The Student Room Group

how good is this paragraph out of 10?

Q) explore how far Shakespeare presents Macbeth as a violent character?

Shakespeare presents Macbeth as a brutal gruesome character. This is shown using graphic detail, in the quote 'unseamed him from the nave to the chaps'. The verb 'unseamed' connotes the imagery of ripping open something, in this case the enemies, during the battle that was led by Banquo and Macbeth against the Norwegians. The quote from Act 1 , Scene 2 emphasises the ripping open from the stomach to the jaw. This is an example of clothing imagery, as he is ripping it open. Shakespeare wants to introduce Macbeth to the audience as a violent, ambitious and brave soldier at the start of the play and show this is his hamartia. The Jacobean audience would be astonished and shocked at the brutal behaviour of Macbeth at the start of the play. It could foreshadow his brutality that he will display towards others. Therefore this shows how Shakespeare presents Macbeth as a violent character using graphic detail and clothing imagery.
Thanks out of 10 pls - btw I'm in y10
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by jjerry22
Q) explore how far Shakespeare presents Macbeth as a violent character?Shakespeare presents Macbeth as a brutal gruesome character. This is shown using graphic detail, in the quote 'unseated him from the nave to the chaps'. The unseated connotes the imagery of ripping open something, in this case the enemies, during the battle that was led by Banquo and Macbeth against the Norwegians. The quote from Act 1 , Scene 2 emphasises the ripping open from the stomach to the jaw. This is an example of clothing imagery, as he is ripping it open. This emphasises Macbeths power, and what he can do. It also shows us how he has become powerful to be able to do this. In addition, we can see that this is being said by the captain, who at this moment in the play is bleeding, therefore this shows us how much respect they have for Macbeth asnd how even in rough times they will support him. Therefore, Shakespeare uses graphic imagery and clothing imagery to present Macbeth as violent and gruesome.

Thanks out of 10 pls - btw I'm in y10

Maybe a 2–3? Some QoL issues (missing apostrophes, missing words, wrong pronouns (eg. In addition, we can see that this is being said by the captain, who at this moment in the play is bleeding, therefore this shows us how much respect they have for Macbeth).

Unjustified conclusions drawn, eg:

his emphasises Macbeths power, and what he can do. It also shows us how he has become powerful to be able to do this

How does the single quote you've used 'also show how he has become powerful to be able to do this'?

Too many examples of 'this' used without a clear antecedent - i.e. it's not clear what 'this' refers to.
Honestly? I would say a 2. The flow is off. Analysis is very weak. For Year 10, however, you can drastically improve.
Reply 3
Original post by gtty123
Honestly? I would say a 2. The flow is off. Analysis is very weak. For Year 10, however, you can drastically improve.

how can i improve

what year are u in
I thought this was actually pretty good. To improve though you can think about if Macbeth is only violent in battle, or if he acts violently unnecessarily outside of the military too and I think that would be enough for the top grades tbh. I think Mr Salle’s (a very good YouTube channel who has loads of videos in Macbeth) says that in this scene Macbeth also shakes hands with the guy whose head he slices off which shows that Macbeth is quite sadistic and enjoys violence, which foreshadows him plotting with lady Macbeth to kill Duncan for power
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 5
Original post by sciencegcsesss
I thought this was actually pretty good. To improve though you can think about if Macbeth is only violent in battle, or if he acts violently unnecessarily outside of the military too. I think Mr Salle’s (a very good YouTube channel who has loads of videos in Macbeth) says that in this scene Macbeth also shakes hands with the guy whose head he slices off which shows that Macbeth is quite sadistic and enjoys violence, which foreshadows him plotting with lady Macbeth to kill Duncan for power

thanks for the feedback what year are u in? just so i can compare.
thanks for the feedback what year are u in? just so i can compare.

Np. I’m actually in year 13 lol. I take a level English Literature (predicted an A*) and I got grade 9 in GCSE Literature.
Reply 7
Np. I’m actually in year 13 lol. I take a level English Literature (predicted an A*) and I got grade 9 in GCSE Literature.

wow thats so gud
wow thats so gud

Lol thank you
Reply 9
I thought this was actually pretty good. To improve though you can think about if Macbeth is only violent in battle, or if he acts violently unnecessarily outside of the military too and I think that would be enough for the top grades tbh. I think Mr Salle’s (a very good YouTube channel who has loads of videos in Macbeth) says that in this scene Macbeth also shakes hands with the guy whose head he slices off which shows that Macbeth is quite sadistic and enjoys violence, which foreshadows him plotting with lady Macbeth to kill Duncan for power

hey do u know which video it was?:smile:
hey do u know which video it was?:smile:

I think you just type the scene the ‘unseamed’ quote is from then ‘Macbeth Mr Salles’ and it’ll be that
how can i improve

what year are u in

You need depth in the analysis. Try to read a grade 8/9 answer provided by the teacher and you will see what I mean.

I'm at university lol. And I got a 9 at GCSE - so I'm quite good at this stuff lol.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending