Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Just how important is the University's reputation to you? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IcEmAn911)
    It's very important hence why I went from an ex-poly to a more prestigious university because at the end of the day employers tend to be influenced by where you got your degree from..

Whilst choosing between Aston Uni and Nottingham Uni I decided to go with Nottingham purely because of it's reputation.. no offence to Aston which performs much better than Nottingham in Business however reputation and prestige proved to be the ultimate factor.
    Wait ... if reputation and prestige were the ultimate factor then why did you choose nottinghham for a business related course? ABS is one of the highest ranked business schools in England. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    The uni doesnt matter to me but that's because I'm doing psychology where all of the psychology courses that are worth doing in the UK are accredited by the BPS. Accreditation by the British Psychological Society take into account, not only the modules that should cover aspects of psychology, but also the quality of teaching.

So doing a BSc Human Psychology degree at DMU or a BSc Human Psychology degree at Oxford, both of which are accredited, are the same in this instance.

Anyway, I always thought that regardless of which Uni you went to, employers look at the classification of the degree you have and not the reputation of the Uni?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IanDangerously)
    Wait ... if reputation and prestige were the ultimate factor then why did you choose nottinghham for a business related course? ABS is one of the highest ranked business schools in England. :confused:
    But its mother, Aston University, isn't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KadeK)
    Anyway, I always thought that regardless of which Uni you went to, employers look at the classification of the degree you have and not the reputation of the Uni?
    I don't think so - maybe for psychology that is the case, but I am still not entirely convinced that a DMU degree is on par with a Oxford degree even for that subject.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KadeK)
    It depends on how elitist the employer is; it'll be hit and miss. Some choose the best candidate, some look for a university name and base their judgement on that.
    Elitism is more common in some careers than others; it shouldn't matter much in psychology at all.

ReputationRep:
    Very, enough for me to commute 45 mins and leave all my closest friends behind at a uni 1 minute away from my house, just for the name/course.

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely none. But that's the beauty of the medicine course.

ReputationRep:
    The reputation of the uni is VERY important to me. There's a reason why people aren't queuing up for ex polys.

ReputationRep:
    It probably matters to those in a reputable uni, while those who aren't at a reputable uni will say things such as "reputation isn't everything".

It does matter, though. Employers do care.

ReputationRep:
    Very important. End of.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KadeK)

well they do, but uni classifications aren't standardized so they're not directly comparable.

ReputationRep:
    Its the most important factor but not the sole factor for me. University's reputation tends to attract different 'types' of students.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vincente)
    Its the most important factor but not the sole factor for me. University's reputation tends to attract different 'types' of students.
    What 'types' of students does it attract?

ReputationRep:
    Very, because it is the only means I have of judging a university. If someone says a single bad thing about a uni it puts me off so much!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the negative rep, anonymous person. However, a negative rep for a thread with such a good response?
    Coward.

ReputationRep:
    What 'types' of students does it attract?
    Students with similar aspirations, work-ethic and passion for their chosen courses as myself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vincente)
    Students with similar aspirations, work-ethic and passion for their chosen courses as myself.
    I agree...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pineapplesmoothie)
    Thanks for the negative rep, anonymous person. However, a negative rep for a thread with such a good response?
    Coward.
    well said. heres a rep.

lmao.

ReputationRep:
    It's very important to me. I don't see why you'd go to a less prestigious university if you could go to a better one. Pretty much everyone I know is having fun at uni, so if you could be happy almost anywhere then I don't see why you wouldn't go for the more prestigious you could.

ReputationRep:
    It's quite important for me; but I've got Sussex in my list because I love Brighton as a place, and even though Bath's not got the greatest ranking for my subject, it doesn't matter. Because I like Bath.
    I guess I'm pretty lucky that I don't like massive industrial cities, hence the apps to Warwick and Durham <3

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.