Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    No. Whatever an individual's ethnicity, background, or religion, everyone should be equal before the law. The same laws should apply to EVERYBODY. If our legal system does not suit a person's way of life, they should go and live somewhere where it does.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hamster33)
    I AM A MUSLIM Right when asking muslims what they want in the uk they will say sharia law. but e are realistic, we understand that we are a minority. and religion and politics dont mix in this country. we understand! but again when asked what we would prefer we are going to say sharia law.
    Well considering the fact that you live in a country that is christian, why should sharia law be used you don't see any other religions that are ALSO in a minority demanding that Laws from their respective religions to be used in the Juridical System

ReputationRep:
    For goodness' sake, no. This has been asked many a time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ratsr)
    why should I specifically ask a Jew?
    All the fuss over Sharia law being used in Britain and the Jews have had their courts being used for over a decade. Hardly anyone mentions that.

ReputationRep:
    ...Wut.

Arbitration is a method of getting two people to agree to something, why does the state need to interfere in that voluntary signing of a contract? Why is it anyones business what religious or political doctrine they base signing the contract from?

In real law that is applicable to everyone I would be the first on the streets to protest but arbitration is not real law: it is voluntary law and therefore the rules should be voluntary.

ReputationRep:
    I AM A MUSLIM Right when asking muslims what they want in the uk they will say sharia law. but e are realistic, we understand that we are a minority. and religion and politics dont mix in this country. we understand! but again when asked what we would prefer we are going to say sharia law.
    Why would you say that? It'd just create more discrimination within the UK (against Muslims)?

As before, if I was in a Muslim country I wouldn't dare to say I wanted Christian law implemented. It wouldn't be my right, and I know it'd just cause more persecution of Christians.

ReputationRep:
    No way

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ratsr)
    Can I just point out that the argument to adopt civil law in this country has nothing to do with muslims and islam, but improving OUR law.
    Erm, actually, it does. Sharia law is Islamic and therefore exists only to serve people of that faith.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ratsr)
    Can I just point out that the argument to adopt civil law in this country has nothing to do with muslims and islam, but improving OUR law.

Some people don't seam to know that. Most of which seam like BNP members.
    I am definitely not a BNP member I just don't like the fact that just because we are scared of getting attack by some extremists, the government is trying to do everything to please them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PeanutButterJellyTime)
    Well considering the fact that you live in a country that is christian, why should sharia law be used you don't see any other religions that are ALSO in a minority demanding that Laws from their respective religions to be used in the Juridical System
    i was saying thats what we prefer. but its unrealistic. we dont demand anything!!

ReputationRep:
    It's not about pleasing muslims. It's about having freedom of contract. If two muslims want to sign a contract solving a dispute between themselves then it is their right in a free society to include shariah law in that contract, in the same way that applies to jews and to christians, to people who worship mr blobby, to atheists, everyone has the freedom of contract. Allowing shariah law to be used in arbitration is increasing the equality of our legal system, not decreasing it like some people have suggested.

ReputationRep:
    No way, if they want Sharia law they know where they can go for it. It's an inferior law system that has left the entire east a backwards **** hole mess, clearly trying to get civil sharia law is an attempt to move things towards a more muslim state. There are already going to be big problems when 'minorities' start to make up a more significant percentage of the country; look at any country where Muslims and others have had to live together; it has always resulted in complete domination by the Muslims or the country being split in half so the Muslims can ruin their half.

ReputationRep:
    No - we have a fair justice system in this country - shariah law by comparison is heavily biased against certain individuals (especially women). If our country is good enough to live and work in, you should abide by our law and if you do wrong, you should be prosecuted under our law. That's all there is to it.

ReputationRep:
    Peanut! You think this government is trying to please us. Do you know how much institutional racism is in this country.

ReputationRep:
    "should we use shariah?" , no, are you mad?

ReputationRep:
    i was saying thats what we prefer. but its unrealistic. we dont demand anything!!
    I dont mean every single muslim i mean EXTREMISTS

I have nothing against MUSLIMS i have a problem with extremists

ReputationRep:
    west west. Christianity is an eastern religion! thats where it started

ReputationRep:
    ********s! There has been no talk by the Govt of introducing Shariah Law into the Criminal or the Civil Courts, just for Arbitration.

ReputationRep:
    or well, at least islam is a western religion

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ratsr)
    western law = CHRISTIAN. (Catholic, Jewish etc). Arab Law is mostly the same as Jewish/Catholic law. You are speaking of something you know nothing about.
    Then stop flaming and give some hard facts/evidence, n00b.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.