Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sephirona)
    I'm not sure whether someone said this already but Islamic ideology and Capitalism/Democratic ideology shouldn't mix. You either have a country which follows the Islamic laws 100% or you have a country which follows the Capitalist regime.
    Or, we do what we do now - which works perfectly well. False dilemma much?

ReputationRep:
    The idea makes me sick, I HATE when religious people get special treatment.

ReputationRep:
    I doubt many countries with Shariah law being the main system would do the same thing for people who were Christian/brought up in a predominently Christian country, so no.

Isn't shariah law already put in place for civil disputes anyway? I.e divorce etc... for muslim marriages

Religion shouldn't mix with law, they are in general too open to interpretation to have a place in any legal system in my opinion (but, then again, I am an atheist, and I do recognise a lot of laws and morals DO evolve from religious values eg. thou shalt not kill/commit adultery etc etc)

People can cite religion as their excuse for so many things, it would cause too much trouble!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jacinta)

Religion shouldn't mix with law, they are in general too open to interpretation to have a place in any legal system in my opinion (but, then again, I am an atheist, and I do recognise a lot of laws and morals DO evolve from religious values eg. thou shalt not kill/commit adultery etc etc)

!

Why do witnesses swear on the bible?

Why does it says we trust in God on US currency?

ReputationRep:
    No. One of the things set in stone in a country is their legal system. None of us could ask to be tried under the British legal system in a country where Shariah Law applies.

ReputationRep:
    I doubt many countries with Shariah law being the main system would do the same thing for people who were Christian/brought up in a predominently Christian country, so no.

Isn't shariah law already put in place for civil disputes anyway? I.e divorce etc... for muslim marriages
    No. That's why it should be introduced.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JewWithNation)
    Why do witnesses swear on the bible?
    Personally, I don't think a person who isn't christian should have to swear on the Bible, purely because it doesn't mean anything to them!

But that's a different matter

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arrogant Git)
    No. That's why it should be introduced.
    But that's the point, I doubt many Muslim countries would be willing to do likewise, so it would be a lost cause.

And also, I think it has a danger or being brought in here for the wrong reasons, ie. to be 'politically correct' and 'look how multicultural we are', rather than to actually be beneficial to the legal system.

ReputationRep:
    But that's the point, I doubt many Muslim countries would be willing to do likewise, so it would be a lost cause.
    Why is that at all relevant? Muslims who live in this country live in this country not a muslim country. I doubt America or Tuvalu would do likewise, but we shouldn't wait for them to take the lead. We should do what's right.

And also, I think it has a danger or being brought in here for the wrong reasons, ie. to be 'politically correct' and 'look how multicultural we are', rather than to actually be beneficial to the legal system.
    Also, I don't think that is at all relevant. And I think it would benefit the legal system by allowing two muslims (or jedi or scientologist or any manner of crazy belief system) to settle disputes in a way agreeable to both of them. In a multicultural nation, it's important to settle issues within communities and in a culturally sensitive way. If that sounds like politically correct ********, it's because it is. But it's also right. There's nothing at all to be gained by forcing two muslims to settle a civil disagreement in a way that neither of them wants/agrees with. Far better to allow Sharia Law (if both parties want it) or Beth Din or the Jedi Council or whatever to decide, if that's what both parties want.

Much as it fills me with anguish to see religion playing a part in people's day-to-day lives, the fact remains that it does.

P.S. You don't have to swear an oath on the bible in court. You can, if you choose, affirm.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tristanperry)
    Nope.

If Muslims don't like our law (civil or otherwise), they don't have to be here.

Just as if I (as a Christian) didn't like the law (civil or otherwise) in a Muslim country, I wouldn't have to stay there.
    I agree. Have to say I also agree that everything in your signature really does suck!

ReputationRep:

There's nothing at all to be gained by forcing two muslims to settle a civil disagreement in a way that neither of them wants/agrees with. Far better to allow Sharia Law (if both parties want it) or Beth Din or the Jedi Council or whatever to decide, if that's what both parties want.

P.S. You don't have to swear an oath on the bible in court. You can, if you choose, affirm.
    Can't you settle civil disputes (eg. divorce) in this way already if both parties are Muslim/Jedi or whatever? Correct me if I'm wrong

Also, I didn't know about the choice of swearing/not swearing on the Bible, many thanks for enlightening me

ReputationRep:
    I'd say no.

We have a British judicial sysytem, are we all not British citizens? so lets abide by that system then surely.

