Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    hello, basically, have done a degree and masters in politics and IR, i think will do a secondary pgce in history. on the side, ive done/will do courses at York uni in italian and have also done my FA football coaching courses levels 1 and 2.

therefore my questions are--
    - if i got a job at a school or sixth form, would i firstly be able to teach politics and history?
    -- would i be able to teach PE/football with my FA badges or would i need some more first aid training to be able to teach PE?
    --- would i be able to teach Italian if i reached the required level, as some schools now offer it?
    ---- is it possible to teach multiple things like im suggesting here in a school or 6th form?
    ---- do you get paid extra if you do teach multiple things, for example if i did do history/politics and PE?

any answers would be greatly appreciated thanks.

ReputationRep:
    anyone???

ReputationRep:
    1) if u have checked that u would qualify for a history PGCE you would obv be able to teach this. I know some sixth forms teach government + politics a level so ud certainly qualify for this.
    2) not sure but i expect u might be able to teach PE at a lower level - depends on the needs of the school u applied to work in and whether they r prepared to send u on any additional courses u required...but if u were willing to help run a football team etc it wld make u look good at interview.
    3) it is possible to teach multiple things, e.g i know many PE teachers also have a second subject that they might teach up to year 9 such a maths or geography. Humanities teachers etc tend to teach subjects more similar to their own e.g citizenship, sociology. u dont get paid extra for teaching multiple subjects cos ur still just teaching the same amount of time as others. I think u may get a golden hello or start on a higher salary in subjects where there is a teacher shortage such as physics, maths.
    Not enitrely sure about the Italian, but again it would be an attractive option for any school, and may even give u the opportunity to teach abroad if u wish.

hope i have answered some of ur queries, just based on what i know coz my sister is a secondary school teacher and i have also looked into it as an option. dnt shoot me if im wrong :-)

ReputationRep:
    Only a brief reply but I just want to question why you want to spread yourself everywhere? At an interview I'm sure they'd rather you be ace at Politics and History rather than go 'I want to do this subject and that subject and this subject'. Does that make sense? Mention that you hold an interest in Italian and P.E and it would make you look good but I wouldn't push to do it all as they'd primarily be employing you as a 'whatever' teacher.

I do admit that the fact that you can do and assist with other things is going to look good, I personally think that you should show your passion and enthusiasm for your main subject. Only my opinion though.

ReputationRep:
    There's no reason why you wouldn't be able to teach Italian if you reached the required level.

And you don't get paid extra for teaching multiple subjects per se - you get paid normally according to the number of HOURS you are teaching (so in an indirect way, teaching multiple subjects could mean you get paid more as it increases the number of hours you could be teaching).

Can't help with the rest though I'm afraid.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.