The Student Room Group

How hard is Sociology?

I'm planning take Sociology AQA as a private candidate (home studying).

1) Is it possible to revise the A-Level content in one academic year ready for the exams in May 2023 if i grind it?

2) How hard is the subject itself? Compared to Literature and Psychology, I'm thinking it's a lot of writing and memorizing.

PS - I'm also taking English Literature and Psychology as my second and third options, both that I have taken before and both essay subjects.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 1
the actual content is pretty easy to follow along and understand, and exam and essay structure is straightforward imo. if you’re good at memorising large amounts of info quickly then you should be fine but be warned it is a LOT to memorise
Original post by m184
the actual content is pretty easy to follow along and understand, and exam and essay structure is straightforward imo. if you’re good at memorising large amounts of info quickly then you should be fine but be warned it is a LOT to memorise

How much specifically do you need to memorise?

Everything on the textbook memorise?
Original post by McDonaldsEmploy
How much specifically do you need to memorise?

Everything on the textbook memorise?

It's not a pub quiz, where you 'memorise' everything, ready to vomit it out in the examination. It's much more a test of understanding, synthesis and academic criticism, which you don't achieve by memorisation.

I'd strongly advise you get a tutor if you can afford one, who can help you with this crucial aspect of the course.
Original post by Reality Check
It's not a pub quiz, where you 'memorise' everything, ready to vomit it out in the examination. It's much more a test of understanding, synthesis and academic criticism, which you don't achieve by memorisation.

I'd strongly advise you get a tutor if you can afford one, who can help you with this crucial aspect of the course.

I did Psychology AQA, I think entirety of Sociology bears striking resemblance to a topic called "Issues & Debates" on its Paper 3.
where its a heavy mix of memorization of theories and formulating your own answers for the AO3.

Quick Reply

Latest