Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Hey, im 16 and this has been worrying me for months (my friends dont hear the end of it!)
    So im losing/ have alredy lost a lot of my hair
    im a veggie (but i take iron supplements)
    Im pretty sure its not stress related
    I dont have bald patches but the amount of hairs on my head have like halved
    since last year (crikey!!)
    Theres no volume anymore..
    When i went on holiday last summer for a month, i didnt take my iron at all.
    really regret it now thats when i think it started falling out.

I was wondering, when hair falls out, does it grow back again?
    i know it does when you cut it but how long does it take for it to grow bak from the roots? Years? Months?

Anything that can help it grow?
    When i have less hair it looks much much frizzier...

:o: -im gna end up looking as bald as that in a few years lol (na not really)

ReputationRep:
    Hair goes through cycles of moulting, so I wouldn't worry too much. But it does also affect the state of your health a few months ago. If you went through a period of stress, or if you had a period of very bad nutrition, then this might have had an effect. If you're really worried, you might mention it to your doctor or your hairdresser, but the main thing is to make sure you're getting a healthy diet with sufficient nutrients, and not get too stressed!

ReputationRep:
    maybe check if anyone in your family has a history of alopecia, it can be triggered by a single stressful event i think

ReputationRep:
    My friend has a problem last year with hair loss. She was a veggie and hadn't adequately been coming up to date with iron. She went to the doctor and she had such depleted iron stores (which was causing the iron loss) that taking her normal iron tablets wasn't enough for her body to get up to the iron levels it needed. They prescribed her with another type of iron supplement to bring her iron levels back up to normal, then she could switch back to conventional tablets. Her hair got much thicker again.

Probably best to go to the doctors and they will do some blood tests and perhaps you might have the same problem.

Good luck.

(Original post by lemily)
    My friend has a problem last year with hair loss. She was a veggie and hadn't adequately been coming up to date with iron. She went to the doctor and she had such depleted iron stores (which was causing the iron loss) that taking her normal iron tablets wasn't enough for her body to get up to the iron levels it needed. They prescribed her with another type of iron supplement to bring her iron levels back up to normal, then she could switch back to conventional tablets. Her hair got much thicker again.

Probably best to go to the doctors and they will do some blood tests and perhaps you might have the same problem.

Good luck.
    Thank you for the advice ill try that
    Blood test <shudder>

ReputationRep:
    Well this has sufficiently **** me up, I was thinking I'd lost a bit of hair over the last 18 months (during which period I've radically cut down on red meat, which is everyone's main source of iron is it not?) Had no idea hair-loss was iron-related.

have u changed shampoos recently, if u have that might be the problem. I had hair loss when i was 17 and i hated it cuz half my hair had fallen out. luckily my hair was really thick so i didnt look bald lol...since then i started using baby shampoo and washing my hair with cold water..now my hair has become shiny and thicker than before! if u can, u can try that...but u have 2 remember that changes takes time, i waited a year for my hair to become as thick as it used 2 b...i think we all have these moments so dont worry too much. if u are doubting, seek medical help. hpe it helps

ReputationRep:
    hello, pm me x

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alopecia_areata

I think..this?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 20, 2008
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.