And by the way no i'm not racist, and no i'm not anti muslim.

ReputationRep:
    Nah I'd just love to see people having their hand chopped off for stealing.
    And love to see people die because the law says certain people can't give organs. And I'd really REALLY love to see Muslims killed for apostacy, denying God and murder.

If you used these laws thered be far less conflict or chaos in society, if your heart had been expanded to accept islam youd understand the seriousness of apostacy, ask someone and theyll run, when you know you are on the right path and on the right religion and when you have knowledge, then to change religion is like war against Allah (swt)

Ask the scholars what their stance is.

http://www.themodernreligion.com/mis...-donation.html

Whosoever saves the life of one person it would be as if he saved the life of all mankind.“ Holy Qur’an, chapter 5 vs. 32

WOOOOOOT. Do you even know the slightest thing about Islam

If you really knew Islam, youd be Muslim if Allah (swt) willed or youd have a respect for the religion

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bagration)
    Either you didn't or you're illiterate because the OP specifically mentions that Islamic law would be voluntary.
    How can it be voluntary. That's just ridiculous:rolleyes: You seriously think that would work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilangel890)
    How can it be voluntary. That's just ridiculous:rolleyes: You seriously think that would work.
    That is already the case in arbitration, which is what the OP is advocating (if you actually, you know, read his posts) whereby two people can voluntarily make an agreement based on whatever law they fancy, Muslim, Jewish, etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    Or, we do what we do now
    I agree with you.

ReputationRep:
    A fair point. To which I'd respond by saying do you think that a man who would force his wife or daughter into opting into a system of justice she didn't want would allow his wife or daughter to launch a civil case against him? I doubt it. I believe that a woman in that position would probably end up getting a Sharia decision (or no legal decision at all) whether we allow Sharia Courts or not. Having legitimate Sharia courts would mean that the woman would see some form of justice as opposed to none at all.
    Hmm, that made me think, but if said man would not allow his wife to launch a case in normal courts, then why would he allow her to pursue a case in sharia courts? There is nothing to suggest he would allow himself to be punished (albeit not in a criminal manner) just because the court followed his own religion.

Besides, I think that in today's society, it's very hard for someone to be prevented from opening a case against someone, there is a lot of help available.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by olly_springs)
    Hmm, that made me think, but if said man would not allow his wife to launch a case in normal courts, then why would he allow her to pursue a case in sharia courts? There is nothing to suggest he would allow himself to be punished (albeit not in a criminal manner) just because the court followed his own religion.

Besides, I think that in today's society, it's very hard for someone to be prevented from opening a case against someone, there is a lot of help available.
    Again, that's a fair point. I'd argue that, while there are some *******s who would prevent their wives from pursuing even a sharia judgment, there would be some people for whom sharia is a deep matter of faith. They might prevent their wives from seeking a judgment in (what they see to be) an illegitimate court, but might be compelled by their faith to have the case heard in a sharia court if their wife wishes it. Indeed, they would be committing a sin in the eyes of their religion if they failed to have the case heard against the wishes of their wife. Or something.

The second point is that the wife might, by social and cultural pressures, be unwilling to have a case heard in a county court (perhaps she doesn't know enough about British Justice and fears the proceedings or her family, husband or faith are holding her back) but will be more willing to ask for a sharia judgment (her family may be more prepared to accept this or whatever).

ReputationRep:
    Again, that's a fair point. I'd argue that, while there are some *******s who would prevent their wives from pursuing even a sharia judgment, there would be some people for whom sharia is a deep matter of faith. They might prevent their wives from seeking a judgment in (what they see to be) an illegitimate court, but might be compelled by their faith to have the case heard in a sharia court if their wife wishes it. Indeed, they would be committing a sin in the eyes of their religion if they failed to have the case heard against the wishes of their wife. Or something.

The second point is that the wife might, by social and cultural pressures, be unwilling to have a case heard in a county court (perhaps she doesn't know enough about British Justice and fears the proceedings or her family, husband or faith are holding her back) but will be more willing to ask for a sharia judgment (her family may be more prepared to accept this or whatever).
    Lol this is all getting too complicated, I don't really know enough about the funny ways of muslims to comment, but I read in some politics lesson that if we don't stick to the rule of law then lots of bad things will happen

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tristanperry)
    Nope.

If Muslims don't like our law (civil or otherwise), they don't have to be here.

Just as if I (as a Christian) didn't like the law (civil or otherwise) in a Muslim country, I wouldn't have to stay there.
    Totally agree.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.