Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Is Scotland racist? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by River85)
    OK, fair enough, it probably was a bit misleading.

As far as I understand it it was written during the Jacobite rebellions of the 1700s and was a bit of a rallying verse as forces were being mobilsed in Newcastle. It was added to the song then removed (probably before God Save the Queen became the official National Anthem).
    It was sung at the end in a couple of theatres in London over a couple of months in 1745, and was not even widely known at that time - a version of it as 'a new song' published at that time did, for example, not make note of it - so I doubt you could even say it was included in the definitive version of the song at the time. In fact, the only written record of any first-person account of it is the memory of 'an old man' in a magazine decades later.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    Scotland tends to define itself more or less in relation to England a lot of the time.
    Isn't that a shame? It's not like Canada claims glory in 1812 in O Canada or anything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    Isn't that a shame? It's not like Canada claims glory in 1812 in O Canada or anything.
    Pfft, as far as I'm concerned, the national anthem of Canada is God Save the Queen, with a possible subsidiary of The Maple Leaf Forever.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure its been mentioned before here, If so i'll repeat what's been said already.

Scots hate the English with real venom and bile, they truly do despise them, I've seen it first hand.

Ergo they are racist against the English, its institiutional racism to be honest.

I'm sure I may have sparked a wee bit of contraversy here, I am English after all. (and proud of it actually to all you English hating Scots out there)

ReputationRep:
    Dunno about Spain, but I went to Russia with a black girl and someone took her picture. I kid you not. We were on the Moscow Metro, and this guy just took her picture.

We-ird. But then, I'd imagine the Scots are different to the Russians...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    Pfft, as far as I'm concerned, the national anthem of Canada is God Save the Queen, with a possible subsidiary of The Maple Leaf Forever.
    Yes but Scotland has enough great things to include in an anthem without referring to the English. I just think it's a shame that they do.

ReputationRep:
    I know this might spark a little debate, but in my opinion Scottish people tend to be less racist than English people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
    Dunno about Spain, but I went to Russia with a black girl and someone took her picture. I kid you not. We were on the Moscow Metro, and this guy just took her picture.

May be he thought she's good looking?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mastermind`)
    I think people from DUMFRIES and Falkirk might be racist. Why? Probably because those places sound like racist places.

One of my closest "friends" at the moment is from Glasgow. She's sexy and not racist. She said she's never been with a black guy before so once I get over my fatigue...I will strike. :yep:
    Um guess what, thats my hometown and its not racist(that I know) considering its near the English border plus near Stranraer for the Irish people

Heck my English brother wore a England shirt to a club and had people winding him up and shaking his hand and offering to buy him drinks.

And during the world cup had some English tourists in who started moaning that the Scottish were supporting the other side and the Scottish people came up to them and told them its all in good fun and offered them a drink but the English didnt accept it.

ReputationRep:

This is true. My uncle was a journalist in Russia for about 20 years, and they'd rub his skin to see if the colour would come off (my uncle is darker than coal btw).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dark Sun)
    I'm sure its been mentioned before here, If so i'll repeat what's been said already.

Scots hate the English with real venom and bile, they truly do despise them, I've seen it first hand.

Ergo they are racist against the English, its institiutional racism to be honest.

I'm sure I may have sparked a wee bit of contraversy here, I am English after all. (and proud of it actually to all you English hating Scots out there)
    Mm interesting point. I guess the Scots' hatred for the English is institutional racism, but only in the same way that England's hatred for Scotland, France, Germany, Argentina and Wales is institutional racism. Really, racism rears its head whenever a football is kicked or a rugby ball is thrown, so it could just be seen as banter. Of course, beatings/violence are irresponsible and disgraceful, though.

ReputationRep:

I think saying Scottish people hate the English with "real venom and bile" is a tad extreme. Most of this "hatred" is played up when big sporting events are about and is mainly just friendly banter/competition. The vast majority of Scottish people if not of some sort of English heritage have relatives/family who are english. You are trying to make out Scottish & English are two different species.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mastermind`)
    This is true. My uncle was a journalist in Russia for about 20 years, and they'd rub his skin to see if the colour would come off (my uncle is darker than coal btw).

You are joking!? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    Yes but Scotland has enough great things to include in an anthem without referring to the English. I just think it's a shame that they do.
    Flower of Scotland is a total write-off as a song. Best just ignore that it was ever penned.

(Original post by TI-84)
    I know this might spark a little debate, but in my opinion Scottish people tend to be less racist than English people.
    To be fair, that's because we have substantially less foreign people, and those who do come here are consequently forced to integrate more readily.

If you go looking for unpleasant opinions, chances are you'll find them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FTC199)
    no

the only xenophobic problem in scotland is sectarianism really
    The only xenophobic problem in the west coast of scotland is sectarianism. No one outside the west coast cares about sectarianism as it is not a problem.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sweetliketropicana)
    I think saying Scottish people hate the English with "real venom and bile" is a tad extreme. Most of this "hatred" is played up when big sporting events are about and is mainly just friendly banter/competition. The vast majority of Scottish people if not of some sort of English heritage have relatives/family who are english. You are trying to make out Scottish & English are two different species.
    You'd probably change your mind when surrounded by an angry mob of scots whos only rationale for wanting to kick you to death was because you were English.

Its not about the Scots being a different species, its about them hating the English, which they do on the whole, which is racist.

ReputationRep:
    I want to go to Scotland

ReputationRep:
    No joke, Holly M.

ReputationRep:
    Funnily enough, a friend of mine who travelled to Lesotho told me the same thing happened, but she was white. I guess it's a culture thing.:confused:

ReputationRep:
    You'd probably change your mind when surrounded by an angry mob of scots whos only rationale for wanting to kick you to death was because you were English.

Its not about the Scots being a different species, its about them hating the English, which they do on the whole, which is racist.
    Generalisation perhaps? Some of the vitriol I heard by builders in Manchester towards Londoners on my open day there was much more extreme than anything I've ever heard about Scots to English etc.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.