Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    What is a round-about figure for the average starting salary on a graduate program in the financial sector?

ReputationRep:
    I think it's about £23,500. xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohnnySPal)
    London or non-London?

Both.

ReputationRep:
    About £25k in London going down to £20k in the North.

That's for big four btw. It's obviously going to be lot more for investment banks but that's a whole other forum :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kemik)
    About £25k in London going down to £20k in the North.

That's for big four btw. It's obviously going to be lot more for investment banks but that's a whole other forum :p:
    Rarggh..

I was on 24ish before I went to uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lampshade)
    Rarggh..

I was on 24ish before I went to uni.
    It could be up to £28k. I just remember it being about £5k-£7k more than what I'm on :p:

ReputationRep:
    According to one fleetfooted urchin on here, PwC grads start on £35k.

ReputationRep:
    £25k sounds pretty low

ReputationRep:
    LMAO i love how most of TSR think you're going to get 35k a yea at 21-22 years old loooooool

ReputationRep:
    London Big 4 will be around the 30k mark. Slightly less now (maybe 29K), but this will rise for next year's intake and once again for the year after.

ReputationRep:
    By the way is there a pay gap between men and women when it comes to starting salary? Because there is a huge one when it comes to general average salary so the gap has got to start from somewhere.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foxius)
    London Big 4 will be around the 30k mark. Slightly less now (maybe 29K), but this will rise for next year's intake and once again for the year after.
    London Big 4 salaries for most divisions are under 30k.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teriaki)
    By the way is there a pay gap between men and women when it comes to starting salary? Because there is a huge one when it comes to general average salary so the gap has got to start from somewhere.
    For graduate programmes at least, certainly not!

ReputationRep:
    I don't think as much, no. The pay gap is generally justified by the fact that women have an increased risk of taking extended periods of paid absence, generally for maternity leave or to look after sick children. This makes them less 'reliable' workers, and the employer offsets the risk of loss by paying a lower salary.
    However, 21-22 years old woman are generally not perceived as posing such a dependency risk (i.e. having paid leave) as a slightly older woman who is married/in a relationship and is more likely to have children in the near future. Therefore, starting salaries should not be too different between the genders.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anabolicator)
    LMAO i love how most of TSR think you're going to get 35k a yea at 21-22 years old loooooool
    I know, 35k is just too low.

I'll be on 36k in the summer (excluding relocation allowance).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uthinkilltellu)
    I know, 35k is just too low.

I'll be on 36k in the summer (excluding relocation allowance).
    Dammed investment bankers. Get out :p:

ReputationRep:
    there is a big range - basically from 20k audit regional through to 30k corp fin london

ReputationRep:
    By the way, if you're working in corporate finance as opposed to audit in the Big Four, do you still work on some sort of professional qualification?

ReputationRep:
    By the way, if you're working in corporate finance as opposed to audit in the Big Four, do you still work on some sort of professional qualification?
    Erm.. normally still work through the CF qualis I believe.

ReputationRep:
    Depending on the firm, you will either study chartered accountancy (ACA), Corporate Finance Qualification (CFQ) or Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA).

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to finance and bankingGuide to accountancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Quick link:

Unanswered finance and accountancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.