Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I want to start making my own clothes (t-shirts, dresses etc) but i dont know where to start, im gonna ask for a sewing machine for christmas but does anyone have any tips on how to go about making my own clothes or how to just get started?
    any help is much appreciated

ReputationRep:
    inspiration & help galore

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kateasaurus)
    I want to start making my own clothes (t-shirts, dresses etc) but i dont know where to start, im gonna ask for a sewing machine for christmas but does anyone have any tips on how to go about making my own clothes or how to just get started?
    any help is much appreciated
    You will find that sewing patterns are quite important at first (usually, I don't know your exact level) and also starting with fabrics that are a little easier to sew. For example the first item I made was a silk and chiffon dress which was trickier than sewing cotton as it moves while sewing. Also some fabrics are stretchy which can be harfer to sew at first. I realise that I've assumed you're a beginner but you said you didn't know where to start so I assumed.

ReputationRep:
    I'd start with something simpler like customising clothes. But if you want to start making clothes then you can either take apart old clothes (like t-shirts) to get the pattern needed or you can buy patterns. Craft shops as well as charity shops will have patterns for stuff. Then you just need materials to do it. And a lot of patience.

ReputationRep:
    First successful thing I ever made was a tutu, I used a tutorial off youtube

Oh and :love: Crafster!

ReputationRep:
    It may be a good start to try customising something first. I brought a flowery dress in a vintage shop for £8 and turned it in to a top, which is really simple to do as a first project. There are tonnes of tutorials and help online though.

ReputationRep:
    ohhh im getting a sewing machine for xmas tooooo! and want to start making my own clothes and cushions and things

ReputationRep:
    there is www.craftster.org which is a forum where people post there clothes that they have made with a few tutorials and good inspiring ideas, and www.whatthecraft.com has tutorials which allow you to make your own patterns/make things to fit you. And then there is also www.burdastyle.com that has free patterns available to download and print (although printing may be a problem, as sheets are A4 you have to stick them together again with sellotape afterwoulds) try starting with a fabric that doesnt stretch, it can take a while to get used to adjusting the tension on your machine, so that the stitches do not fall apart on the garment, and this gets trickier when the fabric is stretchy because it tends to change shape and go sort of wrinkly. it will probebly also take ages on your first couple of projects but things get a lot easier as time goes by. remember to add seam allowances to everything you sew up, because if its too small your buggered, but if its too big its a lot easier to take it in a little bit.

ReputationRep:
    wow i thought makin clothes would be a piece of cake but i dont understand a word most of you are saying i think its going be harder than i thought lol

ReputationRep:
    Make clothes for dolls or something to get used to the shapes you need to make, and then once you've got used to that move onto for you. This will also waste less fabric as you're learning.

ReputationRep:
    Can you work a sewing machine?

ReputationRep:
    My mum made a hell of a lot of my clothes when i was little, i used to make dolls clothes out of the left over material. I have customised a denim skirt made a wrap around skirt in sewing lessons at school and am half way through making a skirt from scratch. Making clothes can either be harder than you think or easier than you think. Patterns (actually i tell a lie for my skirt i drew around one of my mums skirts) and a decent sewing machine are pretty much essential. Don't expect your first try to be perfect.

ReputationRep:
    i LOVE making my own clothes and jewellery!

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.