Turn on thread page Beta

Plz keep anon or delete.
    I'm thinking of going on a trip next year, and don't want to have a nasty shock. I'm female, mixed race (black/white) and so far haven't encountered any racism at all in my life, but i'm not so naive to think I never will. I know that not all of Scotland is, but i'm just wondering if it's one of 'those' countries that has a reputation, such as Australia for example, cos i've heard it's a bit xenophobic.
    I know you can't make a big generalisation, but I just wanted HONEST answers from those that live there or those that have visited/had a personal experience.

ReputationRep:
    um.... they arent as bad as spain.

I mean like, will I get stared at a lot or shouted at? Atm I live in a pretty multicultural area.

ReputationRep:
    lol my brother (who's black) went to scotland, and people were amazed to see a black person over there...that what's he said, but no racism though i think...

ReputationRep:
    No, not really... where abouts are you going exactly?

ReputationRep:
    No racism but you might get oggled at because it's mostly whites

ReputationRep:
    I've been to Scotland, it's not too bad. Not as bad as Wales anyway..

ReputationRep:
    there will be alot of staring. Alot of it. Happens all the time but in their head they're probably thinking of something.

ReputationRep:
    I've lived here for going on 3 years, and I've never heard anything that you could term racist.
    And to those people who say there'll be 'a lot of staring' - :nah:

ReputationRep:
    I've never been aware of its "racist" reputation. It's well known as being a warm and welcoming country. I see no reason why it should be less accepting than England (I actually think England has the worst reputaiton). But, either way, you can't write a full country of as "racist". You'll find idiots anywhere but most will be fine, I'm sure.

ReputationRep:
    am I the only one to ask, how a country can be racist?

(Original post by there's too much love)
    Ok not the country as such, but you know what I mean, like i'm sure you've heard (and there's been threads) that a lot of people in Australia racist - of course this could be perfectly untrue, but it's just one of those rumours.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by there's too much love)
    go to spain and you'll see. Not all of spain but i see it alot in spain.

(Original post by Kalashnikov)
    I've been to Scotland, it's not too bad. Not as bad as Wales anyway..
    What do you mean not too bad? A lot of these replies aren't reassuring me much lol...:o:

ReputationRep:
    Omg what the hell do you think of Scotland people! It's very multi cultured!!!! and loads of different races around in my home town!! God, I'm offended.

ReputationRep:
    Well...I haven't been to Scotland so can't properly answer OPs question...but recently I went to Prague (I'm Indian btw) and I got stared at a lot. Sure I felt quite uncomfortable, and my friend (who's white) picked up on the fact that a lot of people were staring at us...but I wouldn't go so far as to say the Czech people were racist.

I think it's pretty much the equivalent of white people being followed by crowds when they go to Africa, people will stare at unfamiliar things.

(sorry, the post didn't really address Scotland...)

ReputationRep:
    The idea that Scotland is racist is a bit absurd...

There might be a few places (like where I live) that they are not many non-white people and you might get looked at for a few seconds just because people aren't used to seeing non-white people. But that doesn't mean we're all racist!

ReputationRep:
    Well it depends where you are, if you are in the country where theres less people and its a small village type thing there is more likely to be racism because theres less difference but in glasgow there is less likely to be racism becuase people are more adjusted to different people and stuff.

ReputationRep:
    Oh come on... of course it's not racist. You will get racist people, like anywhere, but they're just idiots.

Unless you have an impression of Scotland as a country where everyone lives in remote wee villages and only sees ginger people wearing kilts, I can't see why you're asking. Maybe if you go to one of the remotest parts of Scotland it'll be unusual for them but any city, meh, it's just normal. No one even really notices, it's the same as any other country.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    What do you mean not too bad? A lot of these replies aren't reassuring me much lol...:o:
    It's alright, most of the people there are nice. Of course you'll encounter those few people that will just stare, but I guess you get those people everywhere.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.