Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Should we use Shariah Law in the UK? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mattaf)
    No the actual law states that for it to be rape, 5 people have to witness the crime. And if that isn't the case, the woman is seen to be a harlot. The penalty for which is death by stoning.

Makes perfect sense doesn't it?:rolleyes:
    Not true. In Sharia criminal law, for zina (sex outside marriage), four witnesses are needed to prove it any which way. The traditional punishment if they are single is a hundred lashes and if they are married is death by stoning. In the vast majority of Islamic scholarship, rape is treated as hiraba (disorder) rather than zina which does not have the requirement for four witnesses.

In the minority of cases in which rape is treated as zina, the four witnesses applies to both the man and the woman, so if it can't be proved that the man raped the woman, it can't be proved that the woman committed zina either. In certain, tragic, cases the system of justice goes wrong (usually when practiced by a deranged judge in a country with no governance e.g. the poor girl in Somalia) and the victim is punished.

I'm not saying that stoning adulterers is right- I hate the death penalty for anything especially things that aren't actually crimes. Nor do I like Sharia criminal law- it's barbaric and uncivilised. But people are extremely ignorant about it. But I think in civil cases, Sharia law could be used to resolve disputes when both parties agree to it.

ReputationRep:
    for all the people saying no: do some research on shariah and then decide. its not all stoning to death. form your own opinion and dont listen to the media.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilangel890)
    Um yes. Did you?
    Either you didn't or you're illiterate because the OP specifically mentions that Islamic law would be voluntary.

ReputationRep:
    Shariah law is simply stupid, only animals believe that it is credible.

ReputationRep:
    Surely this post has answered the question by now! The majority of people are saying no therefore the answer is no! We are a democratic country therefore the majority rules!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazygirl343)
    Surely this post has answered the question by now! The majority of people are saying no therefore the answer is no! We are a democratic country therefore the majority rules!
    They said that here, too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazygirl343)
    I see you're new here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shaun1991)
    Shariah law is simply stupid, only animals believe that it is credible.
    Good job! But your freedom to not stone someone shouldn't interfere with someone else's freedom to do so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    I can't stand racist and sectarian bigots coming up with mythical fictions to justify their bigotry, no. Moreover, I don't like people proffering options grounded solely in ignorance, when the wonders of the internet allow you to actually educate yourself to a reasonable degree on a subject within moments.
    And I can't stand idiots who call everyone who disagrees with them 'racists'.

It just shows us for the intellectual insect that you are.

Personally I believe all the pro-Sharia people are either closet clerical fascists or misogynists. Or probably both.

I wonder if you'd support Christians trying to use their law system in Saudi Arabia.

I won't hold my breath....

(Original post by L i b)
    Well, this country already has it - so really it should be you leaving.
    Really? I must of missed all those amputations of thieves' hands, not to mention the execution of rape victims for 'fornication' taking place in Britain.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Grim_the_Reaper)
    And I can't stand idiots who call everyone who disagrees with them 'racists'.

It just shows us for the intellectual insect that you are.
    Trust me, I don't feel remotely threatened.

I wonder if you'd support Christians trying to use their law system in Saudi Arabia.
    Of course. I'd support all sorts of arbitration in all countries. I'd even support rather more focus on our own, established religion in this country: I don't see why the state should have a monopoly on divorce, for example, and the C of E not involve itself.

Really? I must of missed all those amputations of thieves' hands, not to mention the execution of rape victims for 'fornication' taking place in Britain.
    God, you're a cretin.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Neville 'Facking' Bartos)
    Prehaps you can tell me how many Saudi's are "Chrsitians"
    Well if thousands moved in, do you really think Saudi Arabia would let them use their own laws?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaveJ)
    Well if thousands moved in, do you really think Saudi Arabia would let them use their own laws?
    Probably not, no. So what?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaveJ)
    I don't know..... if, buts and maybes .....

What do you mean by "own laws", European Law, American Law or Christian Law??? What is 'Christian Law' anyway? (<< serious question)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    Probably not, no. So what?
    Well, why should we go out of our way to accommodate Muslims if they are not prepared to to the same for us?

I'll probably get called racist, but I think that's a reasonable opinion.

ReputationRep:
    An interesting point in re: women's rights. In traditional Christian common law throughout Europe, a woman lost almost all of her rights of legal personality and the ability to keep her own property independent of her husband.

When the British moved into several Islamic countries, replacing Sharia with British law, the effect was to strip many women of their property entirely.

Anyway, there's a theory that English law is largely based in Islamic origins, imported by the Normans from Sicily.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaveJ)
    Well, why should we go out of our way to accommodate Muslims if they are not prepared to to the same for us?
    Because we're not a third-world quasi-dictatorship?

Really, your argument stinks. Should we all simply behave as the lowest common denominator? Should I go out and beat up Muslims because some other Muslims would be happy to do so to me?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    Trust me, I don't feel remotely threatened.
    I assure you I'm not threatened by being called a racist. ESPECIALLY not by a hypocrite who supports such a misogynistic law system.

(Original post by L i b)
    God, you're a cretin.
    So Sharia Law is all sunshine and rainbows? Get your head out the sand.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Neville 'Facking' Bartos)
    Prehaps you can tell me how many Saudi's are "Chrsitians"
    Muslims make up 3% of the UK population at most. The idea we should violate our principles to accomodate a 3% minority (most of whom don't want Sharia Law) is stupid beyond belief.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Grim_the_Reaper)
    I assure you I'm not threatened by being called a racist. ESPECIALLY not by a hypocrite who supports such a misogynistic law system.

So Sharia Law is all sunshine and rainbows? Get your head out the sand.

If you hate the West so much to the point of supporting islamification then why do you still live here?

It's down to people like you Britain is in the state it's in now.
    :woo:

ReputationRep:

fukin pakis innit lyk

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.