The Student Room Group

English Literature and Lang online resources, please!

I am planning on studying for English today however I don’t know where to actually start.
I think I might know for literature: understanding the character’s themes and memorising quotes but what about language? How do I improve my structure and vocabulary? Are there any online resources that can help me with it? I don’t want to start using past papers as I will not have any by the time in Year 11. (I am currently in year 10) I currently use PEEZL.

Please help! Thanks
Original post by studyisnotbad
I am planning on studying for English today however I don’t know where to actually start.
I think I might know for literature: understanding the character’s themes and memorising quotes but what about language? How do I improve my structure and vocabulary? Are there any online resources that can help me with it? I don’t want to start using past papers as I will not have any by the time in Year 11. (I am currently in year 10) I currently use PEEZL.

Please help! Thanks

Hiya there,

Yep, so for English Literature I personally made mindmaps of the different themes and characters, with quotes being the main focus. I would suggest doing this, so for each character/theme you write the name down in the middle of a paper, then surround it with quotes, then branch off those quotes with your own interpretations and analysis. This should help organise the different quotes in your head!

For Eng Lang, I would recommend a) reading more frequently to increase your vocabulary, b) doing more past paper questions and getting your teachers to mark them, and c) making a list of the common techniques you'd find in a text that you can analyse. In terms of online resources, there are some great YouTube channels out there, so I recommend searching something like 'how to improve english language gcse' and you'll find a whole host of useful videos :u:.

Lmk if this helps!

Marimo
UCL Y3 Med Student
Study Mind
Original post by studyisnotbad

Please help! Thanks

In year 10, i mainly worked on expanding my vocabulary - specifically learning new ambitious words and learning how to create ambitious sentences with language techniques. Pinterest was actually really useful because it gives you words that you can use compared to others eg- “really happy - ecstatic” . Maybe try and find random scenery pictures and write creative stories. You can also find example creative writing stories and you can use some phrases and sentences in your writing :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest