Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by River85)
    I've never been aware of its "racist" reputation.
    Imagine if England had a national anthem similar to the Flower of Scotland. I think that's the one that bases its hatred through the English.

ReputationRep:
    Wales is less racist than Scotland. I've stayed in Wales for a year, and Scotland for 5 years.

Scotland is still more friendly than busy cities like London.

ReputationRep:
    I think you won't have any problems if you're mainly going to the larger cities or if you're sticking to touristy spots like St Andrews and so on.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think Scotland is 'racist', though cities like Edinburgh are less ethnically diverse than, say, London (but then again, where isn't?). I suppose it depends upon where you're going in Scotland.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    Imagine if England had a national anthem similar to the Flower of Scotland. I think that's the one that bases its hatred through the English.
    But that's not the Scottish national anthem as it has no official anthem

But what about God Save the Queen, the British National Anthem

"Lord, grant that Marshal Wade,
    May by thy mighty aid,
    Victory bring.
    May he sedition hush and like a torrent rush,
    Rebellious Scots to crush,
    God save the King."

You have to consider this in context, it's not a verse that's used anymore and was written during a time of Jacobite rebellions (as the army were gathering in Newcastle, I think) but it's still quite questionable, was written post the union, and made its way into the British national anthem. National anthems are just that, nationalist. It's to be expected.

I'm probably taking this too seriously, but it's an issue I'm passionate about. Blame my ancestors :p:

Both countries are guilty of this. The OP can't really write of a whole country as being racist.

ReputationRep:
    It's no more racist than anywhere else I've been. It's very anti-English though, especially during big sporting events.

ReputationRep:
    having lived there, i can say that hell yes, the smaller villages are really racist. it's small town mentality though, you'll get that anywhere the UK.

obviously in general cities are going to be more culturally aware

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by River85)
    But that's not the Scottish national anthem as it has no official anthem
    umm... yes it does... im assuming your refering to wikipedia.

at OP: You are the most racist if you think that scottish people are like that

ReputationRep:
    No not at all, although I know someone from Peterhead who almost screamed when an African speaker came through the door's to his school, but the cities are fine, small town's maybe, but not particularly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Higgy90)
    umm... yes it does...
    No it doesn't. It has two or so de facto anthems. It doesn't have an official national anthem (just like England doesn't).

ReputationRep:
    Dont worry, we only **** off the english up here

(j/k, kinda, but na, there are many nigerians and chinese etc up here in Aberdeen, people will only be nasty if you're a ******* which Im sure you're not )

ReputationRep:
    ref: Flower of Scotland

it's a song based on the scottish wars of independence where the english army, led by Edward, raped and pillaged their way through Scotland. So not so much racist to the english but refers to actual events that happened as an important part of scottish history.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like you are the racist one, OP. You are the one condemning all of us based on nothing. Time to look in a mirror perhaps?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I mean like, will I get stared at a lot or shouted at? Atm I live in a pretty multicultural area.
    no

the only xenophobic problem in scotland is sectarianism really

(Original post by [TuckingFypo])
    Haha, you just won the internet.

That guy's a ******* moron though.

ReputationRep:
    I think people from DUMFRIES and Falkirk might be racist. Why? Probably because those places sound like racist places.

One of my closest "friends" at the moment is from Glasgow. She's sexy and not racist. She said she's never been with a black guy before so once I get over my fatigue...I will strike. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    Lord, grant that Marshal Wade,
    May by thy mighty aid,
    Victory bring.
    May he sedition hush and like a torrent rush,
    Rebellious Scots to crush,
    God save the King.

ReputationRep:
    Im gona give a general no to this. No Scotland is not racist.

ReputationRep:
    I don't like all this negativity about small towns and isolated places! We're not racist either XD

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.