Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Just how important is the University's reputation to you? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vapid slut magician)
    it was pretty much the deciding factor for me in choosing a uni. they have prestige for a reason.
    :yep: ditto

ReputationRep:
    Well I'd say the reputation came in a little, but I mean a little.

It came in by a larger factor indirectly. As in, I looked at the quality of the research, the teaching, the course content, because they all matter to me. With good research, teaching and course content, comes good reputation.

From the later-in-life point of view, I didn't really look at employability. I was more bothered about the research still lol

ReputationRep:
    It's not a factor for me at all.

ReputationRep:
    It's not a huge thing for me; I REALLY want to go to Portsmouth, because I'll still get my LLB and I get to do the modules I want, but also because of it's location, student satisfaction, cost of living, the fact that I can study languages alongside my degree for free, I can become a peer mentor, I can do a sandwich year...
    I know it's an ex poly, but I'm happy with it!

ReputationRep:
    It's very important hence why I went from an ex-poly to a more prestigious university because at the end of the day employers tend to be influenced by where you got your degree from..

Whilst choosing between Aston Uni and Nottingham Uni I decided to go with Nottingham purely because of it's reputation.. no offence to Aston which performs much better than Nottingham in Business however reputation and prestige proved to be the ultimate factor.

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone justify what they're saying about employers and higher ranked universities? Outside of investment banking and the bar, which are basically old-boys networks. Proof of this would be nice.

Personally, perceived reputation doesn't count for much with me, if at all.

ReputationRep:
    Very. I'm gunna work hard and do well. I want that to be recognized.

Also, for my planned profession it's incredibly important to have a prestigious degree, as unfair and crude a selection system as that would be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by psychocustard)
    the fact that I can study languages alongside my degree for free, I can become a peer mentor,
    you can do those things pretty much anywhere

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vapid slut magician)
    you can do those things pretty much anywhere
    I can't do languages all through my course, which aren't part of my degree for free in a lot of places. I don't want to take them as part of the degree course, I want to do it on the side. Lots of places DON'T offer that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by psychocustard)
    I can't do languages all through my course, which aren't part of my degree for free in a lot of places. I don't want to take them as part of the degree course, I want to do it on the side. Lots of places DON'T offer that.
    really? everywhere ive ever been has let you do all kinds of languages for free.

ReputationRep:
    yes very important t ogo to a prestigious uni
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by SiaSiaSia)
    I suppose it's that whole show-off factor isn't it?
    like "I go to oxford" "WOW!" rather than, "I went to Sheffield Hallam" "you mean sheffield?" "no, sheffield hallam" ".. oh, never heard of it."

it's not that i don't like sheffield hallam, btw, it's just an example.

Personally, it doesn't matter that much.
    Most of my uni choices next year are based on appearence. ahahahahah
    Well, to be honest, the novelty of the "show-off factor" wears off very quickly...

As for the original question, I'd mainly want to go to the university whose course I thought would suit me best. Beyond that, I don't think general "reputation" would be something I'd base my decision on, although I suppose I would get bit annoyed in the long run if I felt I was constantly being berated for my choice of university for no other reason than that people who've never even been there think it's "bad".:dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hobnob)
    Well, to be honest, the novelty of the "show-off factor" wears off very quickly...
    not for me!
    every morning i'd wake up and be like "it's SO pretty"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nicangeli)
    Reputation of the department, yes.

Reputation of the Uni, no.
    This.

I'm serious about going into the field which I'm studying and have no intention of working somewhere which would judge me on the reputation of the university as a whole. The quality of the Law Department and the Medical School means absolutely nothing when evaluating the quality of a Computer Scientist.

Plus, no-one selecting for PhDs or RA jobs is going to be swayed by your degree from a "Top 10" university if it isn't coming from a "Top 10" department too (though one would hope that it was the applicant being judged, not their alma mater).
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by SiaSiaSia)
    not for me!
    every morning i'd wake up and be like "it's SO pretty"
    What I meant was that you get tired of all the "wow, you must be really clever then"s.

ReputationRep:
    It's not very important to me, I agree with Hobnob's views on this matter.

Also, too many people have a tendency to ride on the coat tails of their university's prestige and develop a disproportionate sense of entitlement and achievement based on the mere reputation of their university.

ReputationRep:
    It's important to me not so much for the prestige but because, for better or worse, the better a university's reputation the better the students it attracts, on average.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -Em-)
    Plus, no-one selecting for PhDs or RA jobs is going to be swayed by your degree from a "Top 10" university if it isn't coming from a "Top 10" department too (though one would hope that it was the applicant being judged, not their alma mater).
    Even that isn't going to carry as much weight as you think. There are plenty of examples of people who've not done their undergraduate degrees in "top 10" departments, yet who have successfully found places, and thrived, on a PhD at high profile universities. The university you attended means considerably less at a postgraduate level than most people think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrShifty)
    Even that isn't going to carry as much weight as you think. There are plenty of examples of people who've not done their undergraduate degrees in "top 10" departments, yet who have successfully found places, and thrived, on a PhD at high profile universities. The university you attended means considerably less at a postgraduate level than most people think.
    Admission to a top PhD programme is aided by having attended a reputable university at undergrad. This is even more true for applying for PhDs abroad (US in particular). I'm not saying it's not possible to get into Harvard after doing your undergrad at Thames Valley, but it's certainly more difficult.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrShifty)
    Sorry if I wasn't clear. I wasn't presuming that it would be so important - it was more that the reputation of the university as a whole (I presume?) would be completely irrelevant.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.