet lots of nice people here too! I'm going to try to post my whole medicine and y13 journey here, so let's hope this isn't going to be a tragedy.

Enjoy :smile:

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

About me

Spoiler

Academic profile

Spoiler

Goals for this academic year
i.e. goals for before I leave home for uni :'(

Spoiler

(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by maple's_marbles
Hi :smile: and welcome to my blog!

I'm in year 13, I take bio, chem art and I'm applying for medicine (2023 entry).

This blog is my attempt at trying to feel in control so I don't explode due to stress, and I'm hoping I can meet lots of nice people here too! Enjoy :smile:

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

About me

Spoiler

Academic profile

Spoiler

Wowww, your academic profile is amazinggg!
Original post by Angel_11
Wowww, your academic profile is amazinggg!

Thanks so much! I guess my lack of a social life has paid off so far lol

What year are you in?
I've just started Y12, and I'm taking maths, bio and chem; but I'm stuck between medicine and dentistry...what made you choose medicine? I've asked quite a few people for their opinions on both so that I can hopefully make up my mind.

And also, do you have any tips for the UCAT and BMAT, as well as what you'd advise a very indecisive person like me, to do to help make up my mind? Maybe some book recommendations? Or tips for work experience? Just any piece of advice would help tbh. Thanks!
Original post by Angel_11
I've just started Y12, and I'm taking maths, bio and chem; but I'm stuck between medicine and dentistry...what made you choose medicine? I've asked quite a few people for their opinions on both so that I can hopefully make up my mind.

And also, do you have any tips for the UCAT and BMAT, as well as what you'd advise a very indecisive person like me, to do to help make up my mind? Maybe some book recommendations? Or tips for work experience? Just any piece of advice would help tbh. Thanks!

I chose medicine over dentistry mainly because I was never interested in teeth and I couldn't really see myself ever becoming interested in them lol
I think I would enjoy how practical dentistry is but not the academic side of it

Have you done work experience? If not, then that could be really really useful to help you figure out what you want to do (for example, my work experience convinced me to U-turn and go only for medical courses with student dissection because I saw how much I would like surgery). You could also consider which are your favourite aspects of human biology and if you would rather learn about other body systems or go super in-depth on the mouth. This could be a complete misconception but it also seems to me that work-life balance is easier in dentistry so that might be something to think about. If you're still really really stuck, go for whichever you think is easier to study/get into. They're both really really great careers!

For the UCAT, what I did was about two weeks of super chilled-out practice (not even every day), then a week of holiday where I did absolutely nothing, then three weeks of practice (mostly medify) from breakfast to lunch 6 days a week, although on a couple of occasions I ended up eating lunch at about 16:00 oops
My main advice would be:

Don't do more than one full mock in a day; it's never worth the exhaustion

Don't pay for any expensive summer courses, they can't give you anything that isn't already available online for free or on something like medify

Don't burn yourself out! You need to be super focused on the day

Timing is everything - but when you're only just starting out, technique is more important

If you get medify, don't feel like you have to complete everything. They say things like "start practising at least 20 weeks in advance" but it's just to try to get you to pay their subscription for longer. I did about 10 full mocks in total, including the official ones from the UCAT website, and that was plenty for me to get my score

Obviously, I'm less qualified to talk about the BMAT because who knows what my score could be, but tbh all you can do is use the section 2 guide from the website (it's really useful) and do all the past papers. I did the ones from 2009-2021 and that was enough practice for me to be able to finish every section in the real thing, but, as I said, that could mean nothing as the results aren't out yet. Unlike the UCAT, I'd say it's not too early to start preparing for the BMAT, but at the moment, don't do more than just looking over old physics content and forcing yourself to do mental maths instead of using a calculator sometimes.

I hope that helps :smile:
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by maple's_marbles
I chose medicine over dentistry mainly because I was never interested in teeth and I couldn't really see myself ever becoming interested in them lol
I think I would enjoy how practical dentistry is but not the academic side of it

Have you done work experience? If not, then that could be really really useful to help you figure out what you want to do (for example, my work experience convinced me to U-turn and go only for medical courses with student dissection because I saw how much I would like surgery). You could also consider which are your favourite aspects of human biology and if you would rather learn about other body systems or go super in-depth on the mouth. This could be a complete misconception but it also seems to me that work-life balance is easier in dentistry so that might be something to think about. If you're still really really stuck, go for whichever you think is easier to study/get into. They're both really really great careers!

For the UCAT, what I did was about two weeks of super chilled-out practice (not even every day), then a week of holiday where I did absolutely nothing, then three weeks of practice (mostly medify) from breakfast to lunch 6 days a week, although on a couple of occasions I ended up eating lunch at about 16:00 oops
My main advice would be:

Don't do more than one full mock in a day; it's never worth the exhaustion

Don't pay for any expensive summer courses, they can't give you anything that isn't already available online for free or on something like medify

Don't burn yourself out! You need to be super focused on the day

Timing is everything - but when you're only just starting out, technique is more important

If you get medify, don't feel like you have to complete everything. They say things like "start practising at least 20 weeks in advance" but it's just to try to get you to pay their subscription for longer. I did about 10 full mocks in total, including the official ones from the UCAT website, and that was plenty for me to get my score

Obviously, I'm less qualified to talk about the BMAT because who knows what my score could be, but tbh all you can do is use the section 2 guide from the website (it's really useful) and do all the past papers. I did the ones from 2009-2021 and that was enough practice for me to be able to finish every section in the real thing, but, as I said, that could mean nothing as the results aren't out yet. Unlike the UCAT, I'd say it's not too early to start preparing for the BMAT, but at the moment, don't do more than just looking over old physics content and forcing yourself to do mental maths instead of using a calculator sometimes.

I hope that helps :smile:

Alright, thanks so much for your help! You've probably done really well on the BMAT anyway:biggrin:
So here's my first blog post :smile:

My plan for the rest of today, 01/11 (after a very late start)
12:30 - 14:00 Relearn C26 carbonyls + carboxylic acids for chem test 7th Nov more to do but I'm glad I made a start
14:00 - 14:30 Lunch
14:30 - 16:00 Relearn nutrient cycles for bio test 7th Nov not even close to finishing 😓
16:00 - 18:30 Work on online course
18:30 - 19:00 Dinner
19:00 - 20:00 Work on research project study introduction
21:00 - 22:00 Art annotations

Today, I learned that I should set myself smarter goals.
Tomorrow I'll add a realistic aim to complete for each time section and leave gaps between sessions.

Hopefully, I can force myself to wake up earlier tomorrow so I don't have to torture myself working so late again!

Tomorrow (02/11) I want to:
- Do as much of chemistry Ch18+19 as possible - ideally at least half of the material my teacher put on google classroom
- Practise saxophone + clarinet for at least an hour in total
- Finish CREST study introduction (at long, long, long last)
- Finish the textbook questions for ecology for my bio test
- Finish my Renaissance sketchbook page for art
- Take a couple of photos for art

I can already tell this is going to be too optimistic, but here goes!
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest