The Student Room Group

how the hell do you revise advanced higher (science) subjects?

I thought highers was difficult but advanced highers is ridiculous. It’s not like the coursework is just difficult like highers, it’s difficult, overwhelming and TEDIOUS!!! It takes me 4 hours just to “understand” a page of the chemistry course specification (I watch a lot of YouTube vids and take notes) and then when I do past papers it feels like I just wasted 4 hours of my life “understanding” because I cannot answer a single question. Then for maths there’s just so so much steps to memorise and making a single mistake can butcher your answer so bad, and I make several! There’s a 1 in 10 chance my answer matches the one in the book! Please, anyone who knows how to study advanced higher chemistry or maths (plus mechanics/physics) how do you do it? I was considering making flash cards but I feel like that’s not productive/ I don’t know how to. I went into advanced highers being too optimistic, considering doing engineering if medicine didn’t work out. Well that dream has died. mechanics has humbled me. Honestly, this gives me flashbacks to nat 5 history, I just don’t know what to do and no matter how hard I try, nothing seems to be working!! :/ it’s so demotivating, I’m apprehensive to open my book to revise now because i feel like it’s just a waste of my time at this point.
Hi, I did AH Chemistry and completely understand what you mean. It's truly crazy how much content they expect us to memorise alongside our other subjects and aspects of our lives. I got a D on my first test and managed to get an A in the final exam and what worked for me is just taking it one topic at a time at my own pace. It took me forever to wrap my head around that electromagnetic stuff, but patience is key. It might help to completely take a break for a few days where you can for mental health because this stuff gets intense. Keep going with the notes and past questions, I'm sure you'll get there in the end. It's easy to get overwhelmed, the way to succeed with Advanced Highers is just to take it one step at a time. Your hard work will pay off.
Original post by shiv-04
Hi, I did AH Chemistry and completely understand what you mean. It's truly crazy how much content they expect us to memorise alongside our other subjects and aspects of our lives. I got a D on my first test and managed to get an A in the final exam and what worked for me is just taking it one topic at a time at my own pace. It took me forever to wrap my head around that electromagnetic stuff, but patience is key. It might help to completely take a break for a few days where you can for mental health because this stuff gets intense. Keep going with the notes and past questions, I'm sure you'll get there in the end. It's easy to get overwhelmed, the way to succeed with Advanced Highers is just to take it one step at a time. Your hard work will pay off.

Thank you, this is very encouraging. I will continue studying and hopefully as you said it will get better and pay off in the end 🙏. I’m a slow learner so i tend to rush through the course just to catch up with my classmates which isn’t good cause I don’t end up understanding the course as well as i’d like to so I will take your advice.
Reply 3
Can it be that the AH level is just too high or the subjects are wrong for you? It happens - for example, no way I would succeed in history or modern studies - that is where one has to memorise enormous amounts of stuff. In sciences it is much easier I think - once you got it, the rest can be derived, so to speak. But, unfortunately, I do not have a recipe for how to get that 'click'.
... Maybe you have a talent for something else :smile:

Besides, a lot of people do not do AHs. Yes, it can limit the choice of a career initially but there will be some other ways to get to something you will enjoy.

Were there some Highers you found easier than others?
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Ulf
Can it be that the AH level is just too high or the subjects are wrong for you? It happens - for example, no way I would succeed in history or modern studies - that is where one has to memorise enormous amounts of stuff. In sciences it is much easier I think - once you got it, the rest can be derived, so to speak. But, unfortunately, I do not have a recipe for how to get that 'click'.
... Maybe you have a talent for something else :smile:

Besides, a lot of people do not do AHs. Yes, it can limit the choice of a career initially but there will be some other ways to get to something you will enjoy.

Were there some Highers you found easier than others?

That’s exactly how i felt with nat 5 history, it was just too much but i was really good at physics, chemistry and biology so i took them for highers. I found physics at higher relatively straightforward. I’m struggling with advanced higher physics but not nearly as much as chemistry. I found higher chemistry extremely difficult but it was fine in the end, i mean i got an A somehow. Biology i didn’t like the memorisation aspect of it but I did well in the exam.. biology wasn’t difficult but notoriously boring when revising, didn’t like it as much as nat 5. Maths was difficult for like two months and then after that it was fine (can’t say the same for adv higher maths) English was very difficult, i HATE essay-based subjects. The sad thing is, I want to do medicine and I’m required to take advanced higher subjects, specifically chemistry. There’s no turning back for me since i’ve already sent off my ucas application… i’ve got to deal with them :frown:
Reply 5
Original post by dorkpop2000
That’s exactly how i felt with nat 5 history, it was just too much but i was really good at physics, chemistry and biology so i took them for highers. I found physics at higher relatively straightforward. I’m struggling with advanced higher physics but not nearly as much as chemistry. I found higher chemistry extremely difficult but it was fine in the end, i mean i got an A somehow. Biology i didn’t like the memorisation aspect of it but I did well in the exam.. biology wasn’t difficult but notoriously boring when revising, didn’t like it as much as nat 5. Maths was difficult for like two months and then after that it was fine (can’t say the same for adv higher maths) English was very difficult, i HATE essay-based subjects. The sad thing is, I want to do medicine and I’m required to take advanced higher subjects, specifically chemistry. There’s no turning back for me since i’ve already sent off my ucas application… i’ve got to deal with them :frown:

Well, then persevere and hope that quantity will convert into quality... eventually. You only can do what you can do. Let's hope that the magical 'click' is just around the corner :smile:
hi, just curious but what advanced highers are you doing?
Original post by dorkpop2000

Quick Reply

Latest