Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have my mind set on taking Maths, French and Chemistry but apart from that I would like to choose 1 from:
    - Biology
    - History
    - Government and Politics
    - Further Maths
    - Physics
    I am naturally talented in the Maths and Science field and I am fairly good at History GCSE (A in coursework and predicted B in exams). I'm quite likely to do something science related at university. I'm worried that if I do History for my 4th A-Level, I won't be able to do something scientific at uni.

My predicted GCSE's are A*A*AAABBBCC (the A*'s and A's in Science, Maths and Statistics).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by confused.me)
    I have my mind set on taking Maths, French and Chemistry but apart from that I would like to choose 1 from:
    - Biology
    - History
    - Further Maths
    - Physics
    I am naturally talented in the Maths and Science field and I am fairly good at History GCSE (A in coursework and predicted B in exams). I'm quite likely to do something science related at university. I'm worried that if I do History for my 4th A-Level, I won't be able to do something scientific at uni.

My predicted GCSE's are A*A*AAABBBCC (the A*'s and A's in Science, Maths and Statistics).
    FM or physics, as long as you don't get bored with numbers (otherwise I'd say Biology).

ReputationRep:
    Physics would be a good choice because it involves elements of both Maths and Science... but that's at phd research level, not sure about A-levels though :s

ReputationRep:
    what syllabus is history?

ReputationRep:
    I do History A-level and love it, but you might find it difficult if, as you say, you're best at sciences and maths. That said its sometimes nice to do something a bit different, so something like history would be good for that. If you want to do something scientific at uni then Biology might be a good choice as it works well with chemistry and some science courses might want it.

ReputationRep:
    do another science then, like FM or physics or biology. You've got French as your 'rounded' subject

:viking:

ReputationRep:
    I did M,Ph,Ch,FM,Hi,Bio at A level. I found History to be 'easy' but it it took up alot of time towards exams. Bio was the same - both were just remembering facts. If you want to do something scientic at Uni I cannot stress that doing physics will be the most helpful. Admittedly, you will not learn anything in as much detail as at Uni, but it is vital that you understand the properties of waves and have ideas about energy. Chemistry - a good central science. Further maths - you should definitely take this, as you will be at very much and advantage at Uni. May I suggest:

M,FM,Ph,Ch.

ReputationRep:
    If you want to do science at Uni, do another science rather than history. History is VERY timeconsuming as I have discovered...

ReputationRep:
    I certainly don't get bored with numbers but I can't see myself studying something Maths or Physics related at uni. I think Biology might be the best option because I find it more engaging and I suppose I'm more interested in those fields.

The History would be Empire & Freedom (EDEXCEL).

Also, do you think that I should try and do Maths, Chemistry, Biology, French and History at first and if I find the workload too heavy, drop History?

Thanks for the quick replies.

Yeah, I heard that History would be quite time consuming, what with all the essays. I reckon that time may be better spent working really hard on my sciences.

How did anyone find A-Level French?

ReputationRep:
    I certainly don't get bored with numbers but I can't see myself studying something Maths or Physics related at uni. I think Biology might be the best option because I find it more engaging and I suppose I'm more interested in those fields.

Also, do you think that I should try and do Maths, Chemistry, Biology, French and History at first and if I find the workload too heavy, drop History?

Yeah, I heard that History would be quite time consuming, what with all the essays. I reckon that time may be better spent working really hard on my sciences.

It seems time-consuming so maybe it's easier to concentrate on four than juggle five. AFAIK all you need is 4 good A levels.

ReputationRep:
    French is def. a step-up from GCSE, but well worth doing.... For me, I choose my A levels on my strengths and on what I think i might want to do at university.... I also did the morrisby test which was very helpful.... :yep:

ReputationRep:
    If i was you i wouldn't do french if you're not going to get an A* in it because there is a big gap in difficulty between gcse and A-level.

You could then do maths chemistry history and biology or physics.

Biology is probably easier. Economics is also a good a-level to do if you're gd with numbers. It might help if you gave as an idea of which science you'd like to do most at uni or what job you're interested in after uni.

ReputationRep:

Possibly, I kinda wish I did physics or Further Maths at AS rather than history. I did history cos I thought a contrasting subject would be nice, and I mean, it's alright, but it is definitely the most time-consuming subject I do.

ReputationRep:
    Physics or f. maths if you are gifted in both.

ReputationRep:
    if you want to go into sciencey based then another science (i'd pick biology myself) or further maths
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    Don't do Biology :no:

Save yourself.

ReputationRep:
    - Biology
    - History
    - Further Maths
    - Physics

I would say take Biology, but then I'm slightly biased
    My friend took french and he has a really good grasp of the grammar and found it to be harder than any of his other subjects, (took physics, maths and chemistry). I know he would say to have a real think about it because he was dissapointed when he got a B.

If you want to do something scientific at uni, then there's really no substitute for the three sciences and maths imo. But it's up to you. I definitely regret not taking more sciences.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by natty_d)
    French is def. a step-up from GCSE, but well worth doing.... For me, I choose my A levels on my strengths and on what I think i might want to do at university.... I also did the morrisby test which was very helpful.... :yep:
    What's the Morrisby Test?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piece_by_piece)
    Don't do Biology :no:

Save yourself.
    Why?

ReputationRep:
    do further maths. otherwise the other options are essays

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.