Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Just how important is the University's reputation to you? watch

ReputationRep:
    It certainly mattered to me. The reputation of the department that is, not the whole university.

ReputationRep:
    A good reputation is an indication that the university is good overall. So yes, I would rather go to a university with a better reputation.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the lesson in getting admitted to a PhD programme, I'll have to remember that.

Also, in the UK at least, it's very difficult to speak of a PhD 'programme', never mind a top one. Having completed a PhD, most people are going to be a lot more interested in your list of publications and your supervisor's reference than where you've attended.

ReputationRep:
    Reputation is important, though for some courses more than others. When I was applying for Law the top uni's pretty much wanted AAA or AAB, then ex-polys were asking for BBB/BBC for a reason. In a subject like law or medicine where you graduate from is going to affect your employability.

If I were applying for a different course reputation wouldn't have been as much of an issue. I only cared so much about the uni's reputation because of the degree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nicangeli)
    Reputation of the department, yes.

Reputation of the Uni, no.
    i agree with this

ReputationRep:
    If I'm honest, I'd have a little problem attending a poly or ex-poly. I'm certainly not a "If I don't go to a top five uni, I must be a thicko" person (thats just as a bad), but overall I applied to universities that were generally good performers.

ReputationRep:
    I kind of feel ashamed of being interested in a uni's reputation because I feel like a snob, even though I'm not. For instance I'm not sure I could bring myself to go to Bath Spa or London South Bank, but I'm not sure if that's because they're lower-league-table unis or just that I don't like the sound of them!

The most important thing is the quality of teaching etc. though. I suppose that's why there are differences in reputation, so yes, it matters.

ReputationRep:
    It's pretty important yeah.

I mean come on. Electrical Engineering at Imperial needs AAA, it's a world class institution.

Electrical Engineering at Southampton Solent needs EEe, and only has lectures on Monday and Tuesday.

The quality of degree is better at a more prestigious university, no amount of PC can deny that.

ReputationRep:
    you're paying a lot of money for it, so the uni may as well be a good one. if you have good grades and a chance of getting into a really good uni, why on earth would you pass it up??

ReputationRep:
    It's certainly a factor in my decision, but as 4/5 of mine are top 20 overall and top 15 for my subject it doesn't matter that much.

ReputationRep:
    It's important to a degree (no pun intended). I'm not so much of a reputation whore that I would go to the most highly-rated university I could (and bar Oxbridge and probably LSE, I could have probably had my pick of any top ten unis) - but at the same time, I did use reputation to gauge which universities I wanted to apply to. So, I ended up applying to five universities, all with excellent reputations - the lowest in the league table of which was probably Newcastle, at around #22.

ReputationRep:
    hmm

ReputationRep:
    That's precisely what I had in mind. Nice to get into a good university. But at the end of the day, life at any university would be great (purely subjective). It's the education you receive that counts most. I wouldn't go to an ex-poly, otherwise any university is fine. I used to be all hyped up about university 'reputation' and 'prestige'... but now, it really doesn't matter whether I get into my first choice (Manchester) or my safe (Keele). All my choices are decent law schools anyway.

My goal is to set up a business one day.. so the university from which I received my degree wouldn't really matter at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tissue shoulders)
    you're paying a lot of money for it, so the uni may as well be a good one. if you have good grades and a chance of getting into a really good uni, why on earth would you pass it up??
    Exactly... It's only logical to want to go to a good university... I don't call it being snobbish, it's called value for money...

ReputationRep:
    Life is about more than prestige and the prestige of something that is greater, older, richer and farther-reaching than yourself will not get you anything in life if, in sharing a small proportion of that prestige, you are not prepared to work damn hard to get what you want in life.

Each step down the rung of Universities is more adversity for you to overcome, but no degree of adversity is insurmountable and if you work hard enough then you'll achieve whatever it is that you desire. Does prestige, then, matter to me?

Yes, it does, but it is my prestige that concerns me; the qualities of me as a person. I look neither down nor up in choosing a University, I look within myself and ask the question. If it feels good, if it feels right, then what do I care about the prestige of a place that shall only be a part of my life for three years?

A degree always opens a few doors at the very least. That alone is enough to content me. I think that my qualities shall eventually determine my fate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tissue shoulders)
    Because reputation =/= quality or suitability in all cases.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cpj1987)
    Because reputation =/= quality or suitability in all cases.
    of course, i wouldn't go for somewhere i didn't like just because of it's reputation. however, there are loads and loads and loads of really good universities out there these days, so everyone is bound to find a university that suits them, is good at their course and is prestigious.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LukeatForest)

Each step down the rung of Universities is more adversity for you to overcome, but no degree of adversity is insurmountable and if you work hard enough then you'll achieve whatever it is that you desire.
    Why make life harder for yourself then you have to? There's no point in making things more difficult if it can be avoided...

ReputationRep:
    It's important to me. Stop lying all of you who say it isn't!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RoisinSinead)
    I'm not sure I could bring myself to go to Bath Spa or London South Bank, but I'm not sure if that's because they're lower-league-table unis or just that I don't like the sound of them!
    I don't know. I like the sound of a Bath Spa... it sounds so relaxing!! I also like the sound of a Bank really

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.