Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is it really safe to drive a right drive car on the continent? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SillyFencer)
    OK, fair point. But unfortunately, the majority of drivers when in a situation where they are stuck doing 20mph less than they would like get frustrated.
    I'm sure they do (as would I). But any collision would be as a result of their impatience, not which side of the car their sitting on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by prodriven)
    I'm sure they do (as would I). But any collision would be as a result of their impatience, not which side of the car their sitting on.
    Yes... but the impatience was the result of the side of the car they were sitting on.

ReputationRep:
    I drive to Kent (from Brighton) every now and then and coming back (past Dover) there are hundred of French/German/Italian cars and they do just fine on our roads, so why should we be any different?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tofufi)
    When you first start driving a (manual) LHD car you will end up hitting the door when trying to change gear...
    lol, I hadn't thought of that :o:

ReputationRep:
    No... that was me saying "there exists a hazard." And yes, of course the rest of your lines are flawed - they were based on me having said something that you completely made up.
    No, you said it was not perfectly safe to overtake.

That is different to saying 'there is a hazard to look out for'. Overtaking done correctly is no less safe whichever side of the car you are sat in.

ReputationRep:
    No, you said it was not perfectly safe to overtake.

That is different to saying 'there is a hazard to look out for'. Overtaking done correctly is no less safe whichever side of the car you are sat in.
    lol... that reads "overtaking is no less safe when you have less of a view of the road ahead." Wise up.

Ah well, at least I am getting a decent debate on this from prodriven. Just a shame I've to battle through the fools to get it.

ReputationRep:
    Yes... but the impatience was the result of the side of the car they were sitting on.
    Why would sitting on one side of a car make someone more impatient?

As I said in my first post which you dismissed, you shouldn't be that close to something that you cannot see anything coming the other direction.

(Original post by Elementric)
    lol, I hadn't thought of that :o:
    It's not really something to worry about

Takes about 2 minutes to get used to, and after a while it becomes second nature. If you drive LHD cars a lot, it feels very strange going back to a RHD

ReputationRep:
    lol... that reads "overtaking is no less safe when you have less of a view of the road ahead." Wise up.
    So when was the last time you drove a LHD car in the UK, or a RHD car on the continent?

Your view(from the 'wrong' side) is not significantly worse, especially with the correct gap between cars that you should have at roads where there might be a 10-20mph speed difference in vehicles travelling in one direction.

Most drivers don't leave a large enough gap to the vehicle in front, however

ReputationRep:
    OP, it'll be perfectly fine.

ReputationRep:
    pffft having driven a rhd in paris i will tell you its hard as nails however on a motorway all you need do is hang back, plan ahead and its not so hard to overtake or anything. in france anyway you have to be semi aggresive otherwise you get nowhere mind. you got to get the balance right. would never try italy in a rhd though. good lord they are insane

ReputationRep:
    I never knew you could do that. :eek:

ReputationRep:
    So when was the last time you drove a LHD car in the UK, or a RHD car on the continent?

Your view(from the 'wrong' side) is not significantly worse, especially with the correct gap between cars that you should have at roads where there might be a 10-20mph speed difference in vehicles travelling in one direction.

That's completely wrong. With a 2 second gap between you and a 40mph lorry, there's no way you would have a clear view of the road ahead.

ReputationRep:
    Firstly, you won't always have a passenger, and secondly I don't believe for a second that you hardly have to leave the motorway. As soon as you are nearing your destination you will have to pull off the motorway.

Why can't people here accept that it is a hazard? Car manufacturers can accept that simple fact, so they build right and left hand versions of their cars to correspond to the driving side of the road of their destination market.
    1st, obviously you won't always have a passenger sitting next to you. But if you have, then not a big problem as I said. If not, just don't overtake when you don't see enough of the road, what's the problem?

Doesn't sound like you ever drove a car in continental Europe.

Me on the other hand, I've been driving a continental car in the UK for over five years now, and I disagree in the fact that it is a hazard. You have to be more careful, but it's not that more difficult.

And actually, in some smaller countries like the Netherlands, you've got more motorway coverage than in the UK. Unless of course you want to visit a small town somewhere in the middle of nowhere.

To sum it up, just be more careful when driving and you should be fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by c2uk)
    1st, obviously you won't always have a passenger sitting next to you. But if you have, then not a big problem as I said. If not, just don't overtake when you don't see enough of the road, what's the problem?

Doesn't sound like you ever drove a car in continental Europe.

Me on the other hand, I've been driving a continental car in the UK for over five years now, and I disagree in the fact that it is a hazard. You have to be more careful, but it's not that more difficult.

And actually, in some smaller countries like the Netherlands, you've got more motorway coverage than in the UK. Unless of course you want to visit a small town somewhere in the middle of nowhere.

To sum it up, just be more careful when driving and you should be fine.
    If you have to be more careful, then it's a hazard. Unless your definition of hazard differs from other people?

ReputationRep:

Actually it is, even with a larger gap than necessary. But you don't have to go all the way on the other side of the road to get a better view.

ReputationRep:
    So, conclusion. If you go abroad driving your rhd car and don't drive with any extra car/caution then it can potentially be more dangerous. However, if you exercise a bit of caution and understand your vision will be limited on single carriageway overtakes then you should be fine.

Or, if you driver like a tosser you'll probably crash, if you don't, you'll be fine.

ReputationRep:
    Well, being as my car (although I usually use another for m'ways/dual carriageways) is old and vibrates too much for a wing and rear view mirror to really be effective, and thus any overtaking/lane changing involves actually looking behind by physically turning, I doubt it'd be any more dangerous driving it on a French m'way/dual carriageway than it is to drive it on a British one. ie it's bloody dangerous on big roads no matter what country you're in.

However in a normal car, I think you ARE at a disadvantage in a RHD on the continent, and should thus excercise more caution .

ReputationRep:
    I drove my, RHD, car for 5 months last year when i was at home in Denmark and it was pretty much exactly the same as driving in the UK. Obviously there is a slight disadvantage when overtaking on a single lane but not one that was dangerous as long as you keep an adequate distance. Plus parking was easier in the city.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 16, 2008
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.