Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    In croatia!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/7730813.stm - well they've banned parties but surely thats what christmas is all about, getting with some loser and getting stupidly drunk!!

ALSO, surely the point of parties is to lift people spirits, and with a dire economy surely thats what people need

ReputationRep:
    You'd be surprised to what extent getting trashed on Christmas Eve is a purely Anglo-Saxon phenomenon.

Also this is the most idiotic policy I have ever heard. How is LIMITING spending supposed to mitigage a recession?

EDIT: Woops, didn't read the bit about "public sector". In that case what's the big deal?

ReputationRep:
    If I've read that right, he's saying that organisations run on public money won't be allowed to give their staff free booze and presents at Christmas, because money is tight and it would be a waste.

I don't see the problem?

ReputationRep:
    I always have amazing Christmases and I don't feel the need to drink a lot of alcohol during that period to enjoy it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phantom Phoenix)
    If I've read that right, he's saying that organisations run on public money won't be allowed to give their staff free booze and presents at Christmas, because money is tight and it would be a waste.

I don't see the problem?
    :ditto: the people who this affects can just organise their own private parties.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, they haven't really "banned parties" - just ruled against using public-sector money to fund them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phantom Phoenix)

I don't see the problem?
    "For that goal we forbid buying of Christmas and New Year's gifts as well as organising of Christmas and New Year's receptions," said Mr Sanader.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anna_spanner89)
    "For that goal we forbid buying of Christmas and New Year's gifts as well as organising of Christmas and New Year's receptions," said Mr Sanader.
    (Original post by BBC)
    State-run firms and organisations have also been told that they won't be allowed to dip into their funds to buy Christmas presents.
    He's not banning giving presents, he's banning using public money on an unnecessary expense. Good for him for making what will no doubt be an unpopular decision, frankly. People can still buy each other presents with their own money/have parties of their own, so who cares?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, with Govt money. People are not banned from spending their own personal earnings on gifts.

ReputationRep:
    its in the public sector so it isnt bad

ReputationRep:
    I thought this thread was going to be a rant at muslims.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KwungSun)
    Also this is the most idiotic policy I have ever heard. How is LIMITING spending supposed to mitigage a recession?
    http://mises.org/story/667

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bagration)
    http://mises.org/story/667
    Maybe I'm missing something important, but I can't say that article has convinced me that consumer spending is not important during a recession. The article argues that consumers do not CAUSE recessions. Whether or not that is true, it can still be the case that consumers can help end or sustain recessions. The author seems to ignore the possibility of a negative feedback loop. Also I think that in a crisis characterised by the "credit crunch" it is unlikely that many people are going to get bank loans for start-ups.

ReputationRep:
    Anna Edwards, you are an idiot.

ReputationRep:
    Anna you really are a spanner!

ReputationRep:
    In croatia!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/7730813.stm - well they've banned parties but surely thats what christmas is all about, getting with some loser and getting stupidly drunk!!

ALSO, surely the point of parties is to lift people spirits, and with a dire economy surely thats what people need
    Surprisingly no. Christmas is about celebrating the birth of Jesus Christ.

ReputationRep:
    :eek:

:mad: how could they do such a thing?!?!?

ReputationRep:
    ive never been drunk at christmas i dont think ive had a christmas where anyones been drunk! i just like being with my family

ReputationRep:
    I love croatia especially their bars.

Under 18's allowed in, allowed to drink etc etc and yet you have non of the trouble that you get over here

ReputationRep:
    well they've banned parties but surely thats what christmas is all about, getting with some loser and getting stupidly drunk!!
    Don't think so! Surely you can do that at anytime of year, doesn't have to be Christmas for that to happen...
    Christmas is about the birth of Jesus, and its the season of giving, and goodwill.

What Croatia has done seems sensible enough to me, I'm sure the staff in the public sector would rather not a Christmas party (they could host their own anyway), then lose their jobs next year because the Government doesn't have enough money to pay them.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.