Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm hopeless at identifying metre...so, if you have: -

"Oh! what's the matter? What's the matter?
    What is't that ails young Harry Gill?
    That evermore his teeth they chatter,
    Chatter, chatter, chatter still."

- what's the metre? I know the eight syllable lines are iambic tetrameter, but 9 syllables? How do you classify that??

(I really, really detest Wordsworth. Give me Larkin back from the good old AS poetry any day...)

ReputationRep:
    Tetrameter (but not all eight-syllable lines are iambic tetrameter: they could be trochaic). There are four main stresses, and it's all iambic; A rhymes are just feminine (so have an additional unstressed syllable on the end), the B rhymes masculine. It's a very standard ballad stanza. What's more interesting is that the last line misses an upbeat. You need to get over parsing stuff into feet though, because that's not actually how metre is constructed or experiences. Count the stresses and then see whether the rhythm is rising (ie. iambic or anapaestic) or falling (ie. trochaic or dactylic).

ReputationRep:
    iambic is a unstressed then stressed syllable, and there are many other types of syllable groups (the joys of which you get to be confused about at university)

the lines aren't all the same length, but if i remember this poem correctly, each stanza has the same rhyme and rhythm.

Wordsworth is seriously good, and the exams pretty easy once you get round the whole imagination and power of nature concept, although I am jealous of Larkin (we did Hardy for AS, so depressing!)

you don't really need to mention metre though unless you're relating it to the question, as just identifying the metre might make you sound clever, but it won't gain you any marks unless you use it to make a point!

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.