Turn on thread page Beta

Just how important is the University's reputation to you? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snobpence17)
    What I meant was you leave at 9 and come back at 5, basically having that time containing lectures of all sorts, and lunch et.c, not stone set 9 to 5.
    Even if this is what you meant, it's still far from reality. The most lecture time I've ever had in a single day is four hours, and even then it was compensated by another day having only a single lecture or even a completely free day.

If that's honestly what you expect, you're likely to be very disappointed, whereever you happen to go.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrShifty)
    Even if this is what you meant, it's still far from reality. The most lecture time I've ever had in a single day is four hours, and even then it was compensated by another day having only a single lecture or even a completely free day.
    He's a prospective engineering student (I think). Their days are filled with teaching sessions and workshops. Unlike lazy arts students like me

(Original post by john14)
    I've applied to Edinburgh, Leeds, Nottingham, Manchester and Sheffield. They all have a solid reputation as Universities, but admittedly they are not as prestigious as say Warwick or LSE by any stretch.
    Um...I wouldn't really agree with that. Nottingham, Manchester and Edinburgh can all, in my opinion at least, rival Warwick "prestige-wise". If they don't quite match then they aren't far behind at all.

Of course, it is of only limited importance, just wanted to say...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snobpence17)
    Not true, they are given a list of topics that they must include, that's pretty much it.

An electrical engineering degree from Southampton Solent is accredited, yet needs grades EEe and only teaches lectures on Monday and Tuesday. A first from there can no way be compared to one at a better uni.

However there isn't going to be much difference between say Bristol and Sheffield, employers won't care there.
    Actually I am right. If you go onto the BPS website and you take a look on the accreditation section there are documents you can download that provide information on the accreditation process.

This process involves the accreditation team visiting the university that has applied for accreditation and seeing if the university complies with all the accreditation criteria. For example, the university must have a certain number of qualified lecturers delivering the course and most of these lecturers must be full time. Also the psychology must all be delivered in one department that is fully equipped with resources that would aid a students learning such as computer labs, lecture theatres. It's things like that which ensure quality of teaching that are taken into consideration as well, not only the content of psychology as you suggest.

If it was just about the content, then don't you think all psychology courses would be change their course material and apply for accreditation? It's the reason why all psychology courses aren't accredited because they don't comply with all the criteria that ensures the programme to be of a certain quality.

Conclusively, accredited psychology courses are comparable from uni to uni because they are all pretty much the same.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by River85)
    He's a prospective engineering student (I think). Their days are filled with teaching sessions and workshops. Unlike lazy arts students like me
    I would say that lounging on the chez, embarking on an absinthe fuelled exploration of the transcendental counts for much more than does tinkering in some workshop and bashing things with hammers*.

*even then, 9-5 each day is a bit much to expect from even an engineering course.

ReputationRep:
    I can't stress this enough.

REPUTATION is the MOST AND ONLY IMPORTANT THING

you will come out with your degree, and there can be two scenarios:

1) "Which university did you attend?"
    "Leeds"
    " er..ok..........did you enjoy it?"

2) "Which university did you attend?"
    "Oxford"
    " Wow! that is GREAT! Please tell me how did you manage to gain such achievement?"

Just ask yourself, which scenario do you want yourself to be in?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by good)

"Leeds"

"Oxford"
    " Wow! that is GREAT! Please tell me how did you manage to gain such achievement?"

:rolleyes:
    Yep; that's exactly how the world works. Two categories, black and white. Fun vs. Achievement.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by good)

"Leeds"

"Oxford"

Leeds is a good Uni!! ... But I do know what you mean. I wouldn't say it's the be all and end all though.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by good)
    "Oxford"
    OK, clearly you've never actually been in this situation...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by good)

"Leeds"

"Oxford"

:rolleyes: Do you always write as though you're writing a cheap, Dale-Carnegie-esque self-help manual?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by good)

"Leeds"

"Oxford"

:rofl:

good for the lulz, you are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by good)

"Leeds"

"Oxford"

Is this a serious response? Because you know, if someone went to Oxford and got a third class degree that's "such a great achievement" since reputation is the "only important thing".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by good)

"Leeds"

"Oxford"

Mate, given your very poor command of the English langauge I very much doubt you have attended a "tier one university". Yes, Oxford is a great uni. However, Leeds is a well-respected and solid redbrick. There are few employers who would react with such...disappointment?

(Original post by hobnob)
    OK, clearly you've never actually been in this situation...
    You mean it's not true that every employer, if they are interviewing someone and discover they are from Oxford or Cambridge, will do five circuits of the room, give repeated orgasmical (oo er) whoops before passing out in the middle of the floor?

I don't believe it.

ReputationRep:
    Mate, given your very poor command of the English langauge I very much doubt you have attended a "tier one university".
    then I am so glad my ability to enter a good uni is not based upon your............."doubt"

:o: :o: :o:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by good)
    then I am so glad my ability to enter a good uni is not based upon your............."doubt"

:o: :o: :o:
    That doesn't even make sense

:o: :o: :o: (whatever that's supposed to mean)

ReputationRep:
    That doesn't even make sense

:o: :o: :o: (whatever that's supposed to mean)

It doesn't? Just take it literally, it isn't THAT hard.

:o: :o: :o: ( three smiley faces: happiness, joy, love)

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.