House sharing woes. Watch

Ivich
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Ok, so I'm in halls, and I've been told that it's time to start looking for a house for next year. I realise that you have to start early in order to get somewhere half decent, but my problem is that I don't think I've met the people I want to live with yet.

Don't get me wrong, I have a lot of friends at uni, and people have asked me to share with them, but none of them are in an arrangement that I'd really be happy with. For example, 2 girls from my current flat have asked me if I want to go with them, which would be great as we really get on. However they're also sharing with some other girls who, although they're really nice, just aren't my kind of people at all, and I don't think I'd be comfortable living with them. Also, I'm used to having a lot of male friends, and am currently in a mixed flat, so I don't know if an all-female house would be for me.

So, the way I see it, I have 3 options;

1. Just share with the girls, and see how it goes. I could always move out in my third year, but due to contracts etc. I'd probably be stuck there until then.
2. Wait until a bit later and see if I meet some people that I could share with. If not, find a house from an advert or something with other people I don't know. I realise that this is a risk, but there's a chance that it could go really well.
3. Again wait for a while, and if I still can't find a house, then move home and commute. This would be about 2 hours each way, but would probably only be three days a week.

Has anyone got any other ideas? This is really stressing me out, I've only been here for six weeks and already I'm expected to choose housemates for the next year or two, argh!
LO :)
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I wouldn't do 3 as you might find a 2 hour commute a struggle in second year with more work to do.

I'd probably do 1 and share with the girls your from your flat now. Thats because I'd rather be sure theres some people I'd get on with in the house than none. Plus you have lived with them before and so know their habits etc. If you live with people you dont know you could end up hating it and then be stuck there.

I'll be at home next year but if I were having to choose people to live with now I'd struggle as well, its really early.
Zoeeee
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
You don't need to decide yet, most people don't start looking for houses until after christmas at the earliest.
Ipso Facto
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yeah no need to worry about it yet- I only made up my mind right at the end of the second term and there were plenty of houses still around then- give it some time and see how you feel after Christmas- realistically you've probably got until February to make a decision...and maybe even longer!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1111)
79.07%
Leave (294)
20.93%

Watched Threads