The Student Room Group

Religious studies buddhism

Does the Dalai Lama and Thich Nhat Hanh represent new and different expressions of Buddhism??? I literally can’t get my head round this can someone please help
Reply 1
Original post by Girlbyeee
Does the Dalai Lama and Thich Nhat Hanh represent new and different expressions of Buddhism??? I literally can’t get my head round this can someone please help

They can be considered as representing the same expressions of Buddhism because...
1. Thich Nhat Hanh and the Dalai Lama have been leading proponents of Socially Engaged Buddhism which is aimed at giving to Buddhism a new and innovative expression.
2. New and innovative expressions of Buddhism require a new understanding of what is key to Buddhism. Through their understanding of kindness, compassion and non-harming, this has been achieved by the Dalai Lama and Thich Nhat Hanh.

However...
1. The Dalai Lama and Thich Nhat Hanh have not developed new and innovative expressions of Buddhism - rather they have used skilful means and adapted traditional Buddhism to fit in with the modern world.
2. The Dalai Lama and Thich Nhat Hanh have only developed new and innovative expressions in a very small area of Buddhism e.g. mindfulness, meditation, the search for happiness.
3. The Dalai Lama and Thich Nhat Hanh have only given new and innovative expressions of Tibetan Buddhism and Thien (Zen) - not of Theravada, Pure Land or Nichiren Buddhism.
4. The Dalai Lama and Thich Nhat Hanh have only developed new and innovative expressions in a very small area of Buddhism e.g. mindfulness, meditation, the search for happiness

To conclude...
1. The Dalai Lama and Thich Nhat Hanh are effective communicators of Buddhism, but there is nothing new or innovative in what they have to teach.
2. The shift from abstract and metaphysical ideas such as karma, rebirth and even enlightenment, towards kindness, compassion and non-harm is a new and innovative expression of Buddhism for which the Dalai Lama and Thich Nhat Hanh are responsible.
3. Both the Dalai Lama and Thich Nhat Hanh have simply continued to use skilful means and to provide more fingers pointing to the moon.

I hope this helped! :heart:
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 2
Original post by fr3ts
They can be considered as representing the same expressions of Buddhism because...
1. Thich Nhat Hanh and the Dalai Lama have been leading proponents of Socially Engaged Buddhism which is aimed at giving to Buddhism a new and innovative expression.
2. New and innovative expressions of Buddhism require a new understanding of what is key to Buddhism. Through their understanding of kindness, compassion and non-harming, this has been achieved by the Dalai Lama and Thich Nhat Hanh.

However...
1. The Dalai Lama and Thich Nhat Hanh have not developed new and innovative expressions of Buddhism - rather they have used skilful means and adapted traditional Buddhism to fit in with the modern world.
2. The Dalai Lama and Thich Nhat Hanh have only developed new and innovative expressions in a very small area of Buddhism e.g. mindfulness, meditation, the search for happiness.
3. The Dalai Lama and Thich Nhat Hanh have only given new and innovative expressions of Tibetan Buddhism and Thien (Zen) - not of Theravada, Pure Land or Nichiren Buddhism.
4. The Dalai Lama and Thich Nhat Hanh have only developed new and innovative expressions in a very small area of Buddhism e.g. mindfulness, meditation, the search for happiness

To conclude...
1. The Dalai Lama and Thich Nhat Hanh are effective communicators of Buddhism, but there is nothing new or innovative in what they have to teach.
2. The shift from abstract and metaphysical ideas such as karma, rebirth and even enlightenment, towards kindness, compassion and non-harm is a new and innovative expression of Buddhism for which the Dalai Lama and Thich Nhat Hanh are responsible.
3. Both the Dalai Lama and Thich Nhat Hanh have simply continued to use skilful means and to provide more fingers pointing to the moon.

I hope this helped! :heart:

You are amazing! Thank you <3
Reply 3
You are amazing! Thank you <3

No problem, love! <3
I am a Buddhist, so feel free to ask anything else.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 4
Original post by fr3ts
No problem, love! <3
I am a Buddhist, so feel free to ask anything else.

Omg if you don’t mind me asking, if you were to write up an essay on this, what would your introduction and line of argument be like?
Reply 5
Omg if you don’t mind me asking, if you were to write up an essay on this, what would your introduction and line of argument be like?

It's not a problem! :bubbles:

For the introduction, I would introduce what Thich Nhat Hanh and the Dalai Lama are. If you would like, here is what I would write:
Thich Nhat Hanh is a world-renowned Zen master, writer, poet, scholar, and peacemaker. With the exception of the Dalai Lama, he is today's best known Buddhist teacher. He is the author of more than one hundred books including bestsellers Peace Is Every Step, The Miracle of Mindfulness, Living Buddha, Living Christ and Anger. Dalai Lama is a title given by the Tibetan people to the foremost spiritual leader of the Gelug or "Yellow Hat" school of Tibetan Buddhism, the newest and most dominant of the four major schools of Tibetan Buddhism. The 14th and current Dalai Lama is Tenzin Gyatso, who lives as a refugee in India.

