Turn on thread page Beta

Would coming from the Singapore A-Levels system mean a lower offer from UK unis? watch

ReputationRep:
    :confused: :confused: :confused: ...

ReputationRep:
    don't think so... I have A's tomorrow... GG Biology
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I doubt it.

ReputationRep:
    Probably not. I've heard of seniors (when I went to school in Singapore) getting AAAA offers, and in the earlier days AAAA + 1D in S paper offers, while Britons got AAAs.

ReputationRep:
    If (lets hope it does not happen though) I dont get AAA / AAB, do u think it is a good idea to take UK A Levels after that ?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Contact the individual universities and ask them. Only they will be able to tell you. I've heard of those doing HK A-Levels receiving slightly lower offers (at most one grade lower), though I'm sure it will also depend greatly on your reference and personal statement.

ReputationRep:
    Depends on whether the university allows retakes for their courses! But if they do, sure why not? There is likely to be quite a fair bit of overlap between the two papers but you need to study for kidneys, lungs, organs if you're taking the current H2 syllabus... If I'm not wrong viral and bacterial genetics and genetic expression is out too

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else..?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Valour)
    If (lets hope it does not happen though) I dont get AAA / AAB, do u think it is a good idea to take UK A Levels after that ?
    No, that would be a waste of two years. You should retake your own A levels or apply to a university with lower entry requirements.

ReputationRep:
    Nah, I think if that ever happens I would most likely take a foundation program at St andrews, Warwick, Durham etc. or take uk a levels in my own country? Sg a levels is much much harder than uk a levels, at least in the grading system
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Valour)
    Nah, I think if that ever happens I would most likely take a foundation program at St andrews, Warwick, Durham etc. or take uk a levels in my own country? Sg a levels is much much harder than uk a levels, at least in the grading system
    This isn't entirely on topic, I suppose, but why do you think they're so much harder?

ReputationRep:
    Singapore has one of the most rigorous academic systems in the world(although HK's is more difficult).
    Unlike UK which has grade inflation, the grading system in Singapore's A Levels is much much stricter. I don't have much solid evidences to give you but here are some:

http://www.asiaone.com/News/Educatio...611-70216.html
    http://towardsuni.is-there.net/conve...w-differences/
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=349397
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by hobnob)
    This isn't entirely on topic, I suppose, but why do you think they're so much harder?
    Even in the UK, there tends to be acceptance that HK and SG A-Levels are harder than current UK A-Levels.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by .ACS.)
    Even in the UK, there tends to be acceptance that HK and SG A-Levels are harder than current UK A-Levels.
    Sorry, I don't actually know much about UK A-levels either because I never sat them - it was an entirely innocent question, because I just always assumed A-levels were standardised across countries.:dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hobnob)
    Sorry, I don't actually know much about UK A-levels either because I never sat them - it was an entirely innocent question, because I just always assumed A-levels were standardised across countries.:dontknow:
    It's okay :woo:

Anyone else?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 19, 2008
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.