The Student Room Group

King's vs Bath?

I'm applying for biomed this year, and want to know how good Bath and King's are in terms of-

a) Student satisfaction
b) Admin and management
c) Teaching
d) Placements and employment

...and I'd really appreciate any info y'all could give.

Thanks! :smile:
Kings has notoriously one of the lowest student satisfaction scores (unless that's changed over the last 5 years) and frequent complaints regarding teaching quality.

Reputation wise they are similarly well regarded domestically, Kings has a much better reputation globally.

I've only ever heard great things regarding quality of course, pastoral support etc at Bath but the issue with Bath is being forced to live in Bath. Dead, boring city.
Original post by DocsAnalyst
Kings has notoriously one of the lowest student satisfaction scores (unless that's changed over the last 5 years) and frequent complaints regarding teaching quality.

Reputation wise they are similarly well regarded domestically, Kings has a much better reputation globally.

I've only ever heard great things regarding quality of course, pastoral support etc at Bath but the issue with Bath is being forced to live in Bath. Dead, boring city.

Thanks for your reply! :smile: King's having low student satisfaction is something I've unfortunately heard a lot about. Just to pick out a few things-

1) 'King's has a much better reputation globally'- does that make it more attractive to employers?

2) 'Similarly well-regarded domestically'- so if I work in the UK, it won't make a difference?

3) '...issue is being forced to live in Bath.'- that's actually one of the main reasons holding me back. It seems very small (not that that's a bad thing! I'm just not overly keen on that).
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by sleep_supremacy
Thanks for your reply! :smile: King's having low student satisfaction is something I've unfortunately heard a lot about. Just to pick out a few things-

1) 'King's has a much better reputation globally'- does that make it more attractive to employers?

2) 'Similarly well-regarded domestically'- so if I work in the UK, it won't make a difference?

3) '...issue is being forced to live in Bath.'- that's actually one of the main reasons holding me back. It seems very small (not that that's a bad thing! I'm just not overly keen on that).

Yes and no, it all depends on what career you're wanting to pursue. Financial services? Kings is a better name and is semi-target for certain companies, similarly you have the London advantage regarding work experience, networking opportunities.

It all depends on what you're interested in and your personality - if you like to go out then expect to have to travel to Bristol whenever you wish to do so.
Original post by DocsAnalyst
Yes and no, it all depends on what career you're wanting to pursue. Financial services? Kings is a better name and is semi-target for certain companies, similarly you have the London advantage regarding work experience, networking opportunities.

It all depends on what you're interested in and your personality - if you like to go out then expect to have to travel to Bristol whenever you wish to do so.

I'm looking to go into biomedical research (not NHS).

'If I'd like to go out'- I'm assuming you mean a night out? Like clubbing or something? I'm not really interested in any of that.
KCL does not have a great record in the way it treats applicants - last year it left thousands (yes, thousands) of applicants with no decision to just fall of the edge as 'rejected by default' in May. And they have poor student satisfaction. All in all, not all its cracked up to be.

Bath have one of the best placement programs in the UK, Its a small campus Uni where you get treated like you matter, and its in a beautiful city with lots to do, and Bristol and London are close enough when you need more excitement.
Original post by McGinger
KCL does not have a great record in the way it treats applicants - last year it left thousands (yes, thousands) of applicants with no decision to just fall of the edge as 'rejected by default' in May. And they have poor student satisfaction. All in all, not all its cracked up to be.

Bath have one of the best placement programs in the UK, Its a small campus Uni where you get treated like you matter, and its in a beautiful city with lots to do, and Bristol and London are close enough when you need more excitement.

Yeah, I've heard quite a bit about how King's isn't exactly great for student service. :/

'A beautiful city with lots to do'- your statement directly contradicts what someone else above you mentioned. Could you elaborate a bit? What all is there to do, and what would you recommend?

Thanks for your reply! :smile:
Yeah, I've heard quite a bit about how King's isn't exactly great for student service. :/

'A beautiful city with lots to do'- your statement directly contradicts what someone else above you mentioned. Could you elaborate a bit? What all is there to do, and what would you recommend?

I'd go with Bath - superb placements and plenty to do. What about Cardiff?
Original post by Muttley79
I'd go with Bath - superb placements and plenty to do. What about Cardiff?

Bath really does have a good rep for placements huh :biggrin:

I haven't personally looked into Cardiff. Would you recommend it? What is it like?

(edited 1 year ago)

'A beautiful city with lots to do'

Several million tourists a year can't be wrong - https://www.visitbritain.com/gb/en/england/south-west/bath - and you could live in this.
https://www.bath.ac.uk/campaigns/living-in-bath-as-a-student/ and https://www.ucas.com/study-in/study-bath

I'll look into the links, thanks! :smile:
Bath really does have a good rep for placements huh :biggrin:

I haven't personally looked into Cardiff. Would you recommend it? What is it like?

My niece went to Cardiff and now is a post-doc medical researcher.
Original post by Muttley79
My niece went to Cardiff and now is a post-doc medical researcher.

That's wonderful! :h:

I'll definitely look into Cardiff then. Since your neice went to Cardiff, you have more first-hand experience than I do. Anything I should check out/know that isn't on the website? :tongue:
That's wonderful! :h:

I'll definitely look into Cardiff then. Since your neice went to Cardiff, you have more first-hand experience than I do. Anything I should check out/know that isn't on the website? :tongue:

The graduation is twice the length of most as it's in both Welsh and English!

She loved her time there.

Quick Reply

Latest