The Student Room Group

I dont understand the answer to this acid and base question a level chem

Why couldn't it be A, I thought buffers could be alkali as wellScreenshot 2022-10-28 10.58.47 AM.pngScreenshot 2022-10-28 10.58.55 AM.png
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by leoishush
Why couldn't it be A, I thought buffers could be alkali as wellScreenshot 2022-10-28 10.58.47 AM.pngScreenshot 2022-10-28 10.58.55 AM.png

The idea of a buffer is that it contains a high concentration of a weak acid and it's salt- so HA and A-. For a basic buffer requirement is for weak base and its salt - so NH3 and NH4+. In the case you suggest the solution would not consist of either of these as the hydroxide would lower the concentration of the acid.
Reply 2
ohhhhh its because sodium hydroxide is a strong base

Original post by Mole man
The idea of a buffer is that it contains a high concentration of a weak acid and it's salt- so HA and A-. For a basic buffer requirement is for weak base and its salt - so NH3 and NH4+. In the case you suggest the solution would not consist of either of these as the hydroxide would lower the concentration of the acid.
ohhhhh its because sodium hydroxide is a strong base

No. It is because only in Z is the acid in excess (and some of the salt ion).

The other two mixtures either contain no acid, some salt and an excess of base OR a perfectly neutralised mixture containing salt only.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Pigster
No. It is because only in Z is the acid in excess (and some of the salt ion).

The other two mixtures either contain no acid, some salt and an excess of base OR a perfectly neutralised mixture containing salt only.

but excess base could form alkali buffer?
but excess base could form alkali buffer?

True, but alkaline buffers involve a weak base and its conjugate acid ion. NaOH is a strong base and hence can't form an alkaline buffer.

Quick Reply

Latest