The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Does LSE consider Mathematics and Further Mathematics to be one A-Level?

Hi I’m in year 12 and I’m currently taking Mathematics, Further Mathematics and Economics. I plan on applying for straight economics next year but I’ve heard that supposedly LSE considers Further Mathematics and Mathematics to not be distinct and that I would need to take a 4th A-Level. Is this true?
No it’s not true.
https://www.lse.ac.uk/study-at-lse/Undergraduate/degree-programmes-2023/BSc-Economics
Though the vast majority of successful applicants have 4 A levels.
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
No where considers them to be the same apart from maybe one or two medicine courses. Get off TSR maybe and stop listening to all the TSRerrorists who give crap advice on things they know nothing about
Original post by fooshfee779
No where considers them to be the same apart from maybe one or two medicine courses. Get off TSR maybe and stop listening to all the TSRerrorists who give crap advice on things they know nothing about

Chill gee
OP that's not the case, but if you're applying to LSE for economics, it's probably the case that most competitive applicants do maths and further maths so in that sense it's not going to make you "distinct".
There hearsay and their fact...

I in favour of fact instead speculation. So I would personally check the prospectus or subject information on the website and then if I did not gain clarity from this. I'd then e-mail admission and get it from the horses mouth.

Anyway someone has done for us...in an earlier post
"GCSEs
A strong set of GCSE grades including the majority at A (or 7) and A* (or 8-9)
Your GCSE (or equivalent) English Language and Mathematics grades should be no lower than B (or 6).
We also consider your overall GCSE subject profile

A-levels*

A*AA with an A* in Mathematics
Please also see subject combinations regarding Further Mathematics requirements.
We also consider your AS grades, if available.

Contextual admissions A-level grades**
A*AB with an A* in Mathematics "
Economics Degree
Original post by Ambergris
There hearsay and their fact...

I in favour of fact instead speculation. So I would personally check the prospectus or subject information on the website and then if I did not gain clarity from this. I'd then e-mail admission and get it from the horses mouth.

Anyway someone has done for us...in an earlier post
"GCSEs
A strong set of GCSE grades including the majority at A (or 7) and A* (or 8-9)
Your GCSE (or equivalent) English Language and Mathematics grades should be no lower than B (or 6).
We also consider your overall GCSE subject profile

A-levels*

A*AA with an A* in Mathematics
Please also see subject combinations regarding Further Mathematics requirements.
We also consider your AS grades, if available.

Contextual admissions A-level grades**
A*AB with an A* in Mathematics "
Economics Degree

As much as I agree with your aneurysm-inducing post, I'd like to point out that universities only post the entry requirements (i.e. a lot of competitive applicants will surpass this entry requirement). For example, if Oxford says it's A*AA for a degree like law, it's very likely that most competitive applicants in fact have A*A*A* predicted. The same goes for LSE and maths/further maths at A-level. A degree of speculation can save you a lot of hassle, so your philosophy isn't foolproof.
Aneurysm-inducing I am grateful toxicgamage56 that you survive it. I am not a trader so don't engage in metaphorically speculating of the markets still honing my intuition and need to go direct to source. I am here supporting someone else's comment and efforts and felt a cut and paste would be of assistance for it get tedious checking links when written is helpful and you can always check the link for evidence .

Point taken, now time for my constructive criticism of you...

But think we both have missed something here that is our focus is just on A level. Whereas predicted grades are crucial to entry. There are other just as important things such as being an interesting person, being someone who will contribute to University life. Being someone who has not just read around the subject, but someone who has physically shown this through their activities and is not just applying because they can achieve the grades and for the kudos but has a goal beyond this, and a real academic interest in the subject showing creative flare and potential.

I am sure you will concur with me that every University looks for candidates who can think out of the box. Thank you for your assistance please kindly suggest something that would in your opinion make this candidate standout above all those A*. Outside of predicted grades.

I like fail safe and suggest if the converted place is not achieved. There are other such as elect to attend their second choice and applying for a masters or PhD. But they may still go to the ball. Because at LSE offers online degrees should this appeal and they do well enough perhaps they can have the university experience in the Masters or PhD.
Explore all Online Taught Programmes from the University of London. Academic direction from LSE
Original post by Anonymous
Hi I’m in year 12 and I’m currently taking Mathematics, Further Mathematics and Economics. I plan on applying for straight economics next year but I’ve heard that supposedly LSE considers Further Mathematics and Mathematics to not be distinct and that I would need to take a 4th A-Level. Is this true?

Look at the Maths/Further Maths section of this link: https://www.lse.ac.uk/study-at-lse/Undergraduate/Prospective-Students/How-to-Apply/Admissions-Information. The answer is no, your current 3 A-levels are perfectly fine :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending