The Student Room Group

Best University for Geography

Which would be the best UK universities to apply to study geography with predicted grades A* (Geography), A* (Spanish) and B (Maths)?
Reply 1
Original post by BearPear123
Which would be the best UK universities to apply to study geography with predicted grades A* (Geography), A* (Spanish) and B (Maths)?

Depends on whether you want to do Physical (usually BSc/MSc) or Human (BA/MA) or even a more specific geography degree like Climate Sciences, typically I would say Loughborough, Cambridge, Cardiff, and St Andrews (Prince William himself did achieve a BA Hons Geography in St Andrews)
(Original post by Zantu)Depends on whether you want to do Physical (usually BSc/MSc) or Human (BA/MA) or even a more specific geography degree like Climate Sciences, typically I would say Loughborough, Cambridge, Cardiff, and St Andrews (Prince William himself did achieve a BA Hons Geography in St Andrews)

Thank you very much! Human geography is what interests me most. At some point I may want to combine it with a minor, such as social research, economics etc. OR a modern European language, but human geography is the primary focus. Yes, I've read and heard a lot about St Andrews, sounds amazing, but their typical offer is AAA, so not sure if my A*A*B would get me in. You list Loughborough first - any particular reason? And would you also recommend King's College and Edinburgh? Many thanks!
Reply 3
Thank you very much! Human geography is what interests me most. At some point I may want to combine it with a minor, such as social research, economics etc. OR a modern European language, but human geography is the primary focus. Yes, I've read and heard a lot about St Andrews, sounds amazing, but their typical offer is AAA, so not sure if my A*A*B would get me in. You list Loughborough first - any particular reason? And would you also recommend King's College and Edinburgh? Many thanks!

There were not any particular reason for me listing Loughborough first, just that when I looked at geography degrees, it is always on the first few results that come up on Unifrog, UCAS, and Google, supposed it might just be due to sponsorship or something. I heard about Edinburgh's geography degrees, seems quite good. Haven't heard much from King's College geography degree but they are also a good uni in general so don't think it will be too bad. I think a lot of unis offer geography with a minor as geography cross over a lot with other subjects as well. With your grades, you might want to ask the uni, I am not too sure on that. Or you can convert it into UCAS points to check whether A*A*B would be greater than AAA
Thank you, that's very helpful! Well, A* A* B does give you more UCAS points than AAA, but it isn't clear that universities listing AAA as their standard offer see it that way. Does anyone here have any insights into this? (The question is potentially important for me because, if universities such as St Andrews or UCL won't consider A* A* B, it would be a waste to put any of them among the five choices.) BTW, UCL is also good for human geography, right?
Original post by Zantu
There were not any particular reason for me listing Loughborough first, just that when I looked at geography degrees, it is always on the first few results that come up on Unifrog, UCAS, and Google, supposed it might just be due to sponsorship or something. I heard about Edinburgh's geography degrees, seems quite good. Haven't heard much from King's College geography degree but they are also a good uni in general so don't think it will be too bad. I think a lot of unis offer geography with a minor as geography cross over a lot with other subjects as well. With your grades, you might want to ask the uni, I am not too sure on that. Or you can convert it into UCAS points to check whether A*A*B would be greater than AAA
Reply 5
Thank you, that's very helpful! Well, A* A* B does give you more UCAS points than AAA, but it isn't clear that universities listing AAA as their standard offer see it that way. Does anyone here have any insights into this? (The question is potentially important for me because, if universities such as St Andrews or UCL won't consider A* A* B, it would be a waste to put any of them among the five choices.) BTW, UCL is also good for human geography, right?

Best bet is to contact the university itself, and ask if do will accept A*A*B instead of AAA, it will definitely be a waste if you applied to St Andrews and not be able to get at least AAA or A*A*A in your case. UCL is also quite good for geography, was looking at them last night. www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings/geography-and-environmental-science

I just wanted to jump in as I saw that others had mentioned Loughborough in their responses. I'm currently studying my MSc in the geography department of Loughborough - it's physical rather than human but if you have any questions about studying here I may be able to help. I know here at Lboro there are optional language modules which might be of interest to you since you mentioned languages in your earlier comment - I think these are listed in the modules on the course page if you want to find out more. If you want more than just the one module, you could also consider something like a Geography with Economics degree for more variety in your course.

Outside of subject specific questions, I think it's worth noting that the universities that have been discussed so far are all quite different places to live. When you'll be spending three years somewhere, it's good to know if the uni itself will be a good fit :smile: For example, would you prefer a campus or city uni? Loughborough is a campus, whereas King's College is in a city and the two options tend to suit different people. I'd recommend visiting some places if you haven't already to get a feel for what suits you! They're also quite geographically spaced out, so depending on where you're from you might want somewhere closer or further from home.

Quick Reply