Regarding my argument, I would argue that the Dalai Lama and Thich Nhat Hanh both presented a very much simplified expression of Buddhism for the masses but didn't preach new or innovative teachings.

If you're really stuck, try using my structure (below) with all of the ideas from this thread:

- Paragraph 1 - short introduction
- *See the defenitions above and copy paste them, unless you are being checked for plagarism, then run them through https://quillbot.com/*
- *Thesis statement*: I *evaluative phrases such as strongly or partially* support the claim that (e.g: the Dalai Lama and Thich Nhat Hanh represent new and different expressions of Buddhism) because…

- Paragraph 2 & 3 : one agreement, one disagreement
- In support of my argument, some such as… would also agree.
- They think this because… *use points from #2*
- This is (e.g) a strong/convincing/substantial/robust argument because… *you could research some evidence, for example, what have Buddhists themself said*
- Therefore, this view supports the statement.
- However, others such as atheists/humanists may disagree because…
- This is (e.g) am unconvincing/unpersuasive/unsuccessful/ weak argument to contradict the statement because… *you could research some evidence, for example, what other people have said*
- although/therefore, the stronger argument is… because… / this could, therefore be argued as the most important reason because…

- Paragraph 4 justified conclusion
- Having considered all arguments, it seems to me that…
- This is because… *contradict or support an old argument*
- This is the strongest overall argument because it teaches Christians/Muslims/everyone that… or this is the weakest overall argument because one it is wrong to assume that one believes…/what if…?
- However, I must also admit that *other argument* because…
- In conclusion, I agree/disagree because…

This took way too long... I hope you like it! :heart:
Reply 6
Original post by fr3ts
It's not a problem! :bubbles:

For the introduction, I would introduce what Thich Nhat Hanh and the Dalai Lama are. If you would like, here is what I would write:
Thich Nhat Hanh is a world-renowned Zen master, writer, poet, scholar, and peacemaker. With the exception of the Dalai Lama, he is today's best known Buddhist teacher. He is the author of more than one hundred books including bestsellers Peace Is Every Step, The Miracle of Mindfulness, Living Buddha, Living Christ and Anger. Dalai Lama is a title given by the Tibetan people to the foremost spiritual leader of the Gelug or "Yellow Hat" school of Tibetan Buddhism, the newest and most dominant of the four major schools of Tibetan Buddhism. The 14th and current Dalai Lama is Tenzin Gyatso, who lives as a refugee in India.

Regarding my argument, I would argue that the Dalai Lama and Thich Nhat Hanh both presented a very much simplified expression of Buddhism for the masses but didn't preach new or innovative teachings.

If you're really stuck, try using my structure (below) with all of the ideas from this thread:

- Paragraph 1 - short introduction
- *See the defenitions above and copy paste them, unless you are being checked for plagarism, then run them through https://quillbot.com/*
- *Thesis statement*: I *evaluative phrases such as strongly or partially* support the claim that (e.g: the Dalai Lama and Thich Nhat Hanh represent new and different expressions of Buddhism) because…

- Paragraph 2 & 3 : one agreement, one disagreement
- In support of my argument, some such as… would also agree.
- This is (e.g) a strong/convincing/substantial/robust argument because… *you could research some evidence, for example, what have Buddhists themself said*
- Therefore, this view supports the statement.
- However, others such as atheists/humanists may disagree because…
- This is (e.g) am unconvincing/unpersuasive/unsuccessful/ weak argument to contradict the statement because… *you could research some evidence, for example, what other people have said*
- although/therefore, the stronger argument is… because… / this could, therefore be argued as the most important reason because…

- Paragraph 4 justified conclusion
- Having considered all arguments, it seems to me that…
- This is because… *contradict or support an old argument*
- This is the strongest overall argument because it teaches Christians/Muslims/everyone that… or this is the weakest overall argument because one it is wrong to assume that one believes…/what if…?
- However, I must also admit that *other argument* because…
- In conclusion, I agree/disagree because…

This took way too long... I hope you like it! :heart:

I literally cannot thank you enough!! You are a literal star tysmmm x i understand it a lotttt more better now!❤️
Reply 7
I literally cannot thank you enough!! You are a literal star tysmmm x i understand it a lotttt more better now!❤️

You're getting a follow, and rep! <3
Have a wonderful day, and I'm glad I could help. Let me know if you need anything else. :crazy:
Reply 8
Original post by fr3ts
You're getting a follow, and rep! <3
Have a wonderful day, and I'm glad I could help. Let me know if you need anything else. :crazy:

You too! <33

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending