Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ratsr)
    * I believe this [9/11] was fake (look at the videos closely and loose change etc) as the US needed to go to war, however subsequent terrorist attacks were done by Muslims.
    Explains it all (your views, I mean)

ReputationRep:
    i agree with ratsr. one day there could be a muslim holocaust!

ReputationRep:
    No, this is Britain, not an Islamic state. If they want to live by outdated Islamic laws from the Dark Ages then perhaps they should apply to Saudi Arabia?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bagration)
    ur rong sory lol

People can create any contract they like based off whatever they believe to sign for the purpoes of Arbitration.

Nobody is suggesting that Shariah law be implemented alongside British law in the Civil or Criminal Courts, but simply that people should be able to use Shariah law in the system of Arbitration.
    But Sharia law was not implemented in order to serve Christians, Catholics, Jews or Sikhs, was it. It was implemented to serve Muslims.

ReputationRep:
    Nobody has suggested Sharia law in civil cases. Or criminal cases. This is a typical kneejerk reaction of the British public to the word 'Sharia.'
    Well clearly the OP has...

Also people oppose Sharia law for different reasons - the 'kneejerk' reaction can be applied to reactionaries, readers of the Daily Mail and such. I would class my reaction as 'curious' as I don't know enough about it to make a specific judgement - hence my question.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ratsr)
    I thought that was what you was saying, but I thought it was strange that something like this hadn't surfaced ages ago.

Different races are always hated:

Indians and Pakistanis from about (1940s+ ?) when they came over
    Jews over 50 years ago (and before)
    west indians when a large number came over (in the 70s?)
    Irish when the IRA was about
    Muslims after an extremists allegedly crashed planes into the twin towers*

It always happens, people hated/scapegoated. I wonder if the next race to be hated on would be the race of you, reading this o.O.

* I believe this was fake (look at the videos closely and loose change etc) as the US needed to go to war, however subsequent terrorist attacks were done by Muslims.
    Irish are a different race?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amy***)
    Well clearly the OP has...

Also people oppose Sharia law for different reasons - the 'kneejerk' reaction can be applied to reactionaries, readers of the Daily Mail and such. I would class my reaction as 'curious' as I don't know enough about it to make a specific judgement - hence my question.
    "we should allow people (provided both parties agree) to opt into any arbitrary system of justice they choose."

Clearly he hasn't. Neither civil nor criminal courts are voluntary.

(Original post by Antonia87)
    But Sharia law was not implemented in order to serve Christians, Catholics, Jews or Sikhs, was it. It was implemented to serve Muslims.
    lmao. Shariah law has not been "implemented." Contract freedom was ensured for Muslims by allowing Shariah law in arbitrary, voluntary agreements. No section of Shariah law has been made mandatory to any member of the British public for any reason at any time.

Stop reading the Daily Mail.

ReputationRep:
    * I believe this was fake (look at the videos closely and loose change etc) as the US needed to go to war, however subsequent terrorist attacks were done by Muslims.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    seriously... the notion of it being fake is ridiculous

ReputationRep:
    No!

Religion should be thrown away in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PeanutButterJellyTime)
    No. Simple As. Why should one religion be treated differently, compared to others. Only because the particular religion becomes outraged by the simplest things, and uses fear to suppress anyone acting against them.
    Well considering the fact that you live in a country that is christian, why should sharia law be used you don't see any other religions that are ALSO in a minority demanding that Laws from their respective religions to be used in the Juridical System
    Again, sheer ignorance. The law presently in place would allow any religious or secular group to do exactly the same thing; the Jews have been doing it for generations.

(Original post by tristanperry)
    Nope.

If Muslims don't like our law (civil or otherwise), they don't have to be here.

Just as if I (as a Christian) didn't like the law (civil or otherwise) in a Muslim country, I wouldn't have to stay there.
    (Original post by tommm)
    No. If someone wants to live in this country, then that's fine by me as long as they abide by its laws, but if they want Shariah law, then they should go and live in a country which already has it.
    No. Whatever an individual's ethnicity, background, or religion, everyone should be equal before the law. The same laws should apply to EVERYBODY. If our legal system does not suit a person's way of life, they should go and live somewhere where it does.
    Well, this country already has it - so really it should be you leaving. It would probably make Britain a damn sight better to lose a few arseheads.

Have you not perhaps learned that 'if you don't like it, **** off' is hardly an appropriate way to be governing a country?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thud)
    Irish are a different race?
    Well, they're celtic. The British establishment is Anglo-Saxon, I think there's a notable difference...

You'd have to ask Pavlik -_-

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    Again, sheer ignorance. The law presently in place would allow any religious or secular group to do exactly the same thing; the Jews have been doing it for generations.

Well, this country already has it - so really it should be you leaving. It would probably make Britain a damn sight better to lose a few arseheads.
    THANK YOU

ReputationRep:
    "we should allow people (provided both parties agree) to opt into any arbitrary system of justice they choose."

Clearly he hasn't.
    You're just being pedantic to try and make yourself look clever. This is a debate about whether 'we should allow people to opt into any arbitrary system of justice they choose [in civil cases]' - clearly Sharia falls under the umbrella of 'any arbitrary system'.

ReputationRep:
    no.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    You really can't stand the fact that some people may have a different perception of things to you, can you.

ReputationRep:
    i swear this has been discussed before.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilangel890)
    Most definately not. The thought repulses me.
    Of course youd actually have to dress as if you werent naked, (you wake up in the morning and instead of dressing put effort into creating lust, lure, this is your purpose, every morning you wake up you do the devils work) youd have to stop clucking around as if the whole world should be subservient to you and should listen to your vain talk.

ReputationRep:
    Ignorant ********s. Read my posts -_-
    Haha I feel your frustration, it seems many have no idea what Shariah Law means in the context of it's implementation in the UK, they just hear something Islamic-sounding and instantly declare 'NO'.

ReputationRep:
    Well you don't see many middle eastern countries allowing any sort of freedom to other religions using their religion in a court case.
    Well, it can't have escaped your notice that we don't live in Saudi Arabia. Or Iran. Just because they do something, doesn't necessarily make it best. Maybe you'd prefer it if we were. But I quite like living in a liberal enlightened democracy.

I don't see why, if two parties consent to having their case argued under sharia law, they shouldn't be allowed to do so. Actually, if two parties want their settlement argued under jedi or scientology law, I think they should be allowed.

ReputationRep:
    You really can't stand the fact that some people may have a different perception of things to you, can you.
    I can't stand racist and sectarian bigots coming up with mythical fictions to justify their bigotry, no. Moreover, I don't like people proffering options grounded solely in ignorance, when the wonders of the internet allow you to actually educate yourself to a reasonable degree on a subject within moments.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.