Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Just how important is the University's reputation to you? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jismith1989)
    You have to pay at Oxford and Cambridge (even though it's not a great deal), don't you? So their websites say anyway.
    nope

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vapid slut magician)
    nope
    http://www.lang.ox.ac.uk/courses/fees.html

ReputationRep:
    It did sort of matter to me really. My choices of university weren't at all that high up on the league table for classics degrees. However they were the ones I felt I was capable of getting into. I know that they are very good universities, so as long as I come out with a 1st or a 2:1 i will be ok, cos i attended a well respected uni.

ReputationRep:
    All this crap about university reputation is nonsense. Its not important and nobody cares.

ReputationRep:
    It is definitely important to me, although it may not be to others. I'm hoping to study law, and I've heard that the uni you studied at (even if it shouldnt) can have an effect on your success at the bar, which is why I'm aiming for Oxbridge, Warwick Durham etc.
    xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coolworld37)
    All this crap about university reputation is nonsense.
    :yep:

Its not important
    :yep:

and nobody cares.
    :nah:

ReputationRep:
    All this crap about university reputation is nonsense. Its not important and nobody cares.
    It's important to some of us. You cant just form someones opinion for them. If people say it matters to them, it matters to them. Nothing you say will change that. And to me reputation does matter. I want to know that im getting the standard of teaching that is right for my level of learning, just because you say it doesn't matter doesn't speak for the general public attending or applying to uni. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meekle72)
    It's important to some of us. You cant just form someones opinion for them. If people say it matters to them, it matters to them. Nothing you say will change that. And to me reputaton does matter. I want to know that im getting the standard of teaching that is right for my level of learning, just because you say it doesn't matter doesn't speak for the general public attending or applying to uni. :rolleyes:
    Good for you mate

ReputationRep:
    Indeed. At the end of the day you have to like a university enough to want to spend three (or more) years of your life there. Your choice of uni isn't as important as some people on here seem to think.
    In terms of getting a job, plenty of people who got degrees from top uni's get unlucky in life and never realise their potential, while plenty of people who only went to ex-polys can strike it lucky and earn a large salary.

ReputationRep:
    It is pointless going to a **** uni, that is the real reason why one should go, employability

ReputationRep:
    i chose my uni on rep alone to be fair.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by poossum)
    It is pointless going to a **** uni, that is the real reason why one should go, employability
    So how does going to a "poor" university affect employability?

It feels as if we keep going around in circles.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by poossum)
    Is your genuine opinion that you go through three or more years of amazing educational opportunities, various experiences that you otherwise wouldn't get as easily, and a chance to gain knowledge and experience that you cannot gain any other way, JUST to come out with a piece of paper at the end?

ReputationRep:
    extremely, i want a good education and job - and on top of that a DLitt

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vidachick)
    I beg to differ tbh. You don't really go to Oxford anyway.
    if you say so. don't recall saying I did, however...

ReputationRep:
    it wasn't a factor for me. i picked my unis based on whether i though i stood a good chance of getting in. and i liked them when i when to see them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vidachick)
    It's not very important tbh. A degree is a degree. It's the amount of effort that you put in at the end of the day.
    Seriously, how can a degree just be a degree ? Then all unis could be named as The University of the UK in Manchester/Bolton/Warwick/Oxford/etc. A degree from Oxford isn't exactly equally valued as a degree from, just say, Wolverhampton.

ReputationRep:
    Reputation is the factor for me when choosing a university. I wouldn't just go anywhere, but only to a top-ranking, Nobel-crunching university.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LO :))
    Reputation is important, though for some courses more than others. When I was applying for Law the top uni's pretty much wanted AAA or AAB, then ex-polys were asking for BBB/BBC for a reason. In a subject like law or medicine where you graduate from is going to affect your employability.

If I were applying for a different course reputation wouldn't have been as much of an issue. I only cared so much about the uni's reputation because of the degree.
    Hell NO! Medical graduates from any university (yes Peninsula vs. Oxford) are all equally treated and have equal employability.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BadExaminee)
    Hell NO! Medical graduates from any university (yes Peninsula vs. Oxford) are all equally treated and have equal employability.

My bad.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.