The Student Room Group

English Lit poetry

Hey,
I currently have mocks coming up and I'm really struggling to compare exposure and bayonet charge.
Does anyone have any comparative points or even a grade 9 essay as that's my target?
Reply 1
Original post by *Incognito*
Hey,
I currently have mocks coming up and I'm really struggling to compare exposure and bayonet charge.
Does anyone have any comparative points or even a grade 9 essay as that's my target?

Hi, I can't honestly find any good comparisons online, but personally I would compare Exposure and Bayonet Charge with how they both compare the reality of war, and yet in different ways: e.g. Owens uses Exposure to show how the true danger of war lies from ones' own thoughts and nature, and criticises those who wish for war. On the other hand, Hughes' Bayonet Charge presents war as full of danger and action, but still criticises the patriotism and indoctrination of soldiers by showing how all are 'dropped like luxuries' when faced with the reality of war.

Grade 9 is really hard to get, but as you probably know to get there you must remember structure and form (both are written in free verse to show the chaos and lack of organisation of war, etc.) along with language. As well as referring to writers purpose, context, and all the other things haha.

When comparing, you might want to remember things like Bayonet Charge focuses on one persons experiences to really emphasize the danger, whereas Owens uses 'we' to show how much war effects people. Bayonet Charge also uses enjambment, caesura, and other techniques to create the feeling of chaos, whereas Owens builds up his stanzas with highly emotive language, before coming to an anti-climax at the end, finally finishing with the famous line 'but nothing happens' (hence creating a cyclical structure.)

So yeah, those are a few points you can use to compare the two, hopefully you can see that they're actually really nice to compare, most of the time haha. Hope that this helped, I know it's quite a loose answer but generally it's nicer to find your own spin on English Lit. questions, good luck with your mocks and GCSEs :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest