Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Just how important is the University's reputation to you? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Just curious

Would the reputation/prestige of a certain University appeal to you more than anything else?

Or is it just that these places have everything you want anyway?

ReputationRep:
    I feel that it is a factor, as i dont want to go to a polytech but it is not the only factor

ReputationRep:
    It's not very important tbh. A degree is a degree. It's the amount of effort that you put in at the end of the day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vidachick)
    It's not very important tbh. A degree is a degree. It's the amount of effort that you put in at the end of the day.
    Yep. The only problem is that you don't get a job as easily when you come from a university which has a bad reputation. But in the end I think it's your grades that count.

ReputationRep:
    I suppose it's that whole show-off factor isn't it?
    like "I go to oxford" "WOW!" rather than, "I went to Sheffield Hallam" "you mean sheffield?" "no, sheffield hallam" ".. oh, never heard of it."

it's not that i don't like sheffield hallam, btw, it's just an example.

Personally, it doesn't matter that much.
    Most of my uni choices next year are based on appearence. ahahahahah

ReputationRep:
    It's not very important tbh. A degree is a degree.
    LOL

ReputationRep:
    I didn't even look tbh, possibly because only two uni's do my degree, but I'm presuming there's such a lack of orthoptists, then the degree is valuable wherever it's from. When I was looking at studying Optometry, or Biomedical Sciences, the only things I looked at, where how close they where to me. But I think if I was studying something like, english or maths, I'd look at tables more I think, seeing as everywhere does them.
    EDIT: Reading other posts, I think whether people should/want to care about where they get their degree is entirely dependant on the degree they intend to study. Take law students for example, it's very competitive, and to get a job at the end of it may be difficult, so getting their degree from a uni that does have a good reputation is important.With other subjects that are done at a lot of universities I think that because there are such a wide range of universities to choose from, you're going to choose the one with the best reputation you can get into, just to help you decide between them. Take my university choices for example, orthoptics, studied at two unis, I don't really care which one I go to, as long as I get onto the course, so I've decided I would rather go Liverpool, so I can live at home.
    So, I think it depends on what sort of person you are, job prospects of the degree you intend to study, how many unis teach it, that sort of thing. But obviously I have no experience of law so I'm only guessing here...
    Sorry for the rant :p:

ReputationRep:
    Where does an open university degree come in all of this?

ReputationRep:
    It's not at all important to me.

ReputationRep:
    its quite important to me really!

ReputationRep:
    Clearly not as important as I thought. Because I'm dying to go to Plymouth, having loved the university on the open day. It's hardly a well-known uni, I have no idea where it is on the league tables, possibly top 50 'only'. It's an AWESOME interesting strange little city

ReputationRep:
    it was pretty much the deciding factor for me in choosing a uni. they have prestige for a reason.

ReputationRep:
    Reputation of the department, yes.

Reputation of the Uni, no.

ReputationRep:
    no, it's really not. some are more valuable than others.

ReputationRep:
    It should be a big factor to anybody choosing a uni. having a mickey mouse degree from an ex-poly aint gonna get you a job.

ReputationRep:
    Its the purpose of my life, and its worth dying for:yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vapid slut magician)
    no, it's really not. some are more valuable than others.
    I beg to differ tbh. You don't really go to Oxford anyway.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by vapid slut magician)
    it was pretty much the deciding factor for me in choosing a uni. they have prestige for a reason.
    :ditto:

ReputationRep:
    Well it's not that important, but I'd love to come home at christmas wearing Edinburgh / Durham / Leeds stash!

ReputationRep:
    It was really important to me, because finding a job in law is so competitive I needed to have a degree for a good university, so if I hadn't got into like..a top 25 university, I wouldn't have done law, I would studied economics or something.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.