The Student Room Group

Do calories matter

Many times I eat a lot of calories and don't gain any weight. Do they really matter?
Original post by Diva11
Many times I eat a lot of calories and don't gain any weight. Do they really matter?

You may eat a lot but depending how much you burn will dictate weight gain / loss.

I.e you could eat 5000 calories a day but if you burn 5100 you arent going to put on weight.

You need to be in a ‘Calorific surplus’ to gain weight and a ‘deficit’ to lose it. Its that simple
Reply 2
Well yes but NO. They matter in the sense of eat freely focusing on the nutrition rather than calories but calorie calculating could get you to your goal -if you have one- faster than if not. Eating more calories that you burn will cause you to gain weight and eating less calories than you burn will make you lose weight.
One thing I must say is do not obsess over calories, use them as a rough guideline if anything because eating disorders are NOT fun.
Original post by Diva11
I don't think so it's really matter but you should do a little bit walk after eating ...
Original post by Diva11

Losing weights is mainly a matter of metabolism. The better it works, the more calories you lose. You seem to have a good one.

Quick Reply