Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Well I am 17, and have been looking for a normal Bank account where I could put money in, possible wages would be able to go in, and I would be able to use a card to purchase items etc.

I saw on the Halifax website, a bank account called EasyCash account, I read up on it and it seemed like it would cater to what I wanted for in an account.

I applied online for it, and I am wondering, when do you receive the package, and how long did it take for halifax to state whether you are eligible for it.

One more thing, it asked what I will be using the account for, and none of the categories I came under. Because not yet do I have a job, so I put family gift:|...Stupid yes, but at that time I thought they meant a gift from the family to me or something like that..because if I don't get a job (50/50), the money will be just allowance given to me by parents.. Is that a big deal that I put the wrong answer? Because even when I tried to select salary, it wouldn't let me and the other options I didn't come under, wasn't sure what i would write under the 'other' option.

Sorry for the long post, just looking for experiences on applying for the easycash account and its uses.

ReputationRep:
    They will most probably ask for more information, such as proof of address and proof of identity, but you should get a response in about a week I reckon. I did when I opened my Halifax Savings.

Um, generally they use it to have a rough idea of how much money you will be putting into the account, they use it for credit usually so I wouldn't worry about it unless you are going to be getting an overdraft of credit card when you're 18.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm thank you Orthala!

Anyone else who has easycash account, want to tell me if you have had any problems etc.

I have heard you must deposit £10 at self service machines to activate the card! is that true?

ReputationRep:
    There is usually some deposit required to get the card and chequebook - when I opened a normal current account with the HBOS it was £100, but it's probably different for other accounts.

They will probably write sending you some details and asking you to present proof of name and address at a branch.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm I just re-read the terms and conditions and it said something about putting in a tenner, plus many people who have this account told me also.

For those who applied for any Halifax account, did it ever take under a week to get an email from them. Because I got an interview on wednesday and some say they ask for account details :|

ReputationRep:
    Is there a way to check the progress of your application?

ReputationRep:
    Anyone?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 19, 2008
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.