Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    A triangle is formed by the lines y=1/2x, 2x+y+5=0 and x+3y-5=0. Prove that the triangle is an isosceles.

i knw this Questions not some challenging tricky mission but i cant get my head around some of these and really need to have them done by the end of today. thankyou sO much

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swirlwood)
    A triangle is formed by the lines y=1/2x, 2x+y+5=0 and x+3y-5=0. Prove that the triangle is an isosceles.

i knw this Questions not some challenging tricky mission but i cant get my head around some of these and really need to have them done by the end of today. thankyou sO much
    Find lengths of each line, two lines will have same length, therefore triangle is isosceles.

ReputationRep:

Maybe I'm missing something but isnt y=1/2x a curve and therefore it won't form a triangle?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Merlinedge)
    Maybe I'm missing something but isnt y=1/2x a curve and therefore it won't form a triangle?

I assume it's y=0.5x, rather than y=1/(2x)

EDIT: My explanation above is wrong, as it doesn't give coordinates. I didn't read your question properly and assumed it was the usual coordinate providing style.

ReputationRep:

Having thought about it more, draw each line to get the triangle. Then find the length of each line, and two lengths will be equal.

ReputationRep:
    it wont be a curve because it is x^1

ReputationRep:
    yep i thought of that too. but then i thought maybe finding th points of intersection would help...doesnt seem to be doing any good though :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laith)
    it wont be a curve because it is x^1
    He thought it was a reciprocal graph (i.e. 1/x).

ReputationRep:
    yep i thought of that too. but then i thought maybe finding th points of intersection would help...doesnt seem to be doing any good though :confused:
    It does help.

Draw the triangle by drawing the lines.

You will get points of intersection. This allows you to get the length of each line.

Length = square root of: (different in x coordinates + difference in y coordinates)

When 2 lengths are the same, this is an isosceles.

ReputationRep:
    Two of the lines have length root20, therefore it is isosceles.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaveJ)
    It does help.

Draw the triangle by drawing the lines.

You will get points of intersection. This allows you to get the length of each line.

Length = square root of: (different in x coordinates + difference in y coordinates)

When 2 lengths are the same, this is an isosceles.
    If you mean pythagoras, then would it not be squared root of: ((difference of x)squared)/((difference of y)squared)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by addylad)
    If you mean pythagoras, then would it not be squared root of: ((difference of x)squared)/((difference of y)squared)

length^2 = (diff in x)^2 + (diff in y^2)
    Length = square root of: [ (diff in x)^2 + (diff in y)^2 ]

I'm pretty sure I'm right with that formula.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaveJ)
    Two of the lines have length root20, therefore it is isosceles.
    OoO..I tried that yday and got root 20 for only 1..but i shall try that all again..thankyuu...:p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaveJ)
    length^2 = (diff in x)^2 + (diff in y^2)
    Length = square root of: [ (diff in x)^2 + (diff in y)^2 ]

I'm pretty sure I'm right with that formula.
    That's correct, just I didn't see any ^2 in your original post.

ReputationRep:
    He thought it was a reciprocal graph (i.e. 1/x).
    Ah sorry

ReputationRep:
    ok...i just done the entire Q again...I got root 20 for only one line. the other two I got root root18 and root40..:confused: im making a mistake somewhere

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure I did this Q... but in another book.

How did you draw the lines... did you substitute some x values to get y, and vice versa?

ReputationRep:
    You sure you got the right points of intersection? But I can't think of what could possibly end up in an answer of root40, root20 and root18 so I think it's more likely you calculated the lengths wrong somewhere.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Points of intersection of the lines:
    (-4, 3)
    (-2, -1)
    (2, 1)
    Full solution:
    Spoiler:
    Show

A = (-4, 3)
    B = (-2, -1)
    C = (2, 1)

Length AB: \sqrt{(-1-3)^2 + (-2+4)^2} = \sqrt{16 + 4} = \sqrt{20}
    Length AC: \sqrt{(1-3)^2 + (2+4)^2} = \sqrt{4 + 36} = \sqrt{40}
    Length BC = \sqrt{1+1)^2 + (2+2)^2} = \sqrt{4 + 16} = \sqrt{20}

Therefore the triangle ABC is isoseles with AB and BC being the 2 equal sides.

ReputationRep:
    ahh..i love you..thankyou!

well i took A=(-2,-1), B=(2,1) and C=-4,3)
    AB gave me root18 whilst AC gave me root20.

anyhow..thanks a lot!

ReputationRep:
    That's correct, just I didn't see any ^2 in your original post.

Ah yes, I forgot. :p:

But then you put a dividing sign instead of an addition sign in your correction, so that confused me lol.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.