Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arrogant Git)
    Well, it can't have escaped your notice that we don't live in Saudi Arabia. Or Iran. Just because they do something, doesn't necessarily make it best. Maybe you'd prefer it if we were. But I quite like living in a liberal enlightened democracy.
    Hear hear.

ReputationRep:
    Liberal, enlightened democracy, thats a good one, git youve been had.

ReputationRep:
    g=funny how some of the people on this thread have warning levels, i wonder what attracted them to this thread. May the racists please leave

ReputationRep:
    No

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amy***)
    You're just being pedantic to try and make yourself look clever. This is a debate about whether 'we should allow people to opt into any arbitrary system of justice they choose [in civil cases]' - clearly Sharia falls under the umbrella of 'any arbitrary system'.
    I'm not being "pedantic", I'm echoing the same argument for it that the Lord Phillips made, if you're too lazy or ignorant to educate yourself on shariah law in this country and the arguments around it that's not my problem.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hamster33)
    g=funny how some of the people on this thread have warning levels, i wonder what attracted them to this thread. May the racists please leave
    Well You may feel i am a racist, but all religions throughout the ages has just brought death and destruction, hate and fear and that's it. Never Peace.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bagration)
    "we should allow people (provided both parties agree) to opt into any arbitrary system of justice they choose."

Clearly he hasn't. Neither civil nor criminal courts are voluntary.
    Unless I'm getting severely confused, civil cases concern, primarily, a dispute between two individuals. Provided they both consent to a particular form of justice, they should be allowed to have the case heard under any justice system they choose. Obviously, if they can't agree on an 'alternative' justice system, the case should go to a traditional court, in my opinion (in a county court or what have you).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PeanutButterJellyTime)
    Well You may feel i am a racist, but all religions throughout the ages has just brought death and destruction, hate and fear and that's it. Never Peace.
    Yeah clearly buddhism is a lie and doesn't exist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arrogant Git)
    Unless I'm getting severely confused, civil cases concern, primarily, a dispute between two individuals. Provided they both consent to a particular form of justice, they should be allowed to have the case heard under any justice system they choose. Obviously, if they can't agree on an 'alternative' justice system, the case should go to a traditional court, in my opinion (in a county court or what have you).
    Precisely. I agree.

ReputationRep:
    "love thy neighbor"
    jesus

ReputationRep:
    Yeah clearly buddhism is a lie and doesn't exist.
    Lol well there are extremist Buddhist

ReputationRep:
    "we should allow people (provided both parties agree) to opt into any arbitrary system of justice they choose."

Clearly he hasn't. Neither civil nor criminal courts are voluntary.

lmao. Shariah law has not been "implemented." Contract freedom was ensured for Muslims by allowing Shariah law in arbitrary, voluntary agreements. No section of Shariah law has been made mandatory to any member of the British public for any reason at any time.
    I meant "implemented" into the British Legal System.
    If you find me a valid source stating that Sharia law may be conducted in absolutely any civil case, regardless of the person's religion, I'll retract my statement.

And it has nothing to do with "reading the Daily Mail". We have had numerous discussions in my Politics class (which includes five muslims) and very, very few were in favour of adopting Sharia law. Interestingly enough, not one Muslim in my class advocated it, because they believed that everyone should be EQUAL BEFORE THE LAW.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Antonia87)
    I meant "implemented" into the British Legal System.
    If you find me a valid source stating that Sharia law may be conducted in absolutely any civil case, regardless of the person's religion, I'll retract my statement.
    If you can find a valid source saying that only Muslims may use Sharia Law in a civil case then I will partially retract my statement.

ReputationRep:
    If you can find a valid source saying that only Muslims may use Sharia Law in a civil case then I will partially retract my statement.
    Does that mean you can't find any source? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I'm not being "pedantic", I'm echoing the same argument for it that the Lord Phillips made, if you're too lazy or ignorant to educate yourself on shariah law in this country and the arguments around it that's not my problem.
    Well you clearly didn't read my first post. I know relatively little about Sharia law so i was asking a question. However the little i do know about Sharia law is not based upon reactionary racism or Islamophobia but simple concerns about the equality of women under any legal system. Feminism isn't reactionary it's progressive - not everybody who is suspicious of the idea of Sharia law is a bigot, in fact quite the opposite. Perhaps you need to be 'educated' about that...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Antonia87)
    Does that mean you can't find any source? :rolleyes:
    It means I have better things to be doing than looking for sources that don't refute my argument anyway.

ReputationRep:
    funny. I asked my islamic priest, what he thought of sharia law in the uk. H early laughed. HE said that there was no chance and it wasn't needed. He said the idea was never made by the muslim community but by Racial hate figures. That those afraid of terrorism jumped into te threat of the idea.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, why the **** not?! If thats all that needs to happen to stop these bloody discussions then it's a small price to pay.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amy***)
    Well you clearly didn't read my first post. I know relatively little about Sharia law so i was asking a question. However the little i do know about Sharia law is not based upon reactionary racism or Islamophobia but simple concerns about the equality of women under any legal system. Feminism isn't reactionary it's progressive - not everybody who is suspicious of the idea of Sharia law is a bigot, in fact quite the opposite. Perhaps you need to be 'educated' about that...
    If the contract is opt-in, i.e., voluntary, there is no need to be worried about the equality of women... if they feel they're being treated badly they will simply not agree to use Islamic law.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roots)
    Of course youd actually have to dress as if you werent naked, (you wake up in the morning and instead of dressing put effort into creating lust, lure, this is your purpose, every morning you wake up you do the devils work) youd have to stop clucking around as if the whole world should be subservient to you and should listen to your vain talk.
    Nah I'd just love to see people having their hand chopped off for stealing. And love to see people die because the law says certain people can't give organs. And I'd really REALLY love to see Muslims killed for apostacy, denying God and murder.

WOOOOOOT. :rolleyes: Do you even know the slightest thing about Islam?

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.