Perfectly safe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by prodriven)
    Perfectly safe.
    Until you need to overtake something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SillyFencer)
    What?! You can't be serious. We broke several national speed limits on our 2 day road-trip to Amsterdam, and 2 day road-trip back in a right hand drive Ford Galaxy - and this involved a lot of overtaking on the left hand side - it's about as dangerous as overtaking on a motorway here...:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    no. it's fine. when we went to france a few weekends ago we had no problem, in fact, it's probably easier than driving over here. there are a few problems, naturally, like overtaking and turning around a blind bend (which you'd encounter over here anyway). but on the whole, you should be fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leilah)
    What?! You can't be serious. We broke several national speed limits on our 2 day road-trip to Amsterdam, and 2 day road-trip back in a right hand drive Ford Galaxy - and this involved a lot of overtaking on the left hand side - it's about as dangerous as overtaking on a motorway here...:rolleyes:
    What? How is it comparable to overtaking on a motorway here?

You are behind something, you need passed. Opposite traffic flow is on the left hand side, you need to pull nearly your whole car into that lane before you can see if anything is coming or not.

Oh yeah, and take your rolling eyes smiley and RAM IT - you stuck up cow.

ReputationRep:

You are behind something, you need passed. Opposite traffic flow is on the left hand side, you need to pull nearly your whole car into that lane before you can see if anything is coming or not.

This.

ReputationRep:

however the scenario discussed was where the RHD vehicle was a ford galaxy

it'zs like driving a lightly loaded LHD military Land rover in the Uk - you can see over the cars so the fact you are sat over to the 'wrong' side doesn't make much difference ...

if they have been driving something lower it might be a problem

ReputationRep:

I partly agree with this. But it's fine as long as you have a passenger you trust sitting next to you, one that can help you out in situations where you don't see enough yourself because you're sitting on the wrong side. The only real difficulty is when you have to overtake an HGV and you've got oncoming traffic.

I also think there might be some confusion here, in some countries on the continent, you hardly have to leave the motorway, so you don't have to deal with oncoming traffic that much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zippyRN)
    however the scenario discussed was where the RHD vehicle was a ford galaxy

it'zs like driving a lightly loaded LHD military Land rover in the Uk - you can see over the cars so the fact you are sat over to the 'wrong' side doesn't make much difference ...

if they have been driving something lower it might be a problem
    Hmmm... There are no lorries there then?

ReputationRep:
    It's safe, except on continent everybody drives like maniacs, it's so bizzarre.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by c2uk)
    I partly agree with this. But it's fine as long as you have a passenger you trust sitting next to you, one that can help you out in situations where you don't see enough yourself because you're sitting on the wrong side. The only real difficulty is when you have to overtake an HGV and you've got oncoming traffic.

I also think there might be some confusion here, in some countries on the continent, you hardly have to leave the motorway, so you don't have to deal with oncoming traffic that much.
    Firstly, you won't always have a passenger, and secondly I don't believe for a second that you hardly have to leave the motorway. As soon as you are nearing your destination you will have to pull off the motorway.

Why can't people here accept that it is a hazard? Car manufacturers can accept that simple fact, so they build right and left hand versions of their cars to correspond to the driving side of the road of their destination market.

ReputationRep:

(Original post by Lampshade)
    This.
    Uh, no, actually, it's not significantly more dangerous driving a RHD than a LHD car on the continent.

I know lots of people who drive LHD cars (everyday cars to quite valuable things) everyday in the UK... and not a single one of them has ever had an accident.

The only difficulty is when driving a LHD panel van in the UK, as they have a huge blind spot.

Sillyfencer, I assume you have a vast experience of driving a RHD on the continent then? :rolleyes:

Other than a few junctions where you have to approach at a funny angle to be able to see round the Roof pillars, there is no difficulty at all.

If you are close enough to the vehicle in front that you cannot see what is coming the other way then you are clearly too close.

And no need for your 'attitude' either, it makes you look like an idiot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tofufi)
    Uh, no, actually, it's not significantly more dangerous driving a RHD than a LHD car on the continent.

I know lots of people who drive LHD cars (everyday cars to quite valuable things) everyday in the UK... and not a single one of them has ever had an accident.

The only difficulty is when driving a LHD panel van in the UK, as they have a huge blind spot.

Sillyfencer, I assume you have a vast experience of driving a RHD on the continent then? :rolleyes:

Other than a few junctions where you have to approach at a funny angle to be able to see round the Roof pillars, there is no difficulty at all.

If you are close enough to the vehicle in front that you cannot see what is coming the other way then you are clearly too close.

And no need for your 'attitude' either, it makes you look like an idiot.
    As your first line is flawed, I will take your whole post as flawed. Unless you can find a quote where I said "it's significantly more dangerous" (except just there :p:)?

ReputationRep:
    Oh since this is basically the same question, what about a LHD car in the UK? Apart from obvious problems when getting a ticket on entering a multistorey, is it a big issue while driving? I've always wanted an American muscle car, but this puts me off.

ReputationRep:
    Same rules apply there as here in that case. Only overtake if you can safely see a gap in traffic on the opposite carriageway. If in doubt, then don't overtake.

It really isn't anymore dangerous as long as you don't take bigger risks.

ReputationRep:
    Same rules apply there as here in that case. Only overtake if you can safely see a gap in traffic on the opposite carriageway. If in doubt, then don't overtake.

It really isn't anymore dangerous as long as you don't take bigger risks.
    OK, fair point. But unfortunately, the majority of drivers when in a situation where they are stuck doing 20mph less than they would like get frustrated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nu Ordah!!!!!!!!!!!!)
    Or better just to hire a local one?
    You can't see oncoming cars to overtake I think I remember, so if you are alone hire one. If you're not alone it's fine cos the passender can see for you.

ReputationRep:
    As your first line is flawed, I will take your whole post as flawed. Unless you can find a quote where I said "it's significantly more dangerous" (except just there :p:)?
    Well, you saying

Perfectly safe.
    Is pretty much implying that it is more dangerous to overtake things when you are on the 'wrong' side of the car. Or do you consider all forms of overtaking to be dangerous?

Much continental overtaking is likely to be on motorways anyway.

How about the rest of the lines in my post, how flawed are they?

(Original post by Elementric)
    Oh since this is basically the same question, what about a LHD car in the UK? Apart from obvious problems when getting a ticket on entering a multistorey, is it a big issue while driving? I've always wanted an American muscle car, but this puts me off.
    Shouldn't be too much hassle
    As above, I know loads of people who drive LHD cars everyday. Just have to get used to the view at a few junctions etc.

When you first start driving a (manual) LHD car you will end up hitting the door when trying to change gear...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tofufi)
    Well, you saying

Is pretty much implying that it is more dangerous to overtake things when you are on the 'wrong' side of the car. Or do you consider all forms of overtaking to be dangerous?

Much continental overtaking is likely to be on motorways anyway.

How about the rest of the lines in my post, how flawed are they?

Shouldn't be too much hassle
    As above, I know loads of people who drive LHD cars everyday. Just have to get used to the view at a few junctions etc.

When you first start driving a (manual) LHD car you will end up hitting the door when trying to change gear...
    No... that was me saying "there exists a hazard." And yes, of course the rest of your lines are flawed - they were based on me having said something that you completely made up.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 16, 2008
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.