Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meteorshower)
    I don't like all this negativity about small towns and isolated places! We're not racist either XD
    Shetland (and Orkney) are anything but racist. Very welcoming in fact.

ReputationRep:
    As long as you're not Irish Catholic you should be okay.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I mean like, will I get stared at a lot or shouted at?
    Yes but not because the Scotish are racist, they are just ******* head cases :p:

ReputationRep:
    My dad, who is a black Jamaican, was posted in Edinburgh for work, and was there on and off for approximately 3 years. He said that given a choice, second to his home country Jamaica, there's no other place in the world he'd rather spend the rest of his life, the people are wonderful and so is the city. That's pretty high praise.

He was trying to convince me to apply there for university, but I'm too scared to live far away from home. :p:

I don't think this is a wrong question to ask, but I understand why people, Scots in particular, are getting offended.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by [TuckingFypo])
    Heh... my mum went to school with that guy.

ReputationRep:
    everyones racist just some admit it more then others

ReputationRep:
    I've not encountered any racism since moving to Scotland

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by River85)
    But that's not the Scottish national anthem as it has no official anthem

But what about God Save the Queen, the British National Anthem

"Lord, grant that Marshal Wade,
    May by thy mighty aid,
    Victory bring.
    May he sedition hush and like a torrent rush,
    Rebellious Scots to crush,
    God save the King."

You have to consider this in context, it's not a verse that's used anymore and was written during a time of Jacobite rebellions (as the army were gathering in Newcastle, I think) but it's still quite questionable, was written post the union, and made its way into the British national anthem. National anthems are just that, nationalist. It's to be expected.

I'm probably taking this too seriously, but it's an issue I'm passionate about. Blame my ancestors :p:

Both countries are guilty of this. The OP can't really write of a whole country as being racist.
    I hate God Save The Queen. Land of Hope and Glory! :yep: But I could mention the German old's first verse, which is still thought to exist. QI has taught me well.

The OP will probably get some looks purely because there are not many non-white people in Scotland. I've had 'looks' when with my girlfriend in Reading. Yes people, interracial relationships exist. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TOSCS)
    As long as you're not Irish Catholic you should be okay.
    ditto that:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SillyFencer)
    Lord, grant that Marshal Wade,
    May by thy mighty aid,
    Victory bring.
    God save the King.
    Is it still used today?

ReputationRep:
    probably

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    Is it still used today?
    I'm pretty sure it was removed when the alliance between england and scotland came into effect.

ReputationRep:
    Is it still used today?
    No. But my point stands.

I think a better question would be "are the English prejudiced against Scots?"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tommm)
    I think a better question would be "are the English prejudiced against Scots?"
    considering she wants to go to scotland on a trip, i doubt it would be

(Original post by Advanced Subsidiary)
    um.... they arent as bad as spain.
    What?
    Are you actually saying that an entire country is racist? or a bunch of people?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I mean like, will I get stared at a lot or shouted at? Atm I live in a pretty multicultural area.
    There are plenty of multi-cultural areas in Scotland, and plenty of very monocultural places too.

(Original post by Anabolicator)
    lol my brother (who's black) went to scotland, and people were amazed to see a black person over there...that what's he said, but no racism though i think...
    These places do indeed exist. There are parts of Scotland with very few immigrants and coloured people, but in general I don't think these are really the places were someone will meet with racism.

(Original post by there's too much love)
    am I the only one to ask, how a country can be racist?
    Well, a 'nation' (which is what Scotland is said to be) is defined as being an area with some element of common culture. As such, it can very much be part of a nation's culture to be isolationist or open and accepting. That is not, of course, to say everyone in adheres to the national culture any more than it is to suggest that all British people love fish and chips.

(Original post by Yazr)
    Omg what the hell do you think of Scotland people! It's very multi cultured!!!! and loads of different races around in my home town!! God, I'm offended.
    And in my home town, there are effectively none. Shockingly, you do not have a monopoly on experience.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by [TuckingFypo])
    He's got some very unpleasant views about 'English subjugation'; just because he's Asian doesn't mean he's not racist.

Imagine if England had a national anthem similar to the Flower of Scotland. I think that's the one that bases its hatred through the English.
    To an extent, yes. But presumably we're not talking about anti-English racism here really. Scotland tends to define itself more or less in relation to England a lot of the time.

(Original post by River85)
    But that's not the Scottish national anthem as it has no official anthem

But what about God Save the Queen, the British National Anthem

"Lord, grant that Marshal Wade,
    May by thy mighty aid,
    Victory bring.
    God save the King."

You have to consider this in context, it's not a verse that's used anymore and was written during a time of Jacobite rebellions (as the army were gathering in Newcastle, I think) but it's still quite questionable, was written post the union, and made its way into the British national anthem. National anthems are just that, nationalist. It's to be expected.

I'm probably taking this too seriously, but it's an issue I'm passionate about. Blame my ancestors :p:

Both countries are guilty of this. The OP can't really write of a whole country as being racist.
    That is not part of the British national anthem and never has been. I'll be happy to explain the history behind the verse if you particularly want, but it is certainly not what you present it to be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    That is not part of the British national anthem and never has been. I'll be happy to explain the history behind the verse if you particularly want, but it is certainly not what you present it to be.
    OK, fair enough, it probably was a bit misleading.

As far as I understand it it was written during the Jacobite rebellions of the 1700s and was a bit of a rallying verse as forces were being mobilsed in Newcastle. It was added to the song then removed (probably before God Save the Queen became the official National Anthem).

But I'm probably wrong.

ReputationRep:
    i think this judgement is absolutely scandalous n cant believe u would even post it!!!
    every where is gonna have people that have a problem with someone cos of their race/gender/sexuality ect
    im absolutely astounded that u would do what u are hopin they dont
    prejudice is awful no matter where it comes from

sorry bout the rant but i hate hypocrytes

